Capcom: New Consoles Coming in Two Years Time

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Capcom: New Consoles Coming in Two Years Time

Capcom's David Reeves thinks that 2012 will be an interesting year. Not apocalyptic per se, more console-tastic.

Capcom COO David Reeves believes that Microsoft and Sony will release new consoles within "two to three years". Reeves, who was CEO of SCE Europe until April last year, said that Kinect and Move were a shot in the arm for their respective consoles, but that new hardware was much closer than either platform holder was letting on.

"Capcom is definitely going to embrace [motion controls] and just as the first-parties are doing, we see it as another blip before we come into the next cycle," Reeves said. "3D gaming is the same. Anything they can add to revive and pique interest in the games until we have another clash of the titans in two years time."

Reeves insisted that his time at Sony hadn't given him any inside knowledge, but believes that all the console makers are planning for new technology. "All the first-parties have got to be working on something," he said. "You can be waiting a few extra months to implement something, but you've got to set a date to go with a certain chip at a certain point otherwise you're going to miss the key milestones."

While he may regard Kinect and Move as a stop-gap, Reeves also thinks that embracing a wider demographic will pay dividends in the future: "If you look at the industry over the past five years and ask yourself where has the money been made, it's been made on Wii Fit, Brain Training, SingStar, even Guitar Hero ... Publishers don't want to give up their core values but they need to reach out to this wider market."

New consoles in 2012 aren't outside the realms of possibility. A 6-7 year gap between hardware releases has been fairly typical over the last few generations, but Microsoft and Sony both seem to be taking a much longer view with this generation. Creating new consoles is an expensive business, and I'm not so sure that either company is particularly eager to jump into the fray again.

Source: Games Industry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/capcom-new-tech-is-a-stop-gap-to-next-gen-consoles]

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Spoiler alert: He's talking out of his ass. Even if he's right, he has no basis for that statement.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
Yeah I don't think so. There's always the possibility he's right, but I don't think he knows what he's talking about.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I kinda hope for a new genration soon my xbox RRoD on me and I've been playing old pc games. Though I can see why some people say its too soon.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I think that we might see slightly upgraded versions of the current consoles (bundled peripherals, HD/3D upgrades, etc.), but not full, new consoles yet.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I am inclined not to believe you CAPCOM. Learn to embrace the fact you are Japanese instead of wishing you were western. You are the opposite of Weeaboo's here.

Also, I hope not. Maybe a new Wii, but PS3 and 360 are fine. No need to fix what ain't broke.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Pure BS, I don't believe a word of it. My opinion if it were true though?

"Nooooo, not yet! It's too soon for me to fork over $500 for a new console!"

Sir Moomin

Apr 16, 2010
The problem is each company does not want to be first console out they each want to wait and see whats happening on the other team before they set down which chip/graphics they use. the consoles are like 5 old now and pc graphics are surpassing by far i think they need the update.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
While he may regard Kinect and Move as a stop-gap, Reeves also thinks that embracing a wider demographic will pay dividends in the future: "If you look at the industry over the past five years and ask yourself where has the money been made, it's been made on Wii Fit, Brain Training, SingStar, even Guitar Hero ... Publishers don't want to give up their core values but they need to reach out to this wider market."
Actually, if publishers could dump the hardcore market, they probably would.
We're much harder to please, and less profitable (due to being less numerous, among other things) than the casual market.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Bull. Fucking. Shit. That is the biggest piece of steaming shit lie I've ever heard. If anything, we're going to be seeing new hardware iterations of the consoles, but until then, Nintendo, MS, and Sony are just plugging 3D and motion controls and shit to their consoles, so I imagine all of that probably costs a lot for them. They aren't ready to make a new console, especially if they sell them at a loss.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It does seem alot of things are going down for consoles...it is to wait to be seen if it will be a positive for them or not

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Microsoft and Sony have both mentioned that they're not interested in pushing out a new console anytime soon. Hell, Sony has a 10 year plan for theirs. And I dunno about Microsoft, but after finally working out the majority of hardware failure issues, it would seem that the best strategy would be to stick with the 360 for now.

Not to mention that neither console has come even close to meeting the potential of their hardware, or rather, I should say that no developer has come close to doing so with each console. Hell, we've even recently seen PS2 games capable of pushing out graphics better than what they could when the PS3 launched. It takes a while, and I see so much more room to grow for both consoles at the moment.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I dunno, if Kinect bombs I wouldn't be at all surprised if Microsoft turned around and released a new Xbox with significantly more power than the current 360 and PS3 and using HD-DVDs (licensed for cheap off Toshiba). I'm fairly sure Nintendo's gearing up for a home console reveal, probably at E3 2012, and I never believed Sony's "10 year" guff from the start.

While Capcom's just speculating, my speculations would largely agree with them.