Cash for Developers

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Cash for Developers

New North Carolina company Joystick Labs bridges the gap between concept and incorporation for independent developers.

Read Full Article

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
What is with North Carolina and game devs? My state is turning into the hollywood of video games.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
soapyshooter said:
What is with North Carolina and game devs? My state is turning into the hollywood of video games.
It does seem to be the place, wirth all the tech around too, not too surprising

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Stephen Colbert is from South Carolina. South Carolina is the Mexico of North Carolina. Or maybe North Carolina is the Canada of South Carolina. Whatever it is, we hate each other.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
soapyshooter said:
I know, it's weird. Why is our state so special?

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Steve Butts said:
Stephen Colbert is from South Carolina. South Carolina is the Mexico of North Carolina. Or maybe North Carolina is the Canada of South Carolina. Whatever it is, we hate each other.
Either way, North Carolina's better. OH SNAP!

Well, this is nice. I mean... not much else to say. It's nice that the little guys are getting some help.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Steve Butts said:
That means focusing on mobile platforms like the iPad, iPhone or Android, or on more casual environments like Facebook or Xbox Live Arcade.
XBLA is "more casual" than the iPhone?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Steve Butts said:
He's reassured by the encouraging rates of growth for "cheaper, smaller, more social and more casual" games, particularly those of Zynga on Facebook. "We're a bit more focused on those," he says, "because that's where we see the biggest growth opportunities as well as a development scope that is in line with what you can do with a small team in a matter of months."
If I was developing a *proper* PC game, that is not encouraging. And before you ask, some indie developers do make [http://www.crypticcomet.com/] proper PC games [http://arcengames.com/aiwar_features.php].

CKalvin

Sep 21, 2009
I hope this ends up with a huge Indie Pack similar to the one that was released a while with Aquaria and World of Goo.

That + some smart marketing could go a long way =)

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
While it certainly is an awesome idea, I'm also going to play devil's advocate in this, and say just one thing: it sounds like a scam to me. Yes, we'll set you up, and then we'll always be a part of your company until one of us goes defunct. It's a totally fair deal!

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.