Songwriter M.I.A. Thinks Videogames Make Violence Easier

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Songwriter M.I.A. Thinks Videogames Make Violence Easier

In M.I.A.'s opinion, videogames give kids the wrong idea about what it's like to inflict violence in the real world.

Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam, also known as singer/songwriter M.I.A., has been criticized in the past for interpretations that some of her works, such as "Paper Planes" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewRjZoRtu0Y], encourage violence, though she has at times denied these violent meanings. M.I.A. herself thinks that videogames could be more problematic than music in regards to childrens' views on violence.

Speaking in Connect Magazine (via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=253248]), M.I.A. said that while she unfortunately "saw violence all the time" during her upbringing as a child in Sri Lanka, her kids will only see it "in computer games." Still, this could be a bigger problem.

"I don't know which is worse," she said. "The fact that I saw it in my life has maybe given me lots of issues, but there's a whole generation of American kids seeing violence on their computer screens and then getting shipped off to Afghanistan."

The problem in M.I.A.'s mind is that the violence depicted in videogames is unrealistic: "They feel like they know the violence when they don't. Not having a proper understanding of violence, especially what it's like on the receiving end of it, just makes you interpret it wrong and makes inflicting violence easier."

Killing in a game is like shooting at a picture of a soldier: Nothing really happens. Killing someone in real life affects that person's family, those around them, and can have much deeper consequences. M.I.A. could be right that violent games and other media give kids a mindset that war is "cool" and that a death has less meaning than it really does, but I seriously doubt that anyone playing Call of Duty thinks they're going to be wielding dual shotguns in Afghanistan.

I personally grew up on games like Doom II, even adding the extra-gory monster deaths patch, yet would have trouble aiming a gun at another human being even in self defense. Though many people's opinions on videogame violence tend to be pretty ludicrous, M.I.A. could have a valid point that too much gaming can give young kids the wrong general idea, but I've yet to meet a kid that can't tell the difference between Xbox and real life.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=253248]

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Student Abedeus thinks M.I.A. is an unknown idiot starved for attention.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I an effort to not just reply with a crude comment involving her, i'll say this!

I've never ever seen or heard of someone looking at someone getting stabbed in a game for tips. I /have/ seen people shoulder a paintball gun like you would in a game. It all depends on how impressionable the person it, and it falls onto us to know what we can handle.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Though many people's opinions on videogame violence tend to be pretty ludicrous, M.I.A. could have a valid point that too much gaming can give young kids the wrong general idea, but I've yet to meet a kid that can't tell the difference between Xbox and real life.
I was going to say something in response but you basically summed up what I was thinking. If kids couldn't tell the difference between fantasy and reality (which we ALL can, at an extremely young age), the world would be a scary place.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Sorry, but what does she know? She's probably just diverting the attention away from herself by blaming things she doesn't fully understand. Someone should shoot her in the face with a railspike gun! That'll prove her wrong.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
I don't think someone who was unknown until Pineapple Express came along has anything worthwhile to say.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
MIA's first album was brilliant. Her second one, not so much. I cant stand Paper Planes.

As for her opinion, I disagree but I do subscribe the unpopular opinion that videogames do desensitize the brain to violence, somewhat.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
And next week we'll be talking to Micheal Phelps for his expert opinion on whether or not rap music promotes violence in youths.

Seriously, shes a singer not a psychologist but now people are going to use her opinion as if it is. Thanks for fueling the anti-gaming idiots. I'll be sure to attend one of your concerts with a petrol bomb since video games made me so violent

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
"All I want to do is BANG BANG BANG BANG!
And KA-CHING!
And take your money"

"Some, some, some I, some I murder
Some, I some I let go
Some, some, some I, some I murder
Some, I some I let go"

And considering some of the lyrics in her songs^ she doesn't think they maybe encourage violence and what not. Hypocrite.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I completely agree with her. It's both good and bad that a lot of young kids aren't exposed to real violence. Video games give a very strange impression on a lot of phenomena.

This isn't about telling real from game, it's about understanding the implications (especially the mental ones) of conflict.

Lot's of people either didn't read to OP, or need to take their heads out of their asses and stop jugding people. I only partially like her music and even though I understand her texts to be satirical, I still don't like the majority of them. What she says has nothing to do with what I think about her music.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Alright kids, move along. Nothing to see here. Just another person trying to say something that has been proven wrong.
Where did I hear this from?
"Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even if they are wrong"

because it goes perfect with this

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
I feel kinda like I've been trolled every time The Escapist feels the need to make an article about what a random know-nothing celeb said about gaming. It's usually an obvious ploy for attention when a celebrity takes on a controversial subject like violence in gaming - attention you're all too keen to give them.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
When she has a few psychology degrees on her wall, then we'll be interested in her opinion.

Until then, don't sell the bike shop, or whatever it is she does...

edthehyena

Oct 26, 2009
She actually kinda has a bit of a point, and I've met some mentally unstable people who DO have a hard time with the fantasy/reality barrier.

This is why games have ratings, and violent games are for older people who have already learned the difference.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I thought Paper Planes was about smoking weed, not violence?

Anyway, "BLAH BLAH BLAH".

Not listening.

Old Hat

Apr 20, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
I seriously doubt that anyone playing Call of Duty thinks they're going to be wielding dual shotguns in Afghanistan. >
You'd be surprised. I've known morons who thought like that.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I think her credablitity was launched our of the country with a cannon on the matter when she said "Paper airplanes cause violence."