Pachter: Move Pricing Could Confuse Customers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Pachter: Move Pricing Could Confuse Customers

Michael Pachter believes that Sony's motion controller may prove too confusing for consumers, which in turn may hurt sales.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter believes that Move's varying hardware requirements will hurt early sales of the system. Some Move [http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Move-Starter-Bundle-3/dp/B002I0J4NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1277996629&sr=8-1] games will need just the PlayStation Eye, others the Eye and the Move Controller, or two Move Controllers and the Eye, and so on, and it's this that Pachter thinks will confuse people.

"In order to be safe, consumers wishing to participate in the Move experience will have to purchase the Eye, two Move controllers and the Navigation controller, plus a game," he said.

Pachter also thinks that the cost of buying the system may also put people off: "If purchased as part of a bundle, the all-in cost to play with Move will approach $180, which we think is beyond the reach of the typical household. We think that Sony's Move is truly impressive, but remain concerned that initial sales could disappoint."

I can only assume that the $180 figure that Pachter quotes includes the cost of two Move controllers and a sub controller, or some other similar combination of products, as Sony confirmed at E3 that there would be a Move bundle available for less than $100 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101382-E3-2010-PlayStation-Move-Out-on-September-19th-Under-99].

Pachter does raise an interesting point, but it's months before Move is available, which gives Sony time to educate the public and get them interested in motion gaming on the PS3. We probably won't know if Pachter's predictions are correct until early next year, as the holiday period is sure to make a big difference.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39689/Move-pricing-could-confuse-customers]

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
That does sound confusing. Someone who isn't into games may well not get this at all.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Who watched the E3 conference?, it was brilliant, the pricing for the Move came up at $50 and there was much rejoicing, then they priced the navigation controller...
The crowd was like "YAY!!..

...ohhhhh"

Right, so if I want to play KillZone 3 in 3D with move, how much is it going to cost?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I can prolly see that...for people who dont game, and are jsut casual this could be a bit much for them...

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Oh, you mean like people go haywire when some wii games use the wii fit board?

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, this is a good idea... let's put out a competitor for the Wii and charge just as much for the Wii for it.... Sony constantly disappoints me....

The Ambrosian

Paperboy
May 9, 2009
Come on, I don't think this is that confusing, maybe at first glance for a non-gamer but it's not that hard is it...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
They're casual gamers not idiots. Hopefully there'll be some clever decisions from Sony to make it clear what is needed. I'd think they'd push a Move + Eye + Sub box set as the standard kit, as I don't know anyone with an Eye, and then extra controllers and games could be bought separately.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
I don't see where the confusion is at. Everything has been well documented.

Every game needs the Playstation Eye and the Move controller. Some games require the additional navigation controller, but a dualshock 3 or sixaxis can be used for that effect. No game requires 2 Move controllers, however some support it, and increases realism and immersion.

Everyone has at least one DS3/SA so the bare minimum a player needs to play every game is the eye + move, which come in a bundle with a game for 100$. A safe bet would be to get another move + navigation, which means you can play single player with 2 moves or move + navigation, or you can play 2 player with a friend with 1 move + navigation for player one, and 1 move + DS3 for player two.

So for around 70$/60? you can buy the bare minimum (or 100$/?? for an extra game on package).
And for an additional 80$/70? you can buy the extra move and navigation controller for full single player experience and normal 2 player experience.

So in a simplified way:

If you have 1 dualshock3/sixaxis:
1 Player minimum for maximum compatibility: 70$/60? / 100$ with a game
1 Player for best experience/2 player for maximum compatibility: 150$ or 180$ with a game.

If you have 2 dualshock3/sixaxis:
1 Player minimum for maximum compatibility: 70$/60? / 100$ with a game
1 Player for best experience/2 player for maximum compatibility: 120$/100? or 150$ with a game.

Source prices:
Eye standalone: 20$/20?
Move controller: 50$/40?
Navigation controller: 30$/30?
Game + Move + Eye: 100$/??

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I was saying this in one of the Kinect threads!
For those with just a PS3 who want to play Move with two players: $180.
The bundle is $100 with a game, and then $50 + $30 for another 'wand' and the 'Move-Chuck' (As I've been calling it).
That's $180.

Fairly pricey, really.
But, despite my hating the lollipop look of it, I think it's a pretty good motion controller.
The Sorcery demo was neat.
We'll just have to see how well it does this holiday season.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
. . . and by this time next year you will probably be able to pick them up for about half of what they are charging at release. Move and Natal errrr Kinect are both going to fail on epic proportions. If people wanted shitty games you can still play while having an epileptic seizure they would of bought a Wii.

mikeybaby1986

Mar 30, 2010
Seems simpler than the wii, with classic controllers, seperate selling of the nunchucks and balance boards for some of the popular titles. The way Belladonnah put it seems pretty straightforward to me.

Considered ignoring it altogether though until I saw Child of Eden :p Fairly guaranteed sale now. Hope that game comes in a bundle :)

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
Great. When I point out the total adoption price for Move, I get accused of being a paid Microsoft shill. When this guy does the same thing, he get's an actual paycheck.

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
paketep said:
Yawn. More Pachter.
This is the guy that thinks RTS games aren't a console thing because they're 'turn-based'. Sony is gonna fall flat with this because Nintendo got there first and did it better and it's not really more complicated than that.

I want Pachter's job; he's crap at it.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Whats pathetic is the fact that stupid people need to be accommodated for. If you can't figure it out, don't get it.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
Belladonnah said:
I don't see where the confusion is at. Everything has been well documented.

Every game needs the Playstation Eye and the Move controller. Some games require the additional navigation controller, but a dualshock 3 or sixaxis can be used for that effect. No game requires 2 Move controllers, however some support it, and increases realism and immersion.
Thank you.
I really started to lose hope that I was the only one to notice that you don't have to buy a sub-controller and that the pricing is not as bad as almost every journalist out there says it is.

Although Sony could have made that point a little bit clearer, but I guess that they want to sell the extra hardware wherever possible.