Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 22

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 22

Lulzy battles some unfortunately named bandits.

Read Full Article

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
Lol, enjoyed this one (as well as the other ones so far). Not sure if you commented already on this but what are your thoughts for micro-transactions and there use and need in a game.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I can't wait for this game to go free-to-play.

You make it sound pretty good. Although...you're a bard class right? How the hell is the bard class so good at killing all these things?

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

You make it sound pretty good. Although...you're a bard class right? How the hell is the bard class so good at killing all these things?
I imagine it's an issue of balance

OT: This was awesome for the following reasons
1) Shut up.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
On the free-to-play thing: I've played a fair amount of DDO, and while it does have its share of idiots, on a whole the player base still is really not that bad, and above a many other MMOs I've played.

Amarsir

Jul 7, 2009
Loudest possible eyeroll. :)

On the ease of killing, I suspect he's somewaht outleveled this material by now.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
I love reading these, so funny. The things Lulzy get's involved in, all for nice clothes, Sheesh.

ajbell

Poor Impulse Control
Dec 6, 2007
Onyx Oblivion said:

Amarsir said:

On the ease of killing, I suspect he's somewaht outleveled this material by now.
Plus, minstrels are (one of) the primary healing class in LOTRO. They basically heal themselves while chipping away at their foes' health.

SlyderEST

GfWL hater
Apr 7, 2010
ajbell said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Amarsir said:

Plus, minstrels are (one of) the primary healing class in LOTRO. They basically heal themselves while chipping away at their foes' health.
You can never trust bards...

OT: Also, ajbell, you can rearrange your badges to *flame* exe.

ajbell

Poor Impulse Control
Dec 6, 2007
SlyderEST said:
ajbell said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Amarsir said:

You can never trust bards...

OT: Also, ajbell, you can rearrange your badges to *flame* exe.
You're right! But even more awesome, I can spell fecks! Sort of. A bit. If you squint. And are British enough to get "feck" in its full Father Ted glory.

EDIT: Although it hasn't taken yet. Damn. Watch this space.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
*imagines a Matrix style bullet time eyeroll*

Very funny, as usual. :) And your feelings on the F2P change are pretty much in step with those of the rest of the LOTRO playerbase (or at least the ones on the official community boards). A little bit of wondering why and a lot of fear for the community, mixed with the regular worries about continued content delivery and what aort of stuff we're going to have to (or even be able to) buy at the cash shop.

As for Minstrels killing things, yes Shamus is overlevelled for the area. Minstrels, however, are actually surprisingly good at killing things. They are primarily a healing class so just chipping away while kiting and self healing is a perfectly viable strategy. Once they advance a few levels, though, they also become a very capable burst DPS class when set-up to be one. At level cap my moderately set up minstrel is fighting standard enemies with about 4500 hp, and it's not uncommon for her to hit for 1000 to 1500 in a single attack. Well set-up minstrels can hit for over 2000 on a critical hit, and we get them rather often. Sure you can't keep that up for too long without running out of power/mana but minstrels are very capable combatants when set up for the role.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
ajbell said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Amarsir said:

As someone who played a LOTRO minstrel to the upper 30s, I have to say that at least "back in the day", they were some of the best solo classes in the game.

Their burst damage comes later in form of shout attacks, some of which are AoE. Their usual approach to fighting - "playing the chosen musical instrument at someone's face with an occasional whack of whatever weapon you might be holding" - provides some steady damage, but nothing serious.

Later on, at about level 20, Minstrels get a stance that halves their healing but allows them to use a few more offensive attacks which do quite some burst and crit often.

And with self heals, they can practically go on forever anyways.

Their damage might not be anything close to the hunters' damage in LOTRO (who are rather squishy, but certainly destroy everything very quickly) but given their survivability, they can easily solo group content.

And at higher levels you can literally turn your minstrel into a mini-tank with huge amounts of avoidance, self-healing, and so on which makes you very good at soloing tough monsters.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
These are really, really funny.
Having played both DDO and LOTRO, I have to say DDO is really a much better game. LOTRO is just another reskinned World of Warcraft.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
Love this series and this game. I hope you're right about the Free-To-Play thing, though I can certainly agree on the size and quality of the userbase. I'm on Nimrodel, a medium-sized server, and it's nice and lively, with new people coming aboard regularly. The F2P thing is probably just to make more money, and since it doesn't seem to be endangering the quality of the game, I don't see anything wrong with it.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
If its free to play I may give it a try, I have wanted to give MMO's a go for a while, but I cant afford to pay monthly.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
velcthulhu said:
These are really, really funny.
Having played both DDO and LOTRO, I have to say DDO is really a much better game. LOTRO is just another reskinned World of Warcraft.
You're... absolutely insane.

The majority of WoW's "new" features over the last couple years have been ripped directly from LOTRO.

Lorechaser

Aug 28, 2004
Since going F2P, per Gamasutra, DDO has gained a million players, and "The company says that its players transact in the new store at three times the industry average, and that the franchise's revenue has grown 500 percent since the change-over. "

I'd say that revenue growth at 500% is a pretty compelling reason to change.

And the community in DDO hasn't really changed much as far as I can tell. Still get people asking stupid questions, but you still get very helpful people too.