EA Wants Good Year for PS3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
EA Wants Good Year for PS3

A senior executive at EA believes that good games, a slimmer redesign and a certain ad campaign has re-invigorated the PS3 [http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-120-GB/dp/B002I0J4VQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278435124&sr=1-1].

EA isn't about to play favorites when it comes to platforms, but that doesn't stop it being very enthusiastic about the PlayStation 3 right now. EA's Chief Operating Officer John Schappert says that his company isn't picking sides, but sees good things in the PS3's future. "We have high hopes on the PlayStation 3 this year," he said. "We like them all, but PlayStation 3 is doing very strong right now."

Schappert credits this strength to a number of factors, including the new slim model, and more accessible advertising: "Since Sony changed the PS3 form factor, rolled out the Kevin Butler marketing campaign, and launched some great content, the box is on fire," he said. "Now the problem is you haven't been able to find it at retail, it's been out of stock. But I think they'll fix that soon."

At E3, EA announced exclusive PS3 content for both Medal of Honor [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Playstation-3/dp/B00309XHD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278435150&sr=1-1] as part of Sony's press conference [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010/7712-Liveblog-Sony-2010-Press-Conference-E3]. Schappert says that EA was enthusiastic about working with Sony: "It was a great opportunity to work with Sony on genres that they were very interested in promoting for the PlayStation 3," he said. "We were able to make use of the Blu-ray disc with the larger storage space and add additional content on the disc without sacrificing anything from the core game."

Source: IGN [http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1102136p1.html]

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I'm an xbox gamer, but I've got to admit this whole Kinect thing has started to make me wonder what the coming year is going to be like for the xbox, sounds like the slippery slop to shovelware world. Ahh well, I still get to play MOH, Reach and Gears 3 so I can't complain.

Still good for the PS3 that it's starting to get it's own exclusive dlc, bet the fans will be happy.

mr_pants66

Oct 7, 2009
soon (i hope) all this console war ends with the next-gen from sony and microsoft and that can happen if they both do 1 thing put the online game play from both consoles on THE SAME NETWORK like LivePlus or PlusLive or something. but it would end this thing of "exclusives dlc" "timed delay games"

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I could care much less about this since I have a Wii and gaming PC, but if people are getting more content for their buck, than more power to them.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Mass Effect released on the PS3 perhaps? Okay, so that's wishful thinking for the PS3, but it would be nice.

Anyway, here's hoping EA can give some more games to the PS3 hopefully none of them will be terribly gimmicky Move games.

robandall

Jan 25, 2010
With so many cross-platform games I can't really see one platform pulling that far ahead of the of other. If anything'll make the difference it'll be proprietory hardware and software exclusives. Move and Kinect are attempts to get into the Wii controlled casual gaming market but I doubt Sony or Microsoft are going to neglect the core gamers as we're still a massive source of income. I also doubt that developers are going to stop making solid games for real gamers completely in favour of churning out casual sh*te. If anything some developers withh take a long hard look at Nintendo since they've been making stellar, family accessible, games for decades.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Demon ID said:
I'm an xbox gamer, but I've got to admit this whole Kinect thing has started to make me wonder what the coming year is going to be like for the xbox, sounds like the slippery slop to shovelware world. Ahh well, I still get to play MOH, Reach and Gears 3 so I can't complain.

Still good for the PS3 that it's starting to get it's own exclusive dlc, bet the fans will be happy.
We're happy alright. VERY HAPPY!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, looks pretty solid so far, hope they cna deliver as it will be great!

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Darth_Dude said:
Demon ID said:

We're happy alright. VERY HAPPY!
we are HAPPY! EA>Ubi+Acti

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
I love the PS3, but I'm kind of frustrated with how many (looking to be great) games are getting exclusive content on it. If it's a single player game, I don't care, 'cause I have the chance to choose which console I'll play it on, but if it's a multiplayer game, I'm way more likely to get it for the 360, which means I'm gonna miss out on some content. :(

How do you choose between exclusive content and gaming online with friends (most of my friends only have a 360, bastards)...

Why do you even make me choose?!

Still, this year ahead is looking good great for the PS3, unlike the 360. Oh, and I forgot... Playstation Plus looks fackin' awesome!

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Glad to see the companies agree with my own assessment; this year looks like it could be damn good for Sony's little black monolith.