Rumor: Star Wars: The Old Republic Closed Beta In Progress

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Star Wars: The Old Republic Closed Beta In Progress

A lucky few might already be taking a crack at BioWare's upcoming Star Wars MMORPG.

The Star Wars: The Old Republic [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1277584038&sr=8-6] community has been in a fervor over nearly confirmed rumors that the game has entered a public closed beta phase for this weekend only. The game isn't expected until mid-2011 at the earliest, but those with the force in them may be playing as we speak... err... write... as I write... and you read. They're playing it now is what I am saying.

BioWare has not confirmed the beta, but rather than a denial, Star Wars: The Old Republic community manager Sean Dahlberg wrote in this forum thread [http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=155695]: "Thanks for the information and it's definitely interesting that people are posting about our Game Testing Program. We don't have anything official to say at this moment." He also said that members of the beta were only allowed to say that there is a beta, and that they are in it, if one were to be ongoing.

An image capture of an alleged email invite was posted on Massively [http://www.massively.com/2010/06/23/rumor-swtor-closed-beta-happening-this-weekend] which says: "You have been invited to specifically test Korriban where you can play as either the Sith Inquisitor or Sith Warrior between the dates of June 25 through June 27." If it's a fake, it's a well made fake.

Personally I'm excited because this means we're finally getting closer to the point where we find out if the hype behind this game pans out. There are very high hopes for The Old Republic, what with BioWare's amazing development history combined with a story-focused experience [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100967-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-is-EAs-Most-Expensive-Project-in-History] rather than an endless grind-fest to acquire new loot and a parrot pet. A small, slightly evil part of me is hoping somebody breaks NDA and gets us some new information.

Via: Massively [http://www.massively.com/2010/06/23/rumor-swtor-closed-beta-happening-this-weekend]

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
Damn, I wish I was in the beta. This is the first MMORPG I've really been interested in.

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
Hrmpfh.

If that is true then there are a few people out there that I really envy right now.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
redmarine said:
What are the penalty for breaking the disclosure agreement? A fine?
You'll have to watch the Holiday Special, 3 times a day for a year!

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
When is this coming out? Early 2011?

If so, they'll need rigourous testing if they want it to be a smooth experience. Makes sense they'd already start with betas.

C'mon, half a year. You guys need to be patient.

redmarine said:
A headbutt from Commander Shepard.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Sir Ollie said:
redmarine said:
You'll have to watch the Holiday Special, 3 times a day for a year!
That's the death penalty by another name.

On-topic: I'm hoping that this is true and that this will lead to more being revealed about how the combat in this game is working now. I've mostly only seen cinematics from this game recently and cinematics don't get me to buy a game. The only game play videos I recall seeing are about a year old.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
A small, slightly evil part of me is hoping somebody breaks NDA and gets us some new information.
It's okay, we all have that voice in our minds right now.

..Damnit, I want my Beta invite, Bioware~! NAOW!

:/

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
If I recall, my friend made an account on the games official website and right after he made his account it asked him if he would like to participate in the beta.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I wonder how many people here who do get their beta invite will actually test the game. After all, the purpose of a beta of any sort is to destroy the game for you and have you wander every two steps, crash and report it. I am serious by the way, that's what they are there for. It's not fun.

Still, I signed up to test on the offchance they e-mail me. Doubt they will though, I rarely get accepted into these things. I must be a masochist for this kind of thing.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
redmarine said:
No death penalty, but you get kicked out of the beta... which, if it's as good as it's hyped to be, makes you wish you were dead.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
I signed up for the beta months ago and I have received nothing. So if there is a closed beta going on right now then it is a small number of people participating.