E3 2010: Warriors: Legends of Troy Hands On

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
E3 2010: Warriors: Legends of Troy Hands On

Every gamer is familiar with the tale of the Trojan War, and the epic confrontation of Achilles and Hector at the gates of Troy. Yet few have ever read the source material, the epic poem known as The Iliad. And that's a shame. For sheer blood-drenched visceral action, few narratives can match Homer's poetry:

"Achilles' spear wounded Deucalion in the fore-arm where the sinews of the elbow are united, whereon he waited Achilles' onset with his arm hanging down and death staring him in the face. Achilles cut his head off with a blow from his sword and flung it, helmet and all, away from him, and the marrow came oozing out of Deucalion's backbone as he lay."
If the ESRB was around in 700 B.C., they'd have had to rate The Iliad M for Mature. It only took 2710 years, but The Iliad is finally coming to consoles this fall, in the form of a new installment in the Dynasty Warriors franchise by Tecmo Koei America. Called Warriors: Legends of Troy, it seeks to bring tactical action gameplay to North American consumers in a packaging that's a bit more Western than the traditional "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" Chinese warfare of the previous games.

As a fan of The Iliad, I was quite intrigued at the possibilities inherent in combining the epic story of the Greek myth and the epic slaughter of the Dynasty Warriors games. But I was anxious as well: All too often, Greek myth is ruined by modern interlopers who think they can improve on tales of adventure and mayhem that were written in an era when people actually put on armor and killed foes for fun.

I got hands-on at E3 to find out the truth about Troy, and grilled senior gameplay designer Mike Bond in the process. My initial concerns were essentially narrative: Was this going to be a genuine adaption of the epic, or an action game related to The Iliad to the same extent Dante's Inferno was related to Dante's Inferno (Which is to say, not related at all)?

The answers I got made warmed my Hoplite-armored heart. Bond claimed the game was a detailed adaption of the entire mythological cycle of the Trojan War, covering the entire 10 year history of the epic confrontation, starting with the abduction of Helen by Prince Paris and ending with the destruction of Troy by the rampaging Greeks. He said that the game was designed to be true to Homer's Iliad as well as the other epic poems from the era, and even included lesser-known characters like the Amazon princess Panthesilea as playable characters.

In telling the myth straight, Tecmo Koei is doing the right thing. The beauty of Greek mythology is that it's already awesome. Achilles is not a protagonist you need to adapt to make "darker and edgier":

"Achilles drew his keen blade, and struck Lycaon by the collar-bone on his neck; he plunged his two-edged sword into him to the very hilt, whereon Lycaon lay at full length on the ground, with the dark blood welling from him till the earth was soaked. Then Achilles caught him by the foot and flung him into the river to go down stream, saying, 'Lie there among the fishes, who will lick the blood from your wound and gloat over it.'"
Given that I'm still bitter at Clash of the Titans for distorting the facts over who actually tamed the Pegasus (it was Bellerophon, not Perseus, and they fought a Chimera, not a Medusa), I'd probably be excited just hearing that the game was going to be true to the myths, but the gameplay is actually good, too.

The E3 demo let me get hands-on as Achilles, ostensibly the most powerful warrior on either side during the war. If at this point you're asking "how much fun can it be to play a hero who can't be hurt except in his left heel?", it's worth noting that in The Iliad, Achilles is not invincible all over except for his left heel - that's a later accretion to the story that got tacked on; in Homer's version, Achilles has magical armor, not invulnerable skin. That's the version Tecmo Koei has gone with, and the result is an armored bad-ass who wields sword and spear to deal death.

The actual death-dealing was engaging and accessible, as it should be. I've always found the most frustrating aspect of third-person fighting games to be circling and strafing against targets, but Legends of Troy offers a left-trigger "lock on" that makes it simple to maneuver against enemy champions. Combat was visceral and brutal, with blood and guts flying everywhere, and the entire aesthetic perfectly captured the look and feel of 300 or Troy. The enemy AI actually cowers in fear and flees when you start to win, which I found delightful, and very representative of the myth. Finishing blows were as nasty as the ones in The Iliad itself.

While playing as Achilles, I found I could also trigger a special "wrath" mode, sending the game visuals into dark and brooding overtones while I became a wrathful killing machine. It was almost as if they were trying to simulate this:

"So furiously did Achilles rage, wielding his spear as though he were a god, and giving chase to those whom he would slay, that the dark earth ran with blood. Like the farmer who yokes broad-browed oxen that they may tread barley in a threshing-floor-and it is soon bruised small under the feet of the lowing cattle-even so did the horses of Achilles trample on the shields and bodies of the slain. The axle underneath and the railing that ran round the chariot were bespattered with clots of blood thrown up by the horses' hoofs, and from the tires of the wheels; but Achilles pressed on to win still further glory, and his hands were bedrabbled with gore."
In short, the game demo made me feel like Achilles, prince of war; rather than Alex, potato of couches. I call that a good game demo. I'm looking forward to seeing Warriors: Legends of Troy when it releases this fall on PS3 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77694].

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
randompants said:
pluizig said:
As long as they don't model Achilles after Brad Pitt, I'm happy.
Achilles should definately be jason statham!
Ah, Jason Statham. He's so generic. In fairness, he doesn't seem to be appearing in quite so much stuff these days, but he's still used in faaaar too many things.

Snipermanic

Mar 1, 2008
will they feature a rage ability for Achillies after his lover Patroclus is slain? That'd be different indeed

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Ohh sounds good, especially the bit where they stick to the actual story. I can't wait wait sounds like a good game and it'll be fun to play one of my favourite story's!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
What was epic about that fight? Achilles just chased a coward few times around the city, when the stupid goddess took form of his brother and tricked him to fight the demigod. And then he was killed and dragged around the town for few hours.

Oooh, you mean the movie scene...

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
This actually looks great, but I'm hoping less of hte Japanese style gameplay gets in this time.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
At least you're not not the only one whose noticed the random changes to the source material in media based on Greek Mythology. Don't even get me started on "Hades unleash the Kraken to fight the Titans" BS in the Clash of the Titans remake.

As for this game, I'm skeptical because all of the gameplay footage looks like Dynasty Warriors minus the thousands of peons.

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
Did you guys know that there is gameplay out of this?

The game also has 4 player online co-op from what I've heard as well. Hopefully it turns out alright, it would be awesome to play with friends online.

SonOfIkaros

Oct 6, 2009
Alright, this has the potential to be very good. Very cool to see that they want to stick with the original source material. So few games do this, and it's a damned shame because those old poems were absolutely epic. They don't need to be spiced up for a modern audience, they're already plenty spicy as it is. Please don't mess with them.

If they do this right I will definitely buy this, but looking at the gameplay video Thunderhorse94 posted I see few things that worry me. First and foremost, in the video we just get to see the player as a single hero against a tide of nameless badguys. That's not true to the source material at all. There were armies fighting at the gates of Troy, not just single heroes. Give the player a backup army as well, filled with other Greek/Trojan heroes and then I'll be satisfied.
Secondly, I dislike that the enemies are all nameless grunts. One of the coolest things about Homer is that he went to great lengths to make sure almost every fighter who died/killed someone else in his poem was named. If a random Trojan spearman threw his spear and killed some random Greek soldier, he would still have said, "and Aeson, son of Daedalus, threw his spear with great strength into the mass of Greek soldiers, and here it struck Leander, the son of Praxis, and he fell dead unto the ground," instead of just giving some passing description of the scene. This gives the poem an incredibly epic feel, and if the game did something similar- I don't know how they would pull it off, but it would be so cool- it would be just as epic.
And last but not least, for the love of God please don't change anything about the characters. Keep them like they were in the original poem, and don't meddle with them like almost everyone else who's tried to make a modern adaption of the poem has done.

Also, it would very, very cool if they included some kind of mechanic for single-combat on the battlefield, so that heroes could call each other out and fight while the battle raged on around them. And I'm not only talking about the player- though I'd love if they player had this kind of ability as well (I really want a Hector vs Big Ajax fight!)- but the bots as well. Wouldn't it be cool to wade around the battlefield, and find two AI heroes locked in single-combat? It would make the battles so much more dynamic.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Archon said:
If the ESRB was around in 700 B.C., they'd have had to rate The Iliad M for Mature.
Or F for Fucked up. Either way, it sounds interesting. I did click on the link thinking "what pile of shite will this be?" But I'm pleasantly surprised, and like what I hear. Here's hoping it's good stuff.

Javex

Mar 15, 2010
I'm cautiously optomistic about this one. Dynasty Warriors isn't exactly a benchmark action series.

Oh, and I'm not trying to pick on Alex or anything, but I believe that the game is being made by Koei Canada. Not Koei America.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Javex said:
I'm cautiously optomistic about this one. Dynasty Warriors isn't exactly a benchmark action series.

RAEGEGEGEGGEGEEGEGGEGEGEGEGEEGGEGEGG!!!!!

Dynasty Warriors has its niche, and this game looks like an excellent follow up to that formula.

So watch what you say, heretic!

;)

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Thunderhorse94 said:

The game also has 4 player online co-op from what I've heard as well. Hopefully it turns out alright, it would be awesome to play with friends online.
Holy shit that looks epic, and the bodies don't fade! Yay!

I just hope there's archery...

SonOfIkaros

Oct 6, 2009
Ironic Pirate said:
Thunderhorse94 said:

Holy shit that looks epic, and the bodies don't fade! Yay!

I just hope there's archery...
I definitely hope there's archery. Playing Teucer, the master archer, would be absolutely awesome.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
When I first saw the trailer, I immediately passed it off as being Troy: The Game. After reading this article, though, my opinion has changed. I may check it out once it's released.