Rumor: Johnny Depp Starring in Doctor Who Movie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Johnny Depp Starring in Doctor Who Movie

The TARDIS might be playing host to a very different Captain Jack if rumors of a Doctor Who movie are true.

Rumors are circulating that Johnny Depp has been cast as the Doctor in a big screen adaptation of the long running British series, Doctor Who. Russell T. Davies, the former lead writer for the show, is supposedly penning the movie version.

"Bringing the Who franchise to the theaters is a regeneration for the character beyond the usual one. A theatrical release has a greater range and can reach millions of more people than just the fans," said Davies.

"There will be brand new concepts and the film will be just as adventurous, scary and humorous as the television programme. But none of us working the film will forget what makes the character great and interesting and the long-time fans will not be disappointed because yes, the Daleks make an appearance."

A brief plot synopsis suggests that the Doctor, along with a small team of "volunteers," will travel through time and space healing the sick of diseases brought by invading aliens. During the course of the movie, the Doctor cures the bubonic plague, and then heads to Africa to work on Ebola.

So, how likely is all this? Well, on the one hand, the rumor seems to have started on a site called PubArticles [http://www.pubarticles.com/], which is a kind of YouTube for articles, and the quote from Davies and plot details are taken from the piece that appeared on the site. Given the complete lack of any oversight, it's entirely possible - and probably very likely - that this is a complete fabrication. On the other hand, according to sci-fi site TOR [http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/06/johnny-depp-starring-in-big-screen-doctor-who-adaptation], "movie studio sources" confirmed both the existence of the movie, and Depp's involvement.

Assuming for a moment that it is true - and I'll be honest, I'm less than convinced - I can think of worse choices than Johnny Depp to play the Doctor. He's a great actor and is a big enough name to get people who might ordinarily not engage with the regular TV show to pay attention. Of course, the movie would be something separate and distinct from the show, so how much crossover there might be is debatable.

Source: TOR [http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/06/johnny-depp-starring-in-big-screen-doctor-who-adaptation] via io9 [http://io9.com/5575898/johnny-depp-playing-the-doctor-in-a-big+screen-doctor-who-movie]

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
MrPop said:
O__________O

That was very unexpected. A Dr Who film.
Let us hope it won't be a disaster like the last one. I think Depp is a good choice, he's a very versatile actor.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Interesting....
I was hoping for Tennant though

SL33TBL1ND said:
MrPop said:
O__________O

That was very unexpected. A Dr Who film.
Let us hope it won't be a disaster like the last one. I think Depp is a good choice, he's a very versatile actor.
What was wrong with the last movie?

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Ugh.

Johnny Depp would make a great Doctor, but this news stirrs something awful and horrid inside of me which I thought I wouldn't see again. This will shatter the canon of the show and that makes me want to strangle every child in a mile radius of me because its their fault somehow. I really don't see how this could be cannonical.

Not to mention that the big bad is gonna be the Daleks, again.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
I've never really gotten the point of making movies based on TV shows. They already exist as a perfectly competent form of media, why just make - what is basically - a longer TV show episode, and one that is widely released? I'd much prefer if they'd get some new, interesting ideas out.

People can see Doctor Who on TV either way, and they love it. Making more movies isn't half as exciting as the prospect of a new, exciting movie project, but noooooooooooooo.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
This better be False... why the mention of Captain Jack... oh... not... ah...
Still, better be a fabrication >.>
Why can't they use Matt Smith? He's a damn fine Doctor >.>
Oh, and Rory Williams~ (Played by Arthur Darvill)... damn, he looks... nice...
I just hope this opportunity isn't butchered >.>

Aeryn Seoung

Aug 21, 2009
If I'm not mistaken there was a Doctor Who film in the past.. But my memory sucks at remembering things.

I sincerely hope this is not true. I do like Johnny Depp, but I honestly think he'd ruin it. Why not cast the current star, Matt Smith?

Other then that, it better be a British film.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I hope to god this works out. I couldn't bear another catastrophe. In fact, I want Matt Smith as the Doctor! Keep him on! I don't want Mr "I got a Jar of Dirt!" over "Bow Ties are Cool!"

Calumon: That's all I know him from! ^^

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Look, I think Depp is great and all, and I'd peg him to take on any role and play it fantastically. A man with enough range to be Edward Scissorhands, Captain Jack Sparrow, and the Mad Barber of Fleet Street is a force to be reckoned with.

But I just can't see him playing the Doctor.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Aeryn Seoung said:
If I'm not mistaken there was a Doctor Who film in the past..
There were quite a few event, but most were just longuer episodes basically, except the 8th doctor's movie (his only appearance besides the audio books)(yes, the 8th doctor was great, despite the script).

gmacarthur81

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>
Nov 13, 2009
And who would be directing this movie is Depp as the star?

........ TB perhaps?

o.o

ethan22122

Dec 18, 2009
I think that david tennant would be good for the movie, It would rock if tom baker made an appearence in it somehow :D

Aeryn Seoung

Aug 21, 2009
wildpeaks said:
(yes, the 8th doctor was great, despite the script).
Paul McGann, really? I can't say I was all too keen on him. I was a Tom Baker girl myself. Fourth Doctor gooooo.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
I hope to god this works out. I couldn't bear another catastrophe. In fact, I want Matt Smith as the Doctor! Keep him on! No-one wants Mr "I got a Jar of Dirt!"

Calumon: That's all I know him from! ^^

Don't be too worried...Depp's good enough to be a convincing...well, anything, really.

Even in his worst movies, his acting is always top notch.

And, as Logan said, this is far from confirmed.