Activision Wants to Improve Image

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Activision Wants to Improve Image

Activision's chief operating officer Thomas Tippl says that his company would like to improve its relationship with gamers.

Amongst many hardcore gamers, Activision has a bit of an image problem, and this is something that COO Thomas Tippl is keen to remedy. Tippl blames much of the bad feeling on Activision's standing as the largest publisher around, saying that it's something that anyone in that position has to come to terms with.

"Obviously, we stay connected to what's going on in the communities, so we're not ignorant that there's a very vocal minority out there that has some very strong feelings," he said. "Whenever you become number one in any industry, you automatically get a target painted on your back. You've got to be able to live with that."

Tippl did say however that Activision could communicate better with the gamer community, but that for some people it would never be enough: "There are many things we can probably do better in the way we communicate with the communities so that we don't run the risk that certain things get pulled out of context and blown out of proportion."

"Now, can we do a better job from a PR and community management perspective? I think we can. We are focused on doing that, but you will always have a vocal minority that no matter what you do they're not going to be happy."

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/22/activision-wants-to-improve-image-says-tippl/]

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Good luck with that.

In other news I'd like to be sat on my balcony with an ice-cream right now rather than sitting at work in a 30-degree office but some things just aren't gonna happen.

And no, it's not because you're "Number one". Douche.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Haha, good luck with that. PR campaigns aren't going to help if they don't start acting differently towards their customers.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Wanna improve your image? Kick Kotick out the door and we'll see where things go from there.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
All they need to do is stop murdering our games and stop with the blatant money making schemes.

Oh yeah and Kotick can fuck off.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
did he ever consider that his boss is a Jackass? Other than Kotick i got no beef with Activision. Shit my fav dev team is part of them BLIZZARD.

Javex

Mar 15, 2010
I can hardly say that Activision is "Number One". And even if they are, it is ONLY because of their #1 franchise. (I still think EA is a bigger publisher at this point, but I could be wrong).

I own and regularly play MW2 with friends (when I'm taking a break from Bad Company 2). But I haven't bought an over-priced map-pack. Nor do I agree with the Call of Duty subscription idea. I think he's really down-playing the scores of gamers that aren't happy with the road Activision is taking.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
This gave me a good chuckle.

"Whenever you become number one in any industry, you automatically get a target painted on your back. You've got to be able to live with that."
Number one? I think not. In fact, I know not. The only thing I can think of which would make you say that is MW2's recent success. However you ended up with the majority of Infinity Ward leaving to make Respawn Entertainment. Actually this man might be right on the money. Activision might be number one at screwing people over.

Jul 22, 2009
HAHAHAHA.... *ahem*

Maybe if Bobby Kotick resigns? Then I'll think about forgiving Activision... then you have to lower your prices on everything, and give me free things.

Mar 30, 2010
Step One: Stop making gamers pay through the, erm, nose for DLC just because we decided to actually buy one of their games. That'd be a start.
Step Two:
Jedoro said:
How about patching MW2?
Step Three:
Furburt said:
The only thing that'll improve their image will be Kotick's head on a pike outside their main offices.
I think that just about covers it.

TheDist

Mar 29, 2010
Wonder how many map packs they will need to sell to cover the cost of a PR campaign of such magnitude.

I think Step one is locking Bobby in a dark room away from... well, everyone. They indeed have a lot of work ahead of them.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Step 1 - Stop backstabbing your own developers... Which helps with the second step, which is...
Step 2 - Start making games that don't suck again.
Step 3 - Make sure Kotick keeps his mouth shut in any public setting. I know you can't "fire" him, but at least make sure he keeps his trap closed so he doesn't come off as anymore of a giant douchebag than he already does.
Step 4 - Stop fucking over your costumers by removing things like dedicated servers and mod tools so you can extort people for paid crap.
Step 5 - Stop being greedy dicks and trying to inflate prices.

That's essentially it.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
Could someone list some of the "Screw ups" they have done in the passed year or two? I know it was a lot but I can't help but think someone might read it and think "Oh gee, we really did a lot now didn't we?"

In another perspective it's funny how EA Games practically swapped bad guy rolls with Activision last year

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Furburt said:
The only thing that'll improve their image will be Kotick's head on a pike outside their main offices.

"Whenever you become number one in any industry, you automatically get a target painted on your back. You've got to be able to live with that."
Of course, us gamers are just being mean to poor old Activision because we're jealous. Silly us!
Took the words right out of my mouth. We're just jaded, that's all. It has NOTHING to do with Kotick popping up every day saying how he's come up with a new way to milk gamers for more money.

"Add $5 extra to this map pack, another $10 to that game, plus a subscription fee and another 12+ releases of the same IP a year..."

Yes, the solution to the problem is good press. I think BP is currently trying that strategy - how's it working out for them?