Peter Jackson Hobbles Over to Direct The Hobbit

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Peter Jackson Hobbles Over to Direct The Hobbit

The director of the Lord of the Rings trilogy may have decided to take on the Hobbit as well.

Peter Jackson did a fine job on the film translation of J.R.R. Tolkien's Deadline [http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Theatrical-Editions/dp/B000X9FLKM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277657363&sr=1-5] reports that Jackson has decided to direct two Hobbit films and is in negotiations to do so.

Guillermo Del Toro surprisingly stepped down as Hobbit director in May, possibly due to family or MGM financial concerns. Jackson was in the running [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101056-Peter-Jackson-Might-Direct-The-Hobbit-After-All] to direct the The Hobbit films as a natural progression after Lord of the Rings, but was tied up with other projects as of last month and wasn't sure if it'd be a possibility. Deadline's trusted sources are now saying that Jackson has been able to sneak his way out of those obligations.

Once Jackson is confirmed as the director of The Hobbit, there may also be a further discussion about whether to shoot the films in 3D or not, which could lead to the transfer of the Lord of the Rings trilogy to 3D as well. Jackson has said that he expects The Hobbit films to be released in December 2012 and December 2013 respectively, and can probably still make those dates happen as he's been tied into their production from the beginning.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/urgent-peter-jackson-negotiating-to-direct-the-hobbit-films/]

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Hehe guess Jackson and New Line will have to swallow some words, if they want to keep their million dollar project. ^^

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Well, it's coming a year later than originaly was planned, but it's better than not coming out at all. I'm just glad they're being made.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
Since when were two Hobbit films being made? This is the first i've heard of two
But if they made one they could only charge you once? and we cant have that now can we?

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Yes. Yes, I like this news.

In fact, let me have a fuck-yeah moment over there in the corner.

Excuse me.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Two Hobbit films? That's odd.

Anyway Del Toro had better get on with his Mountains of Madness adaptation now.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
Since when were two Hobbit films being made? This is the first i've heard of two
Making two Hobbit movies was the plan since they announced that they were making them.

The idea is that they're filling in the backstory for the Lord of the Rings trilogy that is concurrent with The Hobbit's story but wasn't actually in the book. Like the White Council attacking Dol Guldur.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I'm glad that he decided to make them. I hope they stay away from 3D though. I don't really like it.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
This is all kinds of good news to me. Though I would have loved to see what Del Toro's version would have looked like. Oh well.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
Making two Hobbit movies was the plan since they announced that they were making them.

The idea is that they're filling in the backstory for the Lord of the Rings trilogy that is concurrent with The Hobbit's story but wasn't actually in the book. Like the White Council attacking Dol Guldur.
Okay, that sounds absolutely awesome :D

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
I really liked the Lord of the Rings trilogy and I'm guessing The Hobbit will be just as good.
[small][sub]I need to repay the series a visit... they're really good movies and I haven't watched them in ages....[/sub][/small]

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Huh.. I'm rather disappointed we won't be seeing Del Toro's take on Tolkien, but what better man to hand the project over to?

It'll be fantastic :D

Hope Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf!

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009
This is the best news I've heard about the film industry in a while. I adored the LOTR Trilogy and I adore Peter Jackson, he has such a fantastic vision of Middle Earth and with him directing The Hobbit, its pretty much confirmed that they are going to be amazing movies

Boba Frag said:
Hope Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf!
Good news, Ian MacKellen has been confirmed to return as Gandalf. Only he could return to the role really. Although Christopher Lee wont be returning as Saruman, as he says he's too old to fly to New Zealand now. Sad news.