Brown to Speak With 2004 Murder Victim's Mother

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Brown to Speak With 2004 Murder Victim's Mother

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown will meet the mother of a 14-year-old murder victim to discuss the impact of violent video games even though the case was never linked to video games.

The 2004 murder of Stefan Pakeerah, in which 17-year-old Warren Leblanc was found guilty, had set off a storm about the Rockstar game Manhunt.

But it turned out it was the victim and not the perpetrator who was in possession of the game.

"The game was discovered not in Warren Leblanc's possession but in the victim's possession. It does not feature the use of a hammer, and it was not considered by the police to be a contributory factor," Minister for Culture, Media and Sport Margaret Hodge said.

Brown's move comes ahead of The Byron Report, to be released toward the end of March, and the CMS Select Committee, which are both examining internet use and video game violence.

Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33835]

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
...sounds like little more than a pointless gimmick to & the chance to say some empty cliches on air & get a couple secconds of airtime on something that isnt about how bad the government is. Not like hes going there for an informed discussion from which to formulate policy

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Interesting that this gets more coverage on an American site than it does in the UK. I havn't read/heard/seen a peep about this on the news.

Nov 28, 2007
I am honestly busting up laughing now. This is just so sweetly ironic.

Edit: Misread the article, but my point still stands. What will they say, "If that girl had not played that game, my son would not have been influenced by it! It's not my fault he's psychic!"

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
sammyfreak said:
Its American, i believe you are thinking about Yahtzee who is an Australian resident.
Thanks, post edited appropriately. So an Englishman living in Australia is hired by an american publication. Confusing...

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
sammyfreak said:
Its American, i believe you are thinking about Yahtzee who is an Australian resident.
Thanks, post edited appropriately. So an Englishman living in Australia is hired by an american publication. Confusing...
Outsourcing is the American way :)