Dance Dance Robo-Lution

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dance Dance Robo-Lution

Just getting one robot to dance is impressive, so a twenty robot chorus line is pretty spectacular.

Some robots can run, some can jump, and some can fly, but these robots? These robots dance. A team from Aldebaran Robotics has put together a troupe of twenty dancing robots for the Shanghai World Expo. It's not exactly body-popping and head-spinning, but watching them dances in perfect unison to Maurice Ravel's Bolero is pretty cool.

The troupe is made up of Aldebaran's Nao robot, which is highly articulated and capable of a pretty incredible range of movement. Each robot is about two feet tall, and has about as much processing power as a smartphone. A single Nao costs around €10,000, so the entire troupe is worth around quarter of a million dollars.

Source: Dvice [http://dvice.com/archives/2010/06/20-bots-dance-i.php]

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
one step closer to skynet damnit.

They'll dance to get our attention and distract us from the doom of the doom that happens to be the armada of the robot army

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Wait? Did I just get served?

OT: That's pretty cool. A little strange, but cool none the less. I wouldn't mind one of those dancing robots.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
And when the robot apocalypse comes we'll all be sitting around going "But they looked so cute dancing as they shot their lasers at us"

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow! Impressive! Alot of money in those lol guys! But still pretty impressive!

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Synchronized dance? That's only a small step from synchronized murderdeathkill!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Quaxar said:
Synchronized dance? That's only a small step from synchronized murderdeathkill!
- MOOOM DAAAD THE ROBOT IS TRYING TO KILL ME IN MY SLEEP!
- You liar, if you were asleep, you wouldn't know that.
- Oh, ri... BLERGH!

Saerain

Mar 24, 2009
I wonder what the hell the difference is, neurologically, between people who find robotics and CG creepy and those who find it creepy that people find it creepy.

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
7:25 robots make in the rear of the group make an exaggerated humping motion. Did they let Morgan from LRR play with these robots programming?

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Rise my robotic minions!
(looks down)
Damn it! I said make them 20 feet tall not 2.

Florion

Dec 7, 2008
Ahahahahaha!

So, I guess they're, doing the robot.

:D?

please defenestrate me now, I'm sorry...

ShadeOfRed

Jan 20, 2008
Florion said:
Ahahahahaha!

So, I guess they're, doing the robot.
OH YOU!

And why are robots not commonplace yet? We see them all the goddamned time in these videos doing awesome things. We have the technology obviously.

TheEpic_1

Mmmm.. Zephyr Biscut
Jan 8, 2010
the first bit of the routine, Im pretty sure, their doing the haka(New Zealands tribal war dance before they play most sporting events). But i could be wrong, then again, TEH ROBBITS ARE DOIN A WAR DANCE!!! RUN AWAZE!!