EA Rejects Jack Thompson's Offer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Take-Two [http://www.ea.com] buyout efforts, saying that working with him in any capacity would be "impossible."

Thompson GamesIndustry [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81919]report, however, EA rejected the idea via email.

"In response to your offer to assist in the proposed acquisition of Take-Two, we would strongly prefer that you not get involved in this matter," wrote Mariam Sughayer, EA's senior manager of corporate communications. "EA is a strong supporter of creative freedom for game developers. We feel that your past statements - including false claims about content in our games - make any collaboration with you impossible."

In 2005, Thompson accused The Sims 2 [http://thesims2.ea.com/] of containing "full frontal nudity, including nipples, penises, labia and pubic hair," and said EA "collaborates, in every sense of the word, with the modders to put this material into the hands of consumers, many of whom are children." EA dismissed Thompson's allegations as nonsense, saying the blur effect on naked Sims was in place for humorous effect, and that no anatomical detail was present in the game.

Thompson reacted to EA's rejection in an email sent to GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2008/03/05/ea-wants-no-help-from-jack-thompson-in-t2-takeover-bid/], in which he wrote, "That's fine. Then I'll be involved at the Take-Two shareholders meeting. Oh, and EA's improper collaboration with the modders of the Sims was and is absolutely correct."

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Am I the only one thinking that what Jacko has a firm grip on certainly isn't reality? (And probably isn't safe for work to describe?)

-- Steve

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Three-way fisticuffs between Jack, EA and News Corp?

That's a fight I'd pay to see!

"EA is a strong supporter of creative freedom for game developers. We feel that your past statements - including false claims about content in our games
Ok, the first bit leaves me speechless, but the latter part sort of confuses me: Has Jack attacked EA in the past only to defend them when it came to Mass Effect?

Kaisharga

Dec 5, 2007
This post intentionally left blank. Certainly not because I misspoke the first time. Not at all.

Burld

Feb 9, 2008
If Jack Thompson really did say "Oh, and EA's improper collaboration with the modders of the Sims was and is absolutely correct", does that mean that he is defending EA's alleged actions while labelling them 'improper'? Doesn't he mean 'I was right about the fact that EA was collaborating with modders' instead? You'd expect a lawyer, even Jack Thompson, to have a grasp of the English language that prevents him from extreme embarassment.

Chilango2

Oct 3, 2007
It's a hilariously understated "please go away" in corportase letter, I got a bit of enjoyment out of it.

Other than that, what can be said about this sad little man and his delusions that has not already been said?

Melty Blood

Dec 22, 2007
I swear someone needs to knock half of Jack Thompson's teeth out with a golf club. Maybe that'll knock some goddamn sense into the man too.

I think it's a sad world where loud, obnoxious, inane, and incapable lawyers are listened to at all.

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
Malygris said:

Thompson reacted to EA's rejection in an email sent to him, in which he wrote, "That's fine. Then I'll be involved at the Take-Two shareholders meeting. Oh, and EA's improper collaboration with the modders of the Sims was and is absolutely correct."

lol...jackass.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
Good to see that Jack is taking the side of the little man. Those crazy kids over there at EA need all the help they can get.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Melty Blood said:
I swear someone needs to knock half of Jack Thompson's teeth out with a golf club. Maybe that'll knock some goddamn sense into the man too.

I think it's a sad world where loud, obnoxious, inane, and incapable lawyers are listened to at all.
I think someone need to write a game which simulates beating the crap out of lawyers.

The golf club/Jack Thompson battle would be the final boss battle.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Melty Blood said:

If you did that hed just use it as an excuse to attack Tiger Woods PGA Tour (although theres golf clubs in GTA so hed prob kick that dead horse again too)

Glitches are cool

Feb 13, 2008
Malygris said:
..."That's fine. Then I'll be involved at the Take-Two shareholders meeting...
Yeah cause, you know, Take-Two really wants the jackass that keeps trying to sue them, costing them hundreds if not thousands in legal fines.

Edit: This just in from Gamepolitics:

Jack Thompson Fires Back at EA, Says He Has a Client with a T2 Claimb

?so by now you?ve read Electronic Arts stinging dismissal of controversial attorney Jack Thompson?s offer to help it acquire Take Two Interactive. We?ve just received from Thompson this copy of his response to EA:

"I have in the last few days been contacted by a company with whom Take-Two does business. This company is now my client.

My client informs me that Take-Two has breached a substantial contract with it. It appears based upon what my client tells me that this is how Take-Two does business within the industry. This does not surprise me, as I have seen this same company up-close for a number of years. But it is surely gratifying to get corroboration of my observations, out of the blue, from a corporate entity which has been stiffed by Take-Two and which must take legal action, it seems, to get recompense. How sweet.

If you all at EA want to pursue a purchase of Take-Two without fully knowing what is ?out there? in the form of liabilities, posed by my client and others, of your take-over target, you got [sic] right ahead. I?m sure EA?s shareholders will be impressed with your lack of ?due diligence? exhibited first by your ?don?t help us, Mr. Thompson? and now your anticipated ?we don?t want to know about contractual liabilities of Take-Two? posture. Maybe the new corporate logo of EA should incorporate an ostrich?

Your corporate approach to due diligence exhibits the type of circle-the-wagons acumen that is leading the video game industry to the federal regulation that ESA?s own leaked poll indicates 65% of Americans want."
Now he's just pulling sources out of his ass while having a hissy fit.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I cant help thinking that abusing a delicate transaction between two large companies will help him in his coming court apeal thingey.

ShadeOfRed

Jan 20, 2008
*Sigh* Why does he hate video games so much? I want at least 5 sane reasons, otherwise he a rebel without a cause, or an extremely stupid one.

HalfShadow said:
Granted, this isn't really news.

Someone drowning would refuse assistance from Jack Thompson.
Amen to that.