Freedom to Fail

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Freedom to Fail

There was a time when reflecting on months of cumulative grinding and dungeon crawling wouldn't have phased me. Now, a 15-hour play-through of Mass Effect feels overindulgent.

I'd never have believed it a year ago, but I've become the very creature I once subconsciously scorned and mercilessly slaughtered in Alterac Valley: the casual gamer.

tentaclesex

Nov 30, 2007
"There was a time when reflecting on months of cumulative grinding and dungeon crawling wouldn't have phased me. "

That should be "wouldn't have fazed me." http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/faze

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
Have you heard of a game called Requiem? [http://www.playrequiem.com/]

If your goal is to not become drawn into MMOs again. I would suggest you stay far far away from this one. It's a lot like WoW, but better.

As in different from other games and it sure to get a M rating when it does release, which will hopefully mean less 12yr olds crying nerf because they don't want to defend a base.

Lightbulb

Oct 28, 2007
This is EXACTLY how i feel about MMO's. I just can't let myself play them because i will lose all my free time to them. At least a decent single player game will only hold my attention for days not years...

Dragon-lover

Feb 28, 2008
I can't say I've ever been drawn into MMO's...I guess I'd get bored too quickly from the full-time grind most have. To tell the the only game I ever spent alot of time on was Final fantasy VII. But back in those days FF7 was a cult..

I've sat back and watched friends of mine waste hours and hours on WoW...One of which spends every weekend on it still....The other is slowly returning to the real world.

A.Balthazor

Mar 5, 2008
I recently put down the WoW crack pipe as well. Its not the first time, but hopefully the last.

I much rather have short, easily pause-able game sessions. Games that attempt to put you on an endless path of grinding are pretty unhealthy for anyone with real-life responsibilities.

I think some people are just more prone to the near-obsessiveness that drives some players to become drawn into these types of worlds - every MMORPG I've tried (Everquest, Asheron's Call, Star Wars Galaxies, WoW) always results in the same thing - I play so much, become 'virtually' successful in terms of gear, skill, networking, guild membership - but real-life responsiblities are let to slide.

That doesn't happen if I'm playing Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Oblivion, Bioshock....