Kotick: Only 30% of Activision's Profits Come from Consoles

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kotick: Only 30% of Activision's Profits Come from Consoles

In the face of flagging console sales, Activision overlord Bobby Kotick isn't worried - after all, less than half of Activision's money comes from consoles.

We may all be basking in the post-E3 glow of our favorite hobby here, but let's not forget that just two short months ago, the videogame industry had the by the Wall Street Journal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100679-Game-Industry-Suffers-Fourth-Worst-Sales-Decline-Ever] if he was concerned, Bobby Kotick said he wasn't: "I care a lot less [about console retail sales]. It used to be, I would religiously look at weekly retail sell-through data, but it's a very small part of our business now."

In fact, he revealed to the Journal just how small a part of Activision's business consoles really were. "Today, probably 70 percent of our operating profit comes from non-console-based videogames. So, while you might see a month-to-month change or volatility against expectations, that doesn't really get us too concerned."

Considering just how many console titles Activision publishes - and just how staggeringly well Modern Warfare 2 sold last year - that really is an incredible statement. It can't even be explained away by interpreting Kotick's comment as referring to non-retail DLC for consoles like the ridiculously popular "Stimulus Package" for MW2, either: Gamasutra asked Activision [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29052/Kotick_70_Of_Activision_Operating_Profit_Comes_From_NonConsoleBased_Games.php] and was told that no, Kotick genuinely meant "non-console-based" games.

Which essentially means that Kotick is effectively saying that the PC accounts for 70% of Activision's business. Hmm, I wonder where all that money is coming from. It's almost like there's a really popular PC game out there for which millions of people pay monthly, or something like that.

You better thank Blizzard every night before you go to bed, Bobby. They're the ones paying your bills.

(Via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29052/Kotick_70_Of_Activision_Operating_Profit_Comes_From_NonConsoleBased_Games.php])

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Ouch. All I've gotta say.

That Kotick guy is starting to piss me off with his antics. Modern Warfare I couldn't care less about, but THIS is just annoying.

Go Blizzard =p

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It is true...Blizzard and the WoW subsciptions are ptolly paying for alot of what they do...

And although only 30% comes from consoles, thats still a large piece of damage if that was to diminish

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Hey Blizzard, fancy detaching yourself from Vivendi? Go on, just for a year or so. You'll be fine, I know you will.

Calumon: You'll make more money and do the world a favour! ^^

Apr 28, 2008
So the PC is they're primary moneymaker?

Perhaps then it would be a good idea to not fuck over PC gamers then.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Like this comes as a surprise to anyone. WoW is still making a fortune why do you think Kotick wants a subscription service set up for CoD?

I look forward to the day when people start leaving WoW for something else, I just hope Activision doesn't own it!

zedjay72

Jun 24, 2009
30%? that's a real shame. I wonder what that figure is going to look like when sc2 comes out.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Wow. No, literally. WoW. :) That basically means World of Warcraft accounts for 70% of their profits. It's a damn shame to see a company like Blizzard literally providing most of the profits for a company like Activision. My hatred of this man knows no bounds.

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
Shouldn't the slowing down of console sales happen all the time though? It's not like someone will buy a 360 nine times over.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
So, if most of their profit comes from the PC, the why are they fucking the PC gamers over so much? Seriously, just look at the past year or so and you'll see that Activision apparently hates people who play on the PC.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Lol. Most CEO's are like this, they just try to gloss over such talk with niceties. I like Kotick's blatant honesty. He knows what is in the companies best interest, and screw the rest.

Although, I would like Blizzard to leave, I like them so much more :)

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
tellmeimaninja said:
Well, when Activision owns things that have a massive PC fanbase and it overcharges the crap out of all of them, it's not that hard to believe.
£9 a month being really expensive and extortionate right?

Feb 13, 2008
Well, it's not from MewTwo now is it, Bobby?

Pan meet Flash.

Irridium said:
So the PC is they're primary moneymaker?

Perhaps then it would be a good idea to not fuck over PC gamers then.
Well they wouldn't go as far as removing things from PC games that were there on consoles, or trying to turn PCs into those crashing consoles, would they?

I mean, that would be professional suicide...