Inafune: It's a "Dark Time" for Japanese Studios

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Inafune: It's a "Dark Time" for Japanese Studios

Capcom's [http://www.capcom.com/] Keiji Inafune says it's a "dark time" for Japanese game developers as the videogame market today has become "primarily Western."

Inafune is a big player in the Japanese game development community. He's in charge of R&D and the Global Head of Production at Capcom, he's the co-designer of Street Fighter 4 [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=Megaman&x=9&y=12] and a whole lot more. So when he says he's worried that Japan's game development industry is declining in the face of pressure from the West, it's a good bet that there's some validity to the point.

"If you look at the major titles, they're now primarily Western. If you look at all the different signs and all the billboards [at E3], most of those are Western titles. A lot of the key announcements are also Western titles," he told VideoGamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/dead_rising_2/preview-2441.html]. "I think to myself sometimes, if we keep on this course, the Japanese gaming market will disappear totally."

It's a "dark time" for Japanese developers, he said, and while Capcom wants to "fight the good fight" to makes it games succeed in the increasingly Westernized market, he recognizes that it won't be able to do it alone.

"It's going to have to come through collaborative efforts and co-operation. It's our U.S. staff, our European staff, working closely with them," he continued. "Of course we are working with a lot of different Western developers as well. It's being able to share their knowledge and information, to collaborate with them on a very in-depth level, that's going to allow us to grow as a company and to be able to understand how the market is changing in the West."

The comments are similar to those he made in September of last year, when he said the Japanese videogame industry is "finished [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95024-Inafune-Japanese-Game-Industry-is-Finished]."

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Maybe they should've modernised their RPGs a bit? Just a thought.

I know they don't just make RPGs by the way.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
Well yeah its bound to happen. Japanese games are primarily made for Japanese culture. Now for how large of a market that is people in the west are tired of the same shit being produced time and time again; epically in the rpg department.

Japanese developers need to realize they need to evolve with the global audience if they want to survive.

I think for starters Japanese developers might want to consider making their main protagonist an actual adult rather then a effeminate teenage metro-sexual. Don't get me wrong there is a market for that, but most of your original fans have grown up and are now adults. We seriously don't want to play games where we are playing a teenager.

* Also if Capcom wants to get back into the good graces of the RPG fans how about going back and making that Breath of Fire game you fucking owe us after that last piece of shit Dragon Quarter you stuck us with as a "final game of the series?"

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I'm sorry, but isn't CAPCOM the only people saying this? Dudes, shut the hell up and release something super cool. I know you're doing that Marvel vs Capcom thing but it would be awesome if you also did Devil May Cry 5. With Dante.

Calumon: Nero can be a supporting character.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Honestly I'm not surpised you know with E3 being a western event. Thats like western developers saying theyre worried about the state of western game development because its mostly japanese games at TGS.

Anyway the japanese game market will always exist. It may get stronger or weaker but it will never dissapear

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Given the general quality of their products, I would not be particularly saddened if the Japanese games industry dropped dead.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
Would it kill them to try something just a little different? Maybe if they did they wouldn't be having such trouble.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
I don't feel eastern and western styles of games are completely different. Oh yes there are marked differences between the two, but it is not night and day.

What the Japanese developers, who have talent, creativity and resources, is make games in the new western mold, but maintain their eastern feel.

Think of it like Samurai Jack. It was a western cartoon that had the eastern feel of an anime, sorta. The studios could do something like that, only reverse.

I think this is more of an opportunity than they realize. While there are many features that make 'western games' what they are, there are an equal number of tired and over-used features that can make one western game look and feel like another.

A Japanese company doing a western game may have the perfect mix of appealing to the new gamer with a western style game, but approaching it from a different, non-westenr angle to keep things fresh.

Long and the short of it, as long as Japanese game makers avoid like behaving like American car-makers, they'll do just fine.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
They need to evolve. SE Imperial Hot has the right idea, he is trying to embrace and change the way the market works...but, it will take time.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
I'm sorry, but isn't CAPCOM the only people saying this? Dudes, shut the hell up and release something super cool. I know you're doing that Marvel vs Capcom thing but it would be awesome if you also did Devil May Cry 5. With Dante.

Calumon: Nero can be a supporting character.
Bring back Godhand and I buy again.

Or viewtiful joe.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Zhukov said:
Given the general quality of their products, I would not be particularly saddened if the Japanese games industry dropped dead.
Same here - but I know the Wapanese folk will whine if it does.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I think the reason for such events coming around is not too complicated. As far as I can tell the Japanese side of the videogame industry has been somewhat well...closed-minded when it comes to innovation from abroad thus far. It might sound racist, but it tends to remind me of the cliche of Japanese xenophobia (of being afraid of influences from abroad).

And if such sentiments run within an industry, that has by now become very clearly global, then it comes as no surprise to me that the Japanese side is slowly being snubbed by the global audiences. With things like Japanese games released purely within Japan, but not being open to the western audiences...this kind of development really strikes me as being inevitable. If Japan is making videogames purely for Japan, then obviously the rest of the world will march on without them while they live off of whatever earnings their own country provides them with. And if they try to make their games appeal to global audiences...how can they do that when their development has worked so hard to insulate themselves beforehand? How can you understand an audience that likes other things that you do if you've not been paying a bit more attention to them beforehand?

In the end it all seems to me as if Japan is getting left behind because it excluded itself from global developments too much.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Pinstar said:
I don't feel eastern and western styles of games are completely different. Oh yes there are marked differences between the two, but it is not night and day.

What the Japanese developers, who have talent, creativity and resources, is make games in the new western mold, but maintain their eastern feel.

Think of it like Samurai Jack. It was a western cartoon that had the eastern feel of an anime, sorta. The studios could do something like that, only reverse.
No More Her-Oe's: Good for your daily dose of samurais, and Western gaming with Eastern flavor:Sorry to bring that up again, but Suda 51 seems to be the only one who grasp the concept "Fun Japanese-made Western game."
But It must be a dark time if they shut down Clover Studios. Still never gonna let go of that.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Well. Seems to be working for Nintendo with Mario, Zelda etc.

Maybe they shouldn't make poor games (that aren't called Okami) and be awesome again.

The day every game on the shelf is American made is the day I give up gaming.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Capcom is about the only Japanese game developer (besides Nintendo if I had a Wii) I'd buy from because they actually make game palatable for western audiences. If you look at other games coming out of Japan, they are the same old JRPGs we've seen a thousand times before. A bunch of teenagers with questionable sexuality and fashion sense put together in a really drawn out story with turn based fighting. Nintendo gets it. They release a lot of platformers that are unique, but identifiable. They also have Zelda, which is kind of like a JRPG, but it is quite conservative when it comes to characters, and there is no turn based fighting (and it doesn't throw you into battle every 3 seconds).

Centheon

Aug 5, 2009
His statement is very late...

All they needed to do it get the games outside of japan and that's exactly what they've been doing.

Square bought Eidos for this exact reason.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Reaction 1: Really? I don't think Nintendo's noticed a thing.

Reaction 2: This is terrible for Capcom. Too bad they don't have a side studio devoted to take risks exploring new and interesting game ideas so they could develop new inventive material to keep the world enticed like, hell I don't know, making the main character a wolf, or interpreting classic movie special effects into gameplay.

Najos

Aug 4, 2008
Sounds like a lot of cry-facing to me. Like Rect Pola said, Nintendo? They still dominate the video game market. Sony is a Japanese company as well, if everyone forgot. Hell, I don't think Square is hurting either.