Rez Creator's Child of Eden Makes Motion Gaming Psychedelic

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rez Creator's Child of Eden Makes Motion Gaming Psychedelic

Tetsuya Mizuguchi's Child of Eden might be the coolest motion gaming experience yet.

The newest game from Tetsuya Mizuguchi, creator of Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/Rez-Online-Game-Code-Xbox-360/dp/B001LRQ988/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276560839&sr=8-2] and Sony's PlayStation Move.

From what we can assume is actual gameplay footage of Child of Eden in the game's E3 2010 trailer, it operates just like Rez. Players shoot enemies that look like they came from a deep sea geometry class field trip on acid (sorry for the corny comparison, but it's true) along to the game's hip musical score.

Halfway through, a person appears that begins to control the action. He takes particular interest in a tentacled ball, but whether this object is an actual focus of the game or not is unknown. It seems like it would be, as the person is shown cleansing the ball which then grows into a tree, which is most likely a representation of the tree of knowledge from the garden of Eden. Hence the game's name.

Either way, it looks like motion gaming will have a very compelling experience in Mizuguchi and Q Entertainment's Child of Eden. It's planned for release on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Apr 28, 2008
Wow. He almost sold me on Kinect.

Definitely a better demonstration then what Microsoft gave us.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
A game for Kinect AND Move? Certainly interesting, given the vastly different technology of the devices. And it was gorgeous, to boot.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
Err... I... umm, I still have no idea what it is you'd actually be doing in the game but it deffinately was a pretty trailer. However, if the released game is anything like that you can guantee Child of Eden will be the hottest game among stoners.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I may have just seen one of the most beautiful things that has come from the games industry. I could be just really easy to please though.

Yassen said:
Err... I... umm, I still have no idea what it is you'd actually be doing in the game but it deffinately was a pretty trailer. However, if the released game is anything like that you can guantee Child of Eden will be the hottest game among stoners.
Rez was like that too.

In fact I wonder if he's going for the synaesthia effect like he did in Rez.

Synaesthia: Merging of the senses pretty much.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
0:19

wait, Pendulum?

Anyway, On topic wow, just, wow... I might just buy Kinect if I ever had the money, just to play this.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Sir Kemper said:

wait, Pendulum?

Anyway, On topic wow, just, wow... I might just buy Kinect if I ever had the money, just to play this.
Looks like one of the album covers. Huh. In Silico I guess?

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
hopeneverdies said:
Sir Kemper said:

wait, Pendulum?

Looks like one of the album covers. Huh. In Silico I guess?
Perhaps, Still, a funny coincience.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It's like Tron and Endless Ocean had a vector-graphics baby and then fed it five pounds of LSD.

It's stuff like that, not endless minigames or hokey knockoffs, that'll sell units like Kinect or Move.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
... That is the trippiest thing I have ever seen. I think I'll get a Kinect [small](I'm still not used to calling it that)[/small] for this... assuming that there are other games for it that I want to.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
As a huge fan of Rez (HD), and Lumines, which I still play quite regularly, I am stoked for this title. Mizuguchi's games are some of my favorites on the Arcade.

I will spring for a Kinect if it means being able to play this. Er, eventually. If that $149 price is right....I'll be waiting a little while...