Kane & Lynch 2 Switches to Steam

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Kane & Lynch 2 Switches to Steam

Another day, another kick in the junk for Games for Windows Live, as IO Interactive has revealed that Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=kane+%26+Lynch+2%3A+Dog+Days&x=0&y=0] has dropped Microsoft's much-maligned online system in favor of Steamworks.

The original Microsoft's [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=kane+%26+Lynch+2%3A+Dead+Men&x=0&y=0] problematic online service won't be an issue in the sequel, however, because the developer has decided not to bother with it.

"No," said IO Interactive Game Director Kim Krogh when asked if Games for Windows Live problems would plague Kane & Lynch 2. "We're using Steam [http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/] online service.

Kane & Lynch 2 is the second high-profile game to abandon GfW Live in recent weeks; earlier this month, Bethesda announced that re-committed [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=%22Fallout%3A+New+Vegas%22&x=0&y=0] to the PC gaming scene (yes, again) and clearly, it has its work cut out for it.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/06/16/kane-lynch-2-ditches-gfwl-and-its-good/]

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Perhaps gaming companies are finally realising that tyrannical DRM is not the way forward.

We can but hope.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, thats gotta be a little embarrasing...as long as its released thats the main thing though

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I think that Steam, D2D, and other digital media sites right now is the best form of DRM out there for computer games, until something even better comes along.

Companies taking advantage of that are probably going to fare much better with the general populace than those who create annoying DRMs like Ubisoft's and EA's.

Swarley

Apr 5, 2010
So we can all look forward to a weekend where we can get it for 50% off!

In before steam hate.

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
Kane and Lynch 2 is high profile? o_O What? I think this Editor is high on something.

Also - maybe this will spike the competition between GFWL and Steam, get the ball rollin' for better service and products.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
Wait, Kayne and Lynch didn't work very well on the PC because it was buggy? I thought it was because it was a crap game--on ANY platform.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Is this news? I've not seen a single image of the K&L2 case with the GfWL banner, which one would always see on a GfWL game.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Woah. Epic uncanny valley going on in that picture.

OT: Good. GFWL sucks balls.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I see "Kane and Lynch" as being a joke of a franchise that is mostly famous for being horrible despite overpromotion (shades of Daikatana) followed by Mr. Gerstmann getting rather publically fired for not trying to polish up this turd of a game despite big bucks being spent advertising it. I've actually been surprised that it got a sequel.

All told this declaration seems like an attempt to shoot themselves in the foot even more it seems. See, for all the praise STEAM gets and the dislike GFWL seems to get, it seems to mostly be focused on PC-exclusive titles. I think people are downplaying the weight LIVE "Acheivements" bring to the table. While STEAM also has achievements, they are not universal for all games on their platform, and seem to carry less weight with gamers, since less people seem to see/look at them, etc...

One of the big topics for discussion on Gamefaqs "Fallout: New Vegas" boards is whether or not the game will support achievements for their X-box accounts. For good or ill a lot of people are addicted to this (I'm moderatly interested at best).

While I suppose these games might pull a "Dawn Of War II" and go through both STEAM and GFWL to stick achievements on LIVE accounts, that seems to be a rare exception. I could be proven wrong but I think the connection to LIVE accounts actually had a bit to do with the success of a number of PC games like that version of "Fallout 3" (even if I was late to the party on that one for the most part).

We'll see what happens, but I suspect this isn't being considered in the release plans.

PipBoy2000

Oct 7, 2009
Very good to hear. I liked the first game very much, and the 2nd becoming so accessible is good news indeed.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Good.

Not that I have much interest in K&L2, but anything that helps to erase GfWL from the face of this earth has all my support.

BTW, with K&L they managed to get Jeff Gerstmann fired. Anyone taking bets on who'll bite the bullet this time?.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
I don't really care about Kane & Lynch 2 at all. But anything that hurts Games For Windows Live is in my opinion a good thing. It's fucking terrible.

Tolkienfanatic

Jul 24, 2008
Mromson said:
Kane and Lynch 2 is high profile? o_O What? I think this Editor is high on something.

Also - maybe this will spike the competition between GFWL and Steam, get the ball rollin' for better service and products.
There is no competition between GFWL and Steam. Unless you consider a race between a retarded person and an Olympian a competition.

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
Just more proof that Microsoft can go fuck itself anymore ^-^

That, and removing the red light in the 360 so there isn't anymore Red Ring of Death, although you just KNOW people are still going to call it that for decades to come XDD Microsoft will never live that down to the millions of people who lost their 'boxes to that.

Anyways, this is also more proof that Steam is the second coming of Christ, though their updating schedules couldn't hurt from slowing the hell down a bit X_x Is there an absolute need to update every other day for a game that's been out as long as, say, Half-Life 2 EP2?

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
EVERY time I see that title all I can think of is Dog Day Afternoon. Which in turn makes that picture very.. interesting.

Huh oh yea Steam, uhhh yay Steam boo GFWL?