Inoperable Phaser Will Run You $500

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Inoperable Phaser Will Run You $500

A new phaser replica is selling for $500, but despite the "dustbuster" in its name, it does no actual cleaning.

Phasers in Star Trek were pretty ridiculous when the original series aired, being on par with the ray gun designs out of the 1950s. The Next Generation provided the phaser design that so many of us have come to associate with the franchise these days; if you're willing to shell out $500, you can be the proud owner of the Star Trek TNG Dustbuster Hand Phaser Prop Replica. The good news is that it looks like a real phaser but the bad news is that it does no actual dusting.

"Affectionately named after Earth's favorite dust bunny removal device," the product description says, "the Star Trek TNG Dustbuster Hand Phaser Prop Replica comes with a slick black display base and batteries, to give you the ultimate in futuristic self-defense equipment! With a working LED and awesome sounds, this collectible prop is going to look fantastic in any armory, office, or convention."

If this was a high-end, limited edition, replica/dustbuster, the $500 pricetag might seem a little less unreasonable. The problem, though, is that "dustbuster" was apparently stuck in the title because of the way the replica looks and for no other reason. That means all you're going to get for your money is a model that lights up and makes some "awesome sounds."

You know, I had a toy phaser that looked and sounded like the real deal when I was growing up. After some investigative journalism (I called my mother and asked how much she spent on it), I found out it cost about $30 at the time. Granted, it wasn't as highly-detailed as this replica, but I'm not sure this level of craftsmanship is worth half a grand.

Source: Geek.com

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I never liked the TNG design of phasers. I mean look at them, they're TV remotes! You can't even aim them!

Also, this phaser totally is operable. [http://gizmodo.com/5560206/the-spyder-iii-pro-arctic-is-a-real-life-lightsaber] I really don't see how people keep calling that a real life lightsaber! It doesn't even utilise plasma! It's way closer to a Star Trek phaser in actual function.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It looks nice, ill admit, but...its a little, pricy? I supppose hard core collectors will love it though!

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
I think ill stick to the Cheap ones from Toys 'R' Us.

If i was to want to get one, Chances are it would be for a fancy dress party.

All Fancy dress parties ive been too since i turned 18 (now 21) have involved excessive drinking, And ive never[/I] come home with my whole outfit.

Girls like to nick parts of your outfits, be it a hat, or a toy sword.

If my $500 phaser went missing, I'd drop a bollock[/I].

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Why would I buy this when I could buy a (almost) working lightsaber cheaper and it comes from a better series?!

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
Okay, this confuses me. Someone care to explain how it's a dustbuster? That isn't in the title at all...

Never watched Star Trek, does it have something to do with that?

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
they couldn't have gone with the sleeker design from later in the series?

The old dustbuster models were ugly as hell.

-m

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Zayren said:
Okay, this confuses me. Someone care to explain how it's a dustbuster? That isn't in the title at all...

it looks approximately like a dust-buster?

-m

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Zayren said:

It's the model used in the early The Next Generation seasons. It's big and was nicknamed the "Dustbuster" due to it's resemblance to the portable vacuum cleaner of the same name. Later down the line they replaced it with a less goofy model.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I agree ... what the heck did they make it out of? Solid gold? I love Star Trek, but not that much!

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Zayren said:

It's the model used in the early The Next Generation seasons. It's big and was nicknamed the "Dustbuster" due to it's resemblance to the portable vacuum cleaner of the same name. Later down the line they replaced it with a less goofy model.
Okay, thanks.

riotwraith

May 27, 2010
"The problem, though, is that "dustbuster" was apparently stuck in the title because of the way the replica looks and for no other reason"
No. Dustbuster was the name given to it by the fans of the show and by the people on set during filming due to it's resemblance to a dustbuster. That name was thrown in because that is the style of phaser that it is, which is necessary information when trying to find a specific model in the sea of different phasers you'll no doubt find on the internet.

This is the kind of item that you don't notice the incredible difference in it unless you are obsessed with star trek. If you're the kind of person to translate shakespeare into klingon and send former cast members your prototype klingon condoms (both things that people have actually done. Also: RIDGED FOR HER PLEASURE HAHAHAH I AM SO FUNNYS LOLOLO) then 500 dollars is a small price to pay for the right level of detail in a prop.

No, I wouldn't buy it either. But it's not FOR us. This is a very specific niche-market item. Hence the high price.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
yeah, when Lucasfilm came out with replica lightsabers they cost $120 for the really nice ones and they had a shaft that lit up just like in the movie and made the sounds when you moved it and even made the sound of lightsabers colliding when you whacked someone with it, and they are pretty sturdy. so in this particular instance Star Wars wins.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Well, at least I can still get a high-powered laser for around $200...