Miyamoto Given Advance Screening of Scott Pilgrim Movie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Miyamoto Given Advance Screening of Scott Pilgrim Movie

No pressure Mr. Wright, but Shigeru Miyamoto is here to watch the movie.

Want permission to use Nintendo music in your movie? Well, you better hope that Shigeru Miyamoto likes it. In order to use music from Legend of Zelda in one of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World's dream sequences, director Edgar Wright had to show the film to the Mario creator. Wright was able to use the music, which suggests that Miyamoto gave it the thumbs up.

Wright said that he tried to stress the importance that games like Zelda have to people when he when he contacted Nintendo: "When I was writing to Nintendo to get permission, I was saying, 'This music is like nursery rhymes to a generation.'"

I was already planning on seeing this movie, so for me this is a just the icing on the cake. A director that gets videogames at the helm of a movie that looks interesting and fun? Sign me up!

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World opens on August 13th.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180026]

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
This does look like an excellent film. I definitely intend to see it, and reeeeally hope it doesn't turn out badly.

I just hope that after this Edgar Wright gets busy with Simon Pegg (no, not like that) working on The World's End (you know Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead? They're at it again - in space!)

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
wow Miyamoto is boss...i think this proves that he is King of the nerds...while we have to wait drooling at every trailer for months...he walks in and says "it starts" ...

and this movie looks pwnsome...

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Off-Topic: It's somewhat insulting that the Scott Pilgrim Game doesn't get an Wii/DSi Release for apparent reason for a franchise that loves NES-era Gaming so much

On-Topic: It's nice how Miyamoto has to actually approve of this and the use of Zelda music did not get measured by Box Office Predictions and Target Group Research.
That said, i guess for a video-game-related movie there is no better PR than "The guy who made Mario and Zelda likes it!"

Also: Yay, the Movie will have the Zelda Dream! Scott's dreams are cool. Like anime!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
tomtom94 said:
I just hope that after this Edgar Wright gets busy with Simon Pegg (no, not like that) working on The World's End (you know Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead? They're at it again - in space!)
You mean the Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy is finally being completed?! Sweet!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe, stamp of approval indeed. If he liked it must have been something to spark his intrest!

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I haven't really been following this movie much, but with the god of video games giving a thumbs-up I might have to force myself to go see it.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
This movie looks great! Definitely going to go see it!

Edgar Wright is a fantastic director, I really like his 'mini-montage' scenes used frequently in his movies...example of what I am talking about.

(Hot Fuzz) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZa3yNEoEH0 (starts at around 7:10 and goes to 7:35)

Hot Fuzz is my favourite movie ever btw! Cant wait for The World's End!

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
I like the concept of this movie a lot, but Michael Cera playing the awkward, angsty teen again...I don't know man, that might be enough to keep me away.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Hayate_GT said:
wow Miyamoto is boss...i think this proves that he is King of the nerds...while we have to wait drooling at every trailer for months...he walks in and says "it starts" ...

and this movie looks pwnsome...
Yeah, Miyamoto more or less IS the king of nerds.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
I hope this movie doesn't become hipster bullshit. The comic is alright and this is a role Michael cera actually fits.

Just please don't drop names of games like Final Fantasy 3 or Ghosts n' Goblins just to impress people who don't know them. I don't want another Juno.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
What's the name of that movie where Micheal Cera plays a socially awkward teenager?

Old jokes aside, I'm actually really fucking sick of him. He's a one-dimensional actor who gets paid millions of dollars to play the same role he did since Arrested Development.

I saw the preview of this film at the midnight showing of A-Team and spent the entire preview with my palm firmly implanted into my face. You could make the whackiest action-comedy in the world, and it won't disguise the face that Micheal Cera is just another overpaid talentless fuck in Hollywood.