Vigor Brings Colossus Gaming PC to Battle

namarchetti

Jan 30, 2008
Vigor Brings Colossus Gaming PC to Battle

Vigor Gaming has released the Colossus, a $6800 desktop gaming rig.

The maker of enthusiast computer systems unveiled recently the [a href="http://www.vigorgaming.com/main-partner/colossus.html"]Colossus[/a], a monster of a gaming machine featuring the latest dual-processor technology from Intel as well as the multi-GPU technologies of Quad SLI and CrossFireX from NVIDIA and AMD, respectively.

The Colossus specifically features full support for two Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9775 quad-core processors. It can also currently support up to eight processing cores and four graphics cards without breaking a sweat. An exclusive cooling system works to keep the machine from overheating and the default configuration includes 4GB of RAM and over 2TB of data storage, among other features.

Asking price for the Vigor Colossus is around $6,800 for its recommended configuration.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Just for fun, I decided to see how ridiculous a rig could be ordered...

After a couple different things (including 3 8800 Ultra Xtreme Editions, a 42" Viewsonic, 2 windowed 150GB Raptors, 2 TB storage drives, and 2 Sony BD-R drives) I hit "Continue" to see the damage.

Wait for it...

Price: $13370.00

I'd say it were on purpose, if it weren't for how random my selections were (took the free offer for keyboard and mouse, as opposed to adding them to the total, didn't add the Office Suite or any other productivity apps).

EDIT: P.S. I'm not making this up. I promise.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
My God, that's worse than what I once created on the Alienware website (A single computer that costs over £6000, and wasn't even stuffed full of the biggest HDDs I wanted to fill it with? For shame.)

Their prices are severely screwed up, though. I could remove two 1TB data drives and replace them with 150GB ones, saving myself... $12. That's $6 each. That's roughly £3 each. That's stupid. I also like how you don't save any money by downgrading from a Gigabit NIC.

All in all, I managed to make it cost $14394.00, and that was by selecting the most expensive of everything.

Also, if it can support up to four graphics cards, then why don't we get the option on their site to include a fourth card? We were able to insert four graphics cards into computers YEARS ago!

...They just had to be PCI ones. :p

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Blayze said:
Their prices are severely screwed up, though. I could remove two 1TB data drives and replace them with 150GB ones, saving myself... $12. That's $6 each. That's roughly £3 each. That's stupid. I also like how you don't save any money by downgrading from a Gigabit NIC.
Those prices really aren't that screwed up. The 7200 rpm 1TB drives don't even have a brand, and those are available in the $200 price range. The 10k rpm WD Raptors are actually that expensive, and there is a premium on the versions with the window.

As far as the gigabit business... I'm surprised they even have the option. There aren't that many Skulltrail motherboards available, and I'd bet there are even fewer which bothered with 10/100 ethernet ports. I'd put money on you getting the same motherboard, no matter which option you picked there, and they potentially just failed to lock it down to a single option, like the chipset option.

I couldn't find any easy answer to the graphics thing, but from what I can tell, the Skulltrail platform will support QuadSLI in the form of 2 dual-GPU cards, or regular SLI with 2 cards, but definitely not Tri SLI.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
pretty insane. in itl no doubt be out of date in 2 years. Will depreciate in value faster then a Buick Rainer [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17706904/] :)

the_carrot

Nov 8, 2007
voodoo used to offer a pc that cost 15,000.00 stock. They don't seem to carry it anymore however.