Sony Nixes 3D For Next PSP

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Nixes 3D For Next PSP

Sony has no plans to imitate the Nintendo 3DS and won't be incorporating 3D into the next PSP.

Sony might have been pleased by the 3DS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101501-Sony-Pleased-By-Nintendo-3DS] but has no plans to use a glasses-free 3D screen for the PSP's successor. For now, it looks like the company will be focusing on 3D games only for the PlayStation 3.

In an interview with Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony-very-confident-in-ps3-move-following-e3/2/], Sony Worldwide Studios VP Scott Rohde was asked if the company would add 3D technology into the next PSP and he replied: "No, no plans for that ... We just chose to focus on the big 3D in the home."

This makes sense considering Sony CEO Kaz Hirai amazing lineup [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101514-Sony-Boss-Talks-Down-Handheld-3D], but Nintendo's future darling handheld looks even cooler than expected.

Sony seems to be in danger of falling even further behind in the handheld space and hasn't even done anything with touchscreen technology yet. What will the PSP2 do, when will it be announced, and is there even one in the planning stages?

In regards to these questions, Rhode said: "It's just not something we're announcing right now. It's just as simple as that. It's all I can tell you." A waiting game it is.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Donnyp said:
Twilight.falls said:
Nintendo always seems to be a step ahead of the other guys.
3d is lame anyway. For all systems. Its not that Nintendo is ahead of them because sony already has 3d games so they beat them to the finish line but the 3d is stupid. It hopefully will be a passing fad.
Have you played a 3D game? I hoped it would be a passing fad but play a 3D game on the PS3, its insanity. God I hope 3D TVs become cheaper. Motion control can suck it imo but 3D gaming better be the next step in gaming.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Donnyp said:
Twilight.falls said:
3d is lame anyway. For all systems. Its not that Nintendo is ahead of them because sony already has 3d games so they beat them to the finish line but the 3d is stupid. It hopefully will be a passing fad.
Warren Spector disagrees [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101676-Warren-Spector-3DS-Changed-My-Life].

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
soapyshooter said:
Donnyp said:
Twilight.falls said:
Have you played a 3D game? I hoped it would be a passing fad but play a 3D game on the PS3, its insanity. God I hope 3D TVs become cheaper. Motion control can suck it imo but 3D gaming better be the next step in gaming.
It seems that 3D is becoming the big thing, both in movies and 3D. People will call it silly today but in the the future when EVERYTHING is 3D we will embrace it.

Let's not forget that the 3DS works PERFECTLY. It's impossible to describe without seeing it, a video or picture doesn't do it justice. Good job Nintendo.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
You can't get proper 3D on such a small screen. It will never look adequate. Leave the 3D to cinemas and home-cinemas.

I really hope they'll aim at making the next PSP a beast. Handhelds are weaker, by definition, but they don't have to be 'casual'. nVidia has some cool all-in-one chips coming. People should take advantage of this, and maybe combine two to give it some power.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
3D is a fad let it die!

As long as they didnt remove TV out the PSP2 looks a bit better than the XDSX....

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Donnyp said:
John Funk said:
Donnyp said:
Twilight.falls said:
Warren Spector disagrees [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101676-Warren-Spector-3DS-Changed-My-Life].
Lol. I already read that. As i said on the Forum there. It must have been a shitty life if 3ds changed it.

Also who is Warren Spector?
He created Deus ex...

You will need to run now, my guitar playing friend...run very fast.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
You nay sayers, going "3D is a fad let it die!" I just have one thing to say.

It's a required step for the 4th D to be awakened. And no one will stand between me and that!

... Oh you were talking about entertainment? Yes.... So was I...

*shifty eyes*

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
ZippyDSMlee said:
3D is a fad let it die!

As long as they didnt remove TV out the PSP2 looks a bit better than the XDSX....
Referring to my previous post, 3D seems to be the next big thing. It's the next step to the fancy stuff you see in Science Fiction. I embrace 3D, for at some point it will be everywhere.

It may be crude now, but some day it will be refined.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Donnyp said:
um....isn't 4d time. Check out Broken Helix. It used 4d :)
From a narrow minded perspective yes.

But to the open mind it is a demon waiting the doom of mankind by slowly poisoning the waters and manipulating out leaders. Waiting for the perfect moment when mankind is too weak to resist to fully break loose of it's confines and lead us into a glorious age of anarchy and destruction. something more.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Twilight.falls said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
3D is a fad let it die!

Referring to my previous post, 3D seems to be the next big thing. It's the next step to the fancy stuff you see in Science Fiction. I embrace 3D, for at some point it will be everywhere.

It may be crude now, but some day it will be refined.
Mmmm they are trying to take a an optical tick fad and make it the next big thing.....since for some people all it dose is make them sick I don't see it doing so well, its good for theaters but for a TV thats viewed for more than 4 hours a day...not so much.

Now lets get protected lazes and holographs, even if its no better quality wise than the old red/green/blue 3D its a step in a real vialable and long term direction.... of course that costs to much so what we get is 3D trickery for 5 to 20 years until they can do semi decent projections.......

Still .....3D as it is now is crap and will remain so until they stop trying to use optical illusions but in guess its a stop gap between refining LCD and HiDef to be better and cheaper......