Twilight Star Supposedly Related to Dracula

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Twilight Star Supposedly Related to Dracula

A genealogy web site claims that it has evidence showing that the actor who plays sparkle-vampire Edward Cullen in Twilight is related to Vlad the Impaler - the real-life Dracula.

Many nerds and fans of classical horror turn up their noses at the portrayal of vampires in Stephenie Meyer's obscenely popular Twilight [http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Saga-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316038377/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278441272&sr=8-1] novels: They sparkle in the sun instead of dying, they don't have to feed on humans, and they're love-struck and "emo." But if a genealogy group is to believed, actor Robert Pattinson - aka Edward "Sparkle McBroodypants" Cullen - is distantly related to a real vampire. Or as real a vampire as they get, anyway.

On Wednesday, Ancestry.com claimed that its research showed that the British-born Pattinson was related to 15th-century despot Vlad III Dracula, a ruler whose notorious cruelty earned him the nickname "Vlad the Impaler." Vlad's exploits would go on to influence Bram Stoker, who gave the ruler's epithet to his iconic vampire in the 1897 novel Dracula.

According to Ancestry.com's Anastasia Tyler, Pattinson's roots likely trace back to Vlad the Impaler through the current British royal family. "Tracing Pattinson's family back to Vlad was difficult research, but the pieces that unraveled created the perfect accompaniment to The Twilight Saga," said Tyler.

It's an interesting bit of trivia if true, yes, but I can't help but agree with the Fandango bloggers [http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/robert-pattinson-is-related-to-reallife-dracula-637501.html]: This is tenuous at best. By peppering their claims with "probably" and "likely," it's hard to see any real evidence in Ancestry.com's claims, which is kind of understandable given that we're talking about tracing family ties back centuries.

In fact, given that the third Twilight movie, Eclipse, is scheduled to come out next Wednesday, this thing strikes me as little more than a publicity stunt. I'm not saying that it's necessarily not true, but the whole thing just strikes me as incredibly vague.

Of course, given that Robert Pattinson has made it publicly clear how much he dislikes the Twilight saga, maybe after the movies wrap up he'd like to get in touch with his distant ancestor and do a movie where he plays an actual badass vampire instead of a wuss like Edward.

(Reuters [http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65N04S20100624])

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Well IF this is true he's hardly living up to his great-great-great-great-great Grandfathers expectations.

Sparkle... BAH!
Go impale someone and make Gramps proud!

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
But to play Dracula he'd need to pit his acting chops against Gary Oldman, Christopher Lee and Leslie Nielson... is that really wise?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
But to play Dracula he'd need to pit his acting chops against Gary Oldman, Christopher Lee and Leslie Nielson... is that really wise?
He is a good actor, and I bet he can pull it off, as long as he trys.

Calumon: Twinkle Twinkle little Vampire.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Massive "Who gives a flying fuck?"

A) Vlad's probably rolling in his grave because of the mess that the twilight series.

B) Why does it matter? Like seriously... at all?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well..hes certainly nothing like him thats for sure...uif hes realted to him act like him!

MissPixxie

Mar 15, 2010
madcap2112 said:
He'd be the nephew the Dracula family doesn't talk about, the embarrassing one.
This. If you really ARE part of the family twinkle-toes, you're not doing a very good job, are yah?

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Publicity stunt. Expect Pattison's agents to sue and then retract the suit and the site in question to receive a minor spike in traffic.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
John Funk said:
Of course, given that Robert Pattinson has made it publicly clear how much he dislikes the Twilight saga,
He gets paid, probably, a metric tonne of cash per film, has women lusting after him and may possibly be a big star in the future.
And he's complaining? What. A. Ruddy. Pillock.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
And they don't even remotely live up to Max Schreck:

So imagine how terribad poor Pattinson is.
poiumty said:
Here's a bit of trivia for ya: "The Impaler" is most likely just a fancy name given for the stupid foreigners. His real name was "Tepes" which is pronounced like "Tzeh-pesh", and it kinda sounds more like "spiky" than "The Impaler". Of course, the badass name is perceived as historical truth.

So yes, i can clearly see the resemblance to Vlad Spiky. In the hair, i mean.
I thought the Impaler was his real-life nick name, given to him by the Turks. Tepes sounds awfully evil on it's own though.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Haha, yeah, it's not possible to go back that much in a family tree unless we are talking about incestuous royal families that have been well documented and never mingled with anyone. Sorry Mr.Cullen's manager!

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
coldalarm said:
John Funk said:
Of course, given that Robert Pattinson has made it publicly clear how much he dislikes the Twilight saga,
He gets paid, probably, a metric tonne of cash per film, has women lusting after him and may possibly be a big star in the future.
And he's complaining? What. A. Ruddy. Pillock.
Would you like to get known for shallow movies based on crappy books?
Imo he doesn't likes the cause not the consequences.

Apr 28, 2008
Doubtful.
But wait, if they traced it through the royal family, does that mean he's royalty as well?

Hope not...

And for god sakes, fix the damn hair! Its like someone gave him a swirly...

Where's Blade when you need him...