Move Puts Heavy Rain DLC on "Indefinite Hold"

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Move Puts Heavy Rain DLC on "Indefinite Hold"

Motion controls win out over DLC on Heavy Rain's cold streets.

If you're eager to explore more of the dark world of Heavy Rain, then you're in for some disappointment. Production of new episodes of Heavy Rain Chronicles has been put on "indefinite hold" while Quantic Dream adds Move support to the original game.

The first downloadable episode, a prequel entitled The Taxidermist, was given away free to those who pre-ordered the game, and was made available for purchase on PSN soon after the game's release. The second episode was supposed to feature the Origiami Killer as a playable character [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97657-Heavy-Rain-DLC-Allows-Control-of-Origami-Killer], but now its future seems uncertain.

According to Quantic Dream's Guillame de Fondaumière, Sony encouraged the company to focus on adding motion controls, rather than creating more content for the game. de Fondaumière said that work on more downloadable content might resume once Move controls had been implemented, but that Quantic Dream was more likely to start work on its next project instead.

Susan Arendt gave the Move version of Heavy Rain a try at E3. Look for her thoughts on it soon.

Source: Game Informer [http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/06/15/heavy-rain-dlc-on-indefinite-hold.aspx] via 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179999]

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I still hope that it will come out. I really liked Heavy Rain, and although the first DLC was pretty short, it was still enjoyable.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Aww, come on?
Seriously, who is going to get themselves a copy of Heavy Rain just because it has motion controls?
Now new episodes, that would be absolutely fantastic for people who already completed the game, got all the endings and trophies etc. (like meeeee).

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Who's making the decisions over there? Because he really needs to be beaten until he's sane.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Move support makes sense for Heavy Rain I guess. I am pleased that they might not bother with any more DLC after that, I'd rather see another full game sooner.

Apr 28, 2008
Time to drop a large spoiler.

You already get to play as the Origami Killer in the main game. Both as an adult and as a child.

bigsby

Jul 16, 2009
So it begins...
A casual, and I pronounce casual the same way i would pronounce, for example "amoeba", gimmick hurting real gamers.
It was a good run guys, now lets all go buy a wii.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Irridium said:
Time to drop a large spoiler.

You already get to play as the Origami Killer in the main game. Both as an adult and as a child.
Yep, to those who haven't played it, the news sounds better than it actually is.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
But... you do play as the Oragami killer. Do you mean... play as him while he actually kidnaps and kills the children? Because I don't know... the game made you do some things that put me out of my comfort zone, but that's a bit much... controversy!

But the thing about the motion controls... this is probably the only non-casual game that I can think of that motion controls would improve the game. I'm still not going to buy Move for it, but I can imagine that it would really help.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, at least move has less gimmicks on launch then Kinect...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
Talk about a kick in the balls, but I found the game tedious so I cheer! I keed..
Yea, I think any sort of change to the controls would help.
Good idea, I say

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Wiggly gimmicks over content win again.
Bad move on Sony's part, this won't make people happy.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Carnagath said:
Move support makes sense for Heavy Rain I guess. I am pleased that they might not bother with any more DLC after that, I'd rather see another full game sooner.
Can you please explain how that works? It is mostly just QTE's, how is that improved by adding waggling?

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Saw it coming a mile away and sold off my copy. Could foresee zero reason to continue to keep it. Not like I'd ever play it more than once.

Not G. Ivingname said:
Carnagath said:
It is mostly just QTE's, how is that improved by adding waggling?
I guess it -was- mostly QTEs but I've personally never seen any so well implemented. Felt very natural and wasn't immersion breaking at all. Added to it, to be quite honest.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
Talk about a kick in the balls, but I found the game tedious so I cheer! I keed..
That's actually part of Microsoft's ad campaign. They're the only motion based controller that allows you to directly kick your opponent in the balls.

That being said, if a game of this quality didn't make me go and buy a PS3, the extra cost of a motion sensing version of it sure as hell won't.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Carnagath said:
Can you please explain how that works? It is mostly just QTE's, how is that improved by adding waggling?
Well, all the Sixaxxis gestures will play better on Move, and I'm guessing they might replace some of the QTE's with some Move inputs that are a bit more interesting than just "Press X". When and if I buy the Move controller, I can definitely see myself giving Heavy Rain another playthrough just to see how it "behaves" after the update, while otherwise it would just be gathering dust on the shelf, and that's pretty cool. I definitely prefer a reason to play the game again to just another 30-minute long, 15$ DLC. This milking needs to stop and they need to work on their next game instead imho.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
Screw motion controls. Who are these companies hiring to say "Add motion controls! It's all the rage!!!"

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Hmm that sucks for ps3 users however I think that would be a good thing not to play the killer. The main way fear is caused is by the unknown which creates fear

The killer becomes detailed then the fear goes away

At least in my opinion