Manhunt 2 Given Final U.K. Clearance

Watershed

Dec 10, 2007
After a 9 month battle between Rockstar and the BBFC, the ban on Manhunt 2 has been lifted and will be released in the UK. Both the original and edited versions were initially rejected by the BBFC, but the Video Appeals Committee upheld an earlier decision that the game could be sold.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7296278.stm

This makes me happy. I have no intention of buying manhunt 2, but I'd hate to see the BBFC start to censor games. That'd start us down a slippery slope I think. I'd hate to see an actual good quality game banned due to violent content, especially when films like hostel and saw get away with it. So, thoughts, opinions? Anyone played it? Is it as bad (in both content and gameplay) as its supposed to be?

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
Thing is, Manhunt wasn't even that great, just violence for the sake of violence. I can see number two being much of the same.

I hate to see censorship of any kind, so it's all good.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Manhunt 2 Given Final U.K. Clearance

After nine months of back-and-forth decisions and appeals, Manhunt 2 [http://www.rockstargames.com/manhunt2/]has finally been cleared for sale in the U.K.

Originally refused a rating by the reconsider [http://www.bbfc.co.uk/], meaning the game would continue to remain unavailable while that process took place.

Although generally believed that would lead to a reversal of the appeal decision, the VAC announced today that the result of its reconsideration is the same as its original decision, a 4-3 vote in favor of GamesIndustry [http://www.rockstargames.com]report, the BBFC has issued a statement saying further challenges to the appeal had little realistic chance of succeeding, and therefore given the game an "18" rating.

"As I have said previously, we never taken rejections lightly, and they always involved a complex balance of considerations. We twice rejected Manhunt 2, and then pursued a judicial review challenge, because we considered, after exceptionally thorough examination, that it posed a real potential harm risk," said BBFC Director David Cooke.

"However, the Video Appeals Committee has again exercised its independent scrutiny. It is now clear, in light of this decision, and our legal advice, that we have no alternative but to issue an "18" certificate to the game."

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
YES! Another victory for video games. Even though the game wasn't that good, this does show that maybe people are becoming more accepting of video games *Gets stared at*... or not. Maybe we just got lucky. I hope it's the former.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Huh, I might finally get a Wii.... if only to see what the fuss was all about, seriously, banned twice and the BBFC still think it should be banned?! We really need a proper ratings system for games in this country.

Mr Wednesday

Jan 22, 2008
The BBC actually interviewed a gamer when they ran the piece on its release.

Good to see out voice being heard for a change(without being edited into Oblivion.)

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
So.

Who's actually going to buy it?

I have a feeling Rockstar are beginning to earn more money than sense.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Melaisis said:
So.

Who's actually going to buy it?

I have a feeling Rockstar are beginning to earn more money than sense.
Sure, people will buy it. People still immature enough to find extreme violence in itself entertaining. Basically people who legally shouldn't be allowed to buy the game at all.

die4769

Mar 17, 2008
Why even ban games, it's the parents' job to make sure their kids don't play games that are inappropriate, if you start censoring games, what's next? Movies? The internet? Literature? Free Speech? Thank god none of this happens in America (mostly).

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I think we need to give a shout-out (look at me, I'm so hip) to the Video Appeals Committee for sticking to their guns with the decision. True, they were only ordered to "reconsider," but I don't think anyone seriously believed that wasn't just a code word for "change your decision or else." So, good for them.

As for Manhunt 2 itself, maybe it's shit but that's not relevant: The important point here is that developers are free to make shit, gamers are free to buy shit, and shit is free to succeed or fail on its own merits. I wouldn't go see a Saw movie if you paid me (well, maybe if you paid me lots) but I'd sure as hell stand up to defend the right of the producers to make them.