Microsoft: Kinect Not For Core Gamers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

Not finding Kinect all that appealing? Don't worry, you're not supposed to.

Kinect isn't aimed at the core Xbox 360 audience, says Microsoft. The platform holder says that the control pad will be the input of choice for any hardcore titles going forward, and the motion controller is for a more casual demographic.

"With Halo: Reach, Gears of War 3 and Call of Duty: Black Ops, this is the biggest year for core games on Xbox 360," said a Microsoft representative. "In addition to these controller-based games, Kinect is a new way to play, using your full body and voice ... At Xbox, we're developing controller-based games for the core and Kinect titles that appeal to everyone."

These comments are a distinct change in policy from this time last year, when project director Alex Kipman was assuring us that Natal would have "real, hardcore, triple-A titles," [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92270-Natal-Will-Have-Real-Hardcore-Games] and with Sony clearly trying to appeal to its core audience with Move, it's going to be interesting to see which strategy ultimately proves more successful. Microsoft clearly sees Kinect as part of a long term plan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101511-Microsoft-Looks-to-Kinect-to-Extend-360-Lifespan] however, so we might not be able to answer that question for some time.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39717/MS-plays-down-Kinects-hardcore-appeal]

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
Nice to see Microsoft acknowledging the obvious, right? Yeah...

The only way I can see Kinect succeeding is if they bundle with the 360 at a hefty discount. They won't be making a single dent in the Wii's casual-appeal armor with that enormous price difference.

bad_dog14

Dec 31, 2009

Really, you think so?! God these guys catch up quick.

EDIT: Also, how can Kinect appeal to anyone? Who wants to flail their arms about like a dumbass? If you want motion control, buy a Wii, Nintendo pretty much mastered the motion thing, cos they kept it still to controllers.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Nawh, really? I think everyone kind of figured that out during about a year ago, I'm afraid.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Then this thing is dead to me. It will now cease to exist in my conscious.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
At least there being honest about this. Though kind of obvious...

And calling this the biggest year for core games with only 3 games? Don't get me wrong I will play and enjoy them, but I've got a felling they're have been more better years.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
I'm sure Kinect will be awesome and work great and smoothly... on arcady casual games. And apparently that is what microsoft is trying to create. So.... that's good? (That it won't ruin any good games i mean)

phenity

Jun 23, 2010
With a whole two notable exclusives and a cross platform game that's going to sell regardless of the quality, this is the biggest year for core gamers on Xbox yet! Buy LIVE!

Appealing to everyone? Honestly I feel that playing with Kinect is even more embarrassing and unappealing than with a Wii simply because of the whole no controller thing. The more I think about it, the less the whole "No Controller" gimmick even seems like a good idea.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
And from this point on, they have irreversibly lost the market that considers itself 'hardcore'.

All the insecure gamers that identify as hardcore are essentially being told not to buy the Kinect unless they want to be a wimpy, pathetic casual gamer.

NOTE: This is just what I'm predicting people will think. I do not share these views, the whole hardcore/casual distinction is silly.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
bad_dog14 said:

Really, you think so?! God these guys catch up quick.

EDIT: Also, how can Kinect appeal to anyone? Who wants to flail their arms about like a dumbass? If you want motion control, buy a Wii, Nintendo pretty much mastered the motion thing, cos they kept it still to controllers.
Some people have different opinions about it, hard to imagine, I know.

I'm one person who is excited for Kinect. It should be fun and innovative. So now you know one guy who will enjoy this. I also play "hardcore" games, whatever that made up term means.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
It took them 1 year to admit what I had known as 100% certain ever since last year's E3 and Peter Molyneux frothing at his mouth at it all?

Ah well...at least the honesty this time around is a nice change.

Apr 28, 2008
Only 3 games, one of which is on the PS3 and Wii?

So if 2 core games are the biggest year for 360 core gamers, then I really feel sorry for them.

Balobo said:
Halo Reach is a core game?
Well yeah, the Halo brand has been with Xbox since the beginning, and is arguably why the 360 is where its at.

almostnot

Apr 20, 2010
If it's not for hardcore gamers why does it cost so much and come as an add on to a core console...?

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
I mean sure competition is healthy, and this is clearly an attempt to do what Nintendo did not unlike Sony when they released the six axis. But really.. I mean, really guys? I have the funniest feeling Microsoft is going to soon realize exactly why the PSP market failed next to Nintendo's DS market. For any failings the company does have, Nintendo usually knows what they're doing. I don't think Microsoft is as aware...

Jun 26, 2009
Balobo said:
Halo Reach is a core game?
Yeah, no matter what anyone says 'hardcore'* gamers will buy this...
I will too...
It's not the best game out there but t's OK enough to buy IF there's nothing else out I want.
*people who think there 'hardcore'.