Nintendo Targets Homebrew Channel With Wii Update

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo Targets Homebrew Channel With Wii Update

New firmware will remove any non-approved functionality from the Wii.

Nintendo is again updating the Wii in an effort to combat piracy on the machine. Much like the 4.2 update back in September, the 4.3 update will seek out and remove any homebrew content that it finds.

"Because unauthorized channels or firmware may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.3 will check for and automatically remove such unauthorized files," Nintendo said in a message on its support site.

Nintendo does say that the update includes "behind the scenes enhancements that do not affect any prominently-used features or menus but will improve system performance," but the focus is very clearly on dealing with homebrew.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180045]

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
So... uh... Nintendo is releasing an update that no-one will bother downloading?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Wii piracy, eh? I didn't even know it existed!

Also, can't these updates be avoided easily on the Wii?

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
The Wii-scene is quite big actually, about as big as the DS-scene

They tried this with 4.2, which just broke stuff. Wii-modders managed to get 4.2 on our their Wiis and still be able to do stuff like run copied discs and games via HDD without hardware modifications

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Nimbus said:
So... uh... Nintendo is releasing an update that no-one will bother downloading?
Some games (like Super Mario Galaxy 2) make you update your Wii before you can play.
Nintendo doesn't know that Wii Homebrew users can just bypass that forced update.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Megacherv said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

They tried this with 4.2, which just broke stuff. Wii-modders managed to get 4.2 on our their Wiis and still be able to do stuff like run copied discs and games via HDD without hardware modifications
We'll see what effect this has, then.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
NOOOOOOO NOT MAH HOMEBREW CHANNNELLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

How am I going to play quake 2 now?

Jerks. It probably wont take long to get a new version out, but still!

Also, the reason the wii-scene is so open is because modding a wii is incredibly simple. It requires no extra hardware baring a micro sd card, and it is just awesome to try out.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Let's start timing how long it takes before this update gets cracked open! One, two, three...

ViolentlyHappy91

Kerrick of Long Service
Apr 16, 2009
UnableToThinkOfName said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I didn't either. >_> To me it seems too basic to bother hacking.
Surprisingly, it's awesome when hacked. I've been using mine to play my old Mega Drive, N64, SNES, NES, and Master System games rather than re-buying them from Nintendo. I also have it set up as a DVD player because I'm too lazy to replace my broken one.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
it´ll get bypassed quickly, Nintendo´s programming on stuff like this is absolutely terrible anyway. when it does, people can begin using Brawl texture hacks and free games again.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Megacherv said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

We'll see what effect this has, then.
It pretty much won't have any effect. Most hacked Wii owners are smart enough to know that updating can cause problems, thus most of us don't update through Nintendo themselves. A hacked homebrew-frendly update is pretty much guaranteed to be released within the first week after an official update anyway, so Nintendo's efforts are actually quite futile.

Hell, there are actually methods to disable updates alltogether, so most smart Wii-modders shouldn't be worried at all.

Nov 7, 2009
ViolentlyHappy91 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Surprisingly, it's awesome when hacked. I've been using mine to play my old Mega Drive, N64, SNES, NES, and Master System games rather than re-buying them from Nintendo. I also have it set up as a DVD player because I'm too lazy to replace my broken one.
Huh. Do you put the games on SD cards like the R4 or what?

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Wii piracy, eh?
It's typically not for "piracy", but to run homebrew applications (people have made a TON of neat applications and free games for the Wii).

Being able to play DVDs is nice too, since Nintendo refuses to let the damn thing do it even though the hardware's there.

ViolentlyHappy91

Kerrick of Long Service
Apr 16, 2009
Huh. Do you put the games on SD cards like the R4 or what?
Indeed. Setting up the NAND emulator was the only hard part for me. Using a NAND emulator stops the system from copying files to and from the SD stick and flash memory (which causes damage over time) and just runs it all from the stick.

It only takes about 30 minutes to have everything fully set up.

zmanu

Nov 18, 2009
Tales of Golden Sun said:
Nimbus said:
Some games (like Super Mario Galaxy 2) make you update your Wii before you can play.
Nintendo doesn't know that Wii Homebrew users can just bypass that forced update.
Also, the shop channel (and, I suppose, any other channel that needs to access the net) can force you to update before it runs.

Anyway, their previous attempts to get rid of homebrew failed miserably. Best they can hope for ever is to prevent hacking of new or previously unhacked Wiis at this point. They should concentrate on battling piracy directly, say by guarding the games against getting run from an attached hard drive by hardcoding DVD reads instead of letting them go over the IOS and upping the encryption/signing on new WiiWare/Virtual Console titles.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
This is mildly obnoxious, but I'm sure it'll be worked around quickly enough (especially with the older model Wiis, where there's basically nothing they can do to block it short of coming to your house and replacing the hardware). I modded mine not for homebrew or piracy, but because the optical drive is slowly dying, and if I can play games off a USB device of some sort instead, then I only need to use the drive once per game to copy from the disc to the drive, then go put the game disc back on the shelf. I don't use it nearly enough (or have the money) to pay to replace it or get it repaired, so it's nice for now to still be able to get some use out of the games I bought.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Same...I never even heard things like this existed! What little do I know!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Megacherv said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I was thinking of that update too. It was supposed to brick the modded consoles but only bricked the legit ones. It?s one of the reasons I never update on update day. I like to wait and see if there are any problems.
Is this one designed to brick or just mod out the HB.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Well it's nice to hear that Nintendo is taking steps forward, but this is going to be hacked also.
Jaredin said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Same...I never even heard things like this existed! What little do I know!
A friend of mine used Homebrew and hacked W@W. It was good times, and the first time I'd ever heard of hacking a Wii. Very strange.