Marvel Makes TV Division Headed by Heroes Producer

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Marvel Makes TV Division Headed by Heroes Producer

The man behind Heroes and Batman: The Long Halloween is now in charge of Marvel's TV division.

Marvel Comics has had a large television presence for a while, largely with animated shows produced for a variety of networks. The Disney-owned publisher has formed a new division for television programming and named comics scribe Jeph Loeb Executive Vice President, Head of Television.

Loeb's résumé makes him sound well-suited for this role: The man's been a Hollywood regular for quite some time. He's also authored some incredible comics, including [http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Blue-Premiere-Jeph-Loeb/dp/0785134468/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278434570&sr=8-1].

Marvel has dramatically increased its presence in the entertainment industry over the past few years. Aside from its wildly successful films and various cartoon series, the company has released a series of animated direct-to-DVD movies like [http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Hulk-Blu-ray/dp/B002WNUVJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278434770&sr=1-1]. As a result, it's not surprising that Marvel has set up an internal division to deal with this sort of content.

Usually, news like this is accompanied by an announcement of upcoming programming projects. Neither Marvel nor Loeb hinted at anything like that, but it's probably safe to assume that something's in the works. I'd love to see Loeb greenlight a TV adaptation of [http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-2099-TPB-Graphic-Novels/dp/0785139648/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278434727&sr=1-1], but that's just me. How about you? What would you like to see Marvel put out for the small screen?

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/5574355/heroes-jeph-loeb-is-marvels-new-tv-head-honcho>io9

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Daredevil would make a great TV show I think, he doesn't need a Spider-Man like Budget and having long arcs would only be a better way to express the character and his serious battles with personal morality.

Aug 25, 2009
While I think on this surface this might be good (Long Halloween being one of my favourite Batman comics) I think Loeb has gone a little off the rails.

I can't exactly blame him for it, his son having died of cancer and everything, but I do think that some creators have a real struggle keeping their personal lives out of their work. While I think on the one hand this could be a good thing, on the other hand Ultimatem.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
spectrenihlus said:
Here's hoping they can make a new season of Wolverine and the X-men now.
I would hope so as well, but i doubt it's ever going to be produced. Animated shows usually never come back after being canceled. (unless it was originally aired on Fox).

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Do you know what I'd honestly love to see?

A Great Lakes Avengers cartoon. I think it could be absolutely brilliant.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Ne1butme said:
spectrenihlus said:
I would hope so as well, but i doubt it's ever going to be produced. Animated shows usually never come back after being canceled. (unless it was originally aired on Fox).
It's a lot easier to reboot an animated show then a live action show, I seriously want to see that age of apocalypse in animated form.

Edit: also they promised us Deadpool I DEMAND DEADPOOL!

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Honestly I want a "The Marvel Universe" cartoon, it basically focuses on few characters from the universe an episode. One episode could have Spider-man fighting the hob goblin. Next is Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom. Next could be the Fantastic Four still fighting Doc Doom but now the Four have the help of Doctor Strange.

Something akin to that.

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
I love Jeph Loeb's work, I think he can make this take off. I look forward to future developments.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
spectrenihlus said:
Ne1butme said:
spectrenihlus said:
It's a lot easier to reboot an animated show then a live action show, I seriously want to see that age of apocalypse in animated form.

Deadpool would make a fantastic Adult Swim Style Animated Series...

Especially if you drew from the old Joe Kelly, Ed McGinnis era of Deadpool Comics.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
vansau said:
I'd love to see Loeb greenlight a TV adaptation of Spider-Man 2099, but that's just me. How about you? What would you like to see Marvel put out for the small screen?
Spidey 2099 sounds like a good idea to me.

Or Spider-Girl. A proper Spider-Girl animated series would make me happy.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
PedroSteckecilo said:
spectrenihlus said:
Ne1butme said:
spectrenihlus said:

Deadpool would make a fantastic Adult Swim Style Animated Series...

Especially if you drew from the old Joe Kelly, Ed McGinnis era of Deadpool Comics.
YES YES OH YES!!

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Woot! Minus some, ahem, slip-ups, Loeb is damn good at what he does. This gives me hope going forward.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
A live action XMen/Thunderbolts with a heroes sized budget (or more) would be well fit. Also don't cut shit out, make it post-watershed or whatever

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I saw this on IGN and I will respond in kind.

Excited excited excited! Aaand Loeb...

I mean, I like Heroes, I really do, but there are massive plot holes, missing characters, and bad acting. The reason I liked it was because of Sylar and the setting. And he ruined the Hulk! I mean, really, how do you ruin the Hulk? You turn him cartoony! The writing was child-like and irritating. You're writing for a monster who gets stronger and more violent the angrier he gets, not the bloody Power Pack! I can't even say he's doing a "return to old comic style" thing because Bendis managed to do that with Avengers without fucking anything up!

As for specific shows... Without Craig Kyle and Christ Yost heading this, which I think would be fantastic and them not being there is a stupid mistake, I can pretty much let my hopes of an X-23 series die... Maybe a New X-men series. Introduces some new characters while having the old ones teaching. Surge, Hellion, Dust, Rockslide, X23, and Elixer, I'd be happy with that. Or if they really want to be risky, bring in Anole and piss off the Westborough baptist church. Or the Runaways or Young Avengers for that matter. But I really wanna see X-23 in the glory they didn't show with the pre-developed X-23 in Evolutions and the child they had in Wolverine and the X-men.

Pretty much any of the new teen teams out there. Young Avengers in particular is incredibly popular and Runaways has a lot of material you can use. I just think this is a good opportunity to get new heroes out there. I mean, Moon Knight will never have a cartoon because without being murderous and insane he's just Batman, but someone like Iron Fist would be fantastic.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
I think a version of "The Runaways" would be great fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaways_(comics)

It's not one of the overused properties and could be easily mashed up into the "Metaplot-standalone episode-metaplot" formula that seems to be working very well right now for Cable shows. There is also a spin off called "the Loners" that could be adapted into a kinda funny parody/action thing a-la Kick-Ass. It's basically a group of former teen heroes trying to get over their past. . . then getting sucked back in anyway because that is what happens to people with super powers.

I really do not think we need to be flooded by even more of the golden age heroes, especially with them kicking up the whole Avengers push. I would say that Deadpool might be a fun choice, but a true hard boiled show about a bad ass assassin antihero would be relegated to HBO or Showtime. Not the worst idea, but since I'm poor I'd be a very sad panda.

Edit: Just noticed I got ninja'd by the guy above me on Runaways. Pffft.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, hopefully can make something poromising...as long as it osnt become aas convoluted as Heroes did near the end, I think its a totally good thing!

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
MelasZepheos said:
While I think on this surface this might be good (Long Halloween being one of my favourite Batman comics) I think Loeb has gone a little off the rails.

I can't exactly blame him for it, his son having died of cancer and everything, but I do think that some creators have a real struggle keeping their personal lives out of their work. While I think on the one hand this could be a good thing, on the other hand Ultimatem.
I agree, but maybe a big project like this is exactly what he needs.

Feb 13, 2008
Marvel have made some great decisions in their past, but have a habit of ruining some of their main characters by not sticking to what MADE them their main characters.

The Spidey movies were good, but Tobey Macquire wasn't wise-cracking enough. That's a staple of Spidey.
Wolverine was good but just not the Canuckle-head.

Superheroes are always really hit and miss and the main fault is that people try to treat them like superheroes, not like a regular guy who happens to be a superhero.

You have to remove some logic from the movies and replace it with hero logic, but you also have to show the man behind the mask. The Batman Animated Series knew this, and some of the earlier Superman films; but Superman Returns, Batman and Robin, Spiderman 3 all show what happens when you forget to tell a good story as well.

JediMB said:
Or Spider-Girl. A proper Spider-Girl animated series would make me happy.
Yeah, but it could so easily turn into Supergirl. And that would be bad.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
I want to see a more mature Batman cartoon. I was watching Batman: The Bold and the Brave with my brother a few days ago, and its absolutely horrible. It made me weep for the original animated series, even Batman Beyond is better than the crap on now.