Prince of Persia Now Highest-Grossing Game Movie Ever

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Prince of Persia Now Highest-Grossing Game Movie Ever

Despite an initial lower-than-hoped-for turn at the box office, Prince Dastan has bounded past Lara Croft as the highest-grossing videogame star to make it on the big screen yet.

The Prince of Persia might not quite be the new Captain Jack Sparrow [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101039-Prince-of-Persia-Opening-Weekend-Stumbles] that producer Jerry Bruckheimer was hoping for, but he's done well enough for himself so far.

According to Box Office Mojo [http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=princeofpersia.htm], Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time now has a worldwide box office gross of $293.9 million, officially passing the $274.7 million mark set by Angelina Jolie's Lara Croft Tomb Raider in 2001.

Of course, accounting for A.) inflation and B.) that Persia cost a whopping $200m to produce, the Prince may still have a bit further to go to be considered as successful as Ms. Croft.

(Via Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/prince-of-persia-becomes-highest-grossing-game-movie])

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
How funny, I just read in Time Magazine how it was a flop. Guess they were only checking opening box office revenue. Hopefully it will make a bit more money, even though the movie business seems like it will be taking a turn for the worst for a bit.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I thought it was pretty entertaining.

This may have been largely due to Gemma Arterton being Beautifull.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Alright! Well deserved too, best Video Game based film ever.

No really, it is!

Calumon: Does that mean that Jake Gyllen-mcdurpadurp will be in another one?

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Wahful said:
I thought it was pretty entertaining.

This may have been largely due to Gemma Arterton being Beautifull.
Pretty much that. It was a fairly enjoyable swashbuckler, but was cheesy and predictable. But alos kicks Super Mario Bros. to the curb.

Jun 26, 2009
Yes! Now all we need to make is a DECENT ff movie and I will have no need to whatch films again
as in one true to the games with chocabos, magic and stuff...
AND NO GHOST ALIENS!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Yes! Now all we need to make is a DECENT ff movie and I will have no need to whatch films again
AND NO GHOST ALIENS!
Pac Man: The Movie

In all seriousness, I'm glad to hear Prince of Persia did so well. Hopefully with DVD sales and licensing for rentals and such, they'll make enough money to work on a sequel!

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
well, we've proven that we can actually make a good movie based on a game. weeee.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
It was decent, nothing more. I was pretty surprised it didn't do better though.

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
I'm very glad it went well, I personally loved the movie. So apart from PoP and Tomb Raider are there any game adaptions that went well? It's late here and my brain isn't functioning. All I can think of is the Resident Evil movies and Pokemon.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, it did seem to be well reacted from people outside the gamer sphere, so, not surprised

Well done though!

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Well....it's sorta flopping domectically. I don't think it's hit the 100 million mark in the US yet. It's budget was just too large. I liked the movie. Pretty entertaining and kept the spirit of the game. I'm glad to hear when combined with overseas numbers it's doing fairly well.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
It was an alright movie, I'm just hoping that it keeps making enough money that people with enough money/talent start making game movies, as I still think (despite the evidence) that their are good movies to be made from games.

Also, timesplitter the movie! Can who could possibly play vin di... Cortez?

SonOfIkaros

Oct 6, 2009
Can... Can the circle possibly be broken? 'Cause that would be so sweet. I see no reason why a movie based on a game has to be bad, and as far as I'm concerned we've just had a streak of bad luck so far.

Man, I'd love it if more games were converted into movies. It allows the game to flesh out the universe so much more.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
now all we need is that fan made mortal kombat movie and that fan made street fighter short movies.. and well be good.

Sep 14, 2009
SteelStallion said:
I quite enjoyed it. It was predictable and stuff but then these days you can say that about any movie.

I especially like how true they stayed to the original characters design (down to the little red scarf on his belt and everything.)
i have a feeling this halloween its gonna be the next new hit for costumes

OT: im glad its doing well, i was pleasantly suprised and i really liked it, so kudos to them for making money.

i think why it didn't do so well at first was everyone was so skeptical of it they didn't go to see it, so in the later weeks they probably kept it going pretty well with word of mouth going around

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Alar said:
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
AND NO GHOST ALIENS!
Pac Man: The Movie

In all seriousness, I'm glad to hear Prince of Persia did so well. Hopefully with DVD sales and licensing for rentals and such, they'll make enough money to work on a sequel!
No, Tetris the movie. =P