Hardcore Will Adopt Kinect First, Says Microsoft

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hardcore Will Adopt Kinect First, Says Microsoft

Microsoft's Ryan Moore thinks that there will be plenty for hardcore gamers to enjoy with Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278435032&sr=1-1], even if it doesn't seem so right now.

Despite comments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101581-Microsoft-Kinect-Not-For-Core-Gamers] made last week that seemed to suggest that Microsoft didn't envision a future for hardcore games on Kinect, Xbox Worldwide Product Marketing Manager Ryan Moore thinks that it will be the core audience, rather than the casuals, that will be the first to buy the hardware.

To that end, he thinks that we will see a range of more "hardcore friendly" titles that make use of Kinect later in the year. "[W]e know that hardcore gamers will be the first to go out and buy it, as they are with any product. So we know we have to have a wide range of experiences, from things like the animals game you saw ... to games that are more geared towards the core. So I would expect a wide range of products to be released this holiday."

So Kinect seems squarely aimed at the casual market, but it's important to remember that a game doesn't have to just have motion controls to make use of Kinect. Ubisoft's Child of Eden, the spiritual successor to Rez, allows the use of Kinect as well as the standard controller, and there's no reason for that to be a unique set up.

There's no reason why the next Call of Juarez couldn't have Kinect compatible quick-draw sections, and Kinect could make the alchemy in The Elder Scrolls V a lot more involved. Kinect has bags of potential, and personally I hope that the hardcore do buy it so that potential can be realized.

Kinect is due to be released in the US on November 4th.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=253620]

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Because the Hardcore will think its more acceptable to spend $150 on a peripheral than your casual player :p makes sense

But still not gonna interest me. So keep trying Microsoft :D

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Hell yeah, think about all the Hardcore gamers with Beiber Fever!

Also,

Kinect could make the alchemy in The Elder Scrolls V a lot more involved.
Don't even JOKE about such matters! Think about all the jumping I'd have to do to level up? Id' be tired out in 10 minutes!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
...They need to make up there mind, and stop contradicting each other! Thats just bad business sense! I can agree, perhaps first buyers will be the core market as we actually know what it is...and casual people dont...but, that will quickly change as word gets out about it

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
To me, it sounds like they're going to be sticking it into games that don't really require it.

Gamers like buttons. Take them away and we get uncomfortable.

My main beef with Kinect is that the absence of a traditional controller means it'll have major issues with many games, making it an expensive purchase for a handful of titles.

I still have no idea what Microsoft was thinking.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I know I'll be buying it!

UltimatheChosen said:
My main beef with Kinect is that the absence of a traditional controller means it'll have major issues with many games, making it an expensive purchase for a handful of titles.
You have to remember that some games will be using both Kinect, and the tradition controller. Fable 3, for example, is slated to use Kinect for townsfolk interactions and such, but still use the controller for regular gameplay.

It doesn't have to be a controller replacement, so much as a controller enhancement.

Plus I know my wife will love the sports games and stuff, so it's win-win.

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
I have zero faith in a company to reach a target audience that can't even spell "Connect" correctly.

Also, controller Enhancment shit like this is always a bad idea. Didn't we learn anything from the Power Glove and the Wiimote?

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no! This is exactly what I was worried about! I don't want my games to have stupid, tacked on, utterly pointless gimmicks for Kinect in them! I don't want to have alchemy in Elder Scrolls have me use Kinect! If it becomes mandatory then I'll really be pissed, I can only pray that it doesn't come to that.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Ultimately, after that E3 conference and that launch line-up that's been circulating round the internet, I doubt most of "the hardcore" will touch it with a barge pole.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Ganthrinor said:
Also, controller Enhancment shit like this is always a bad idea. Didn't we learn anything from the Power Glove and the Wiimote?
The Power Glove I can understand, but the Wiimote?
The main controller for the console that outsold the crap out of the other two?
The main controller for the console that has Nintendo swimming in money filled pools, and then drying themselves off with more money?
The main controller for the console that introduced gaming to a who massive group of people who otherwise would have never bothered?

That Wiimote?
Just checking.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
Right Microsoft. Right.

In other news, Bad Company 2 releases on the Wii and it looks amazing, Bobby Kotick is demoted to cleaning bathrooms at Activision, and Sony admits that the move is a stupid peripheral.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
They keep saying the same thing over and over and over and over again.

Just show what you are talking about and that way it won't seem dumber the more you say it. I think after their presentations and overall marketing of Kinect everyone should fanthom that it is going the way of mini-games. Just 1 solid game/ enchancement for a hardcore title and people would flock. It isn't that much to ask. E3 was a perfect oppertunity to show of that 1 killer app, MS kinda blew it on this aspect. Hell even Sony showed some more 'hardcore' stuff with that sorcerer game.

As of right now Kinect seems to be about as hardcore as wet paper and nothing MS is doing to promote it is changing that.

OneBig Man

Jul 23, 2008
Ganthrinor said:
I have zero faith in a company to reach a target audience that can't even spell "Connect" correctly.

I think Nintendo made up the word "Wii" and they are doing alright.