DC Reboots Wonder Woman for 600th Issue

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
DC Reboots Wonder Woman for 600th Issue

One of DC Comic's most iconic characters is getting a new look and a new back story.

Wonder Woman hasn't changed all that much since her debut in 1941, so in an effort to revitalize the character - and to attract new readers - Babylon 5 [http://www.amazon.com/Babylon-5-Complete-Seasons-1-5/dp/B002DUJ9Q6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278433769&sr=1-3] creator J. Michael Straczynski is giving the character a more grounded backstory and modern look.

Wonder Woman's new origin, which starts with issue #600, is the result of interference in her timeline by unknown parties. Instead of being raised as a princess on the magical island of Themyiscara, Diana was raised in New York City by survivors of an attack that ravaged the Amazonian homeland. Straczynski hopes that these changes will make the title more accessible and help reverse the falling sales figure.

"Wonder Woman is a terrific character, strong and bright and compelling, and she should be selling in the top twenty on a regular basis. But for the last few years, despite some really good storytelling, she's selling in the low 70s," Straczynski said.

"This is one of the surest signs that the stories, as good as they are, have become too insular ... This isn't a reflection on the character, the writers or the fans ... It's a perception issue, and as a friend of mine once pointed out, sometimes the only way to see clearly through a stained glass window is to punch a hole in it," he added.

Straczynski said that unlike other characters in the DC canon, Wonder Woman has undergone very few changes in her 69 year publication history: "It's long overdue. Her look, her dynamic and the sorts of stories being told have ossified over the years ... The resultant question being, if you were to design Wonder Woman right now, as though she had never existed before, what would she be like? So there's the timeliness issue."

The changes to Wonder Woman are so significant, Straczynski is conscious that fans may balk at them, and asked that they give it a chance: "I know it's a bit of a jump, but in the long haul, I think you'll approve. And to those who're thinking about checking the book out ... you're jumping in at the right moment, to a whole new chapter. You don't have to know enough about Greek Mythology to pass a test, and the slate is clean. Jump in and join the fun."

Wonder Woman #600 goes on sale today.

Source: Newsarama [http://www.newsarama.com/comics/jms-talks-wonder-woman-100629.html]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That old? wow, I never even realised! Well, the new look is certainly very intresting, and, very fresh!

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I feel that her new outfit is much cooler then the classic one.It looks like something someone would actually wear.It they were maybe a bit loony,but just a bit loony.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
looks alright- Im kinda glad that the company has admitted the original design was showing its age and changed it, it could give this character a new lease of life, and give up and coming writers some more room for creativity.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
RanD00M said:
I feel that her new outfit is much cooler then the classic one.It looks like something someone would actually wear.It they were maybe a bit loony,but just a bit loony.
I agree on that count.

To me, Wonder Woman has always felt out of place in the DC universe. Hopefully, this redesign will let them fix that.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Wow, um...I like the new outfit, but I'm always really hesitant to see such an old character get such a drastic change. Maybe I'll love it down the road, but for right now...I'm going to remain somewhat skeptical.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
Well you can't blame them for trying to change things up after so long and unsuccessful books. The new look is pretty good to me but I want to know what Tim Gunn has to say about it.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
HG131 said:
rosac said:
looks alright- Im kinda glad that the company has admitted the original design was showing its age and changed it, it could give this character a new lease of life, and give up and coming writers some more room for creativity.
Agreed. Besides, people messing with the timeline is always interesting.
Worked for Star Trek am I right? So many people that hated star trek now are eagerly waiting for the sequel.

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
Part of me likes it, but then again, if they pulled this with Superman or Batman, I'd be a bit disgusted and would only bear it for a few weeks. But as a reboot it's ok, I find it a bit generic though, nothing really screams Wonder Woman too me outside the bare essentials, and I can't really see it next to Superman and Batman, she'll look out of place in the Superhero trinity.

Though I could see this work in tandem with the classic costume, since the old one is iconic enough that other stories will still have it, while this new one can be used in the main storyline.

>_> I doubt this will help sell much more comics outside the first few releases though. And we'll likely see a full return to the old costume more than anything.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
If anybody can breathe new life into a tried and true if somewhat flagging character like Wonder Woman, it's JMS.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
... Lookin pretty goth there, wonder woman.

Actually looks just like that terrible and horribly boring "witch" character that got added to spawn so the series wouldn't be a complete sausage fest.

It is kinda cool they finally realize theres not much point in showing skin if everything they wear is skin tight.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Isn't Wonder Woman supposed to look all gladiatrix-like?

That outfit looks a little to snazzy for an ancient goddess.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
I prefer this new outfit to be honest, it's a little x-men (maybe), but lets be honest here, WW classic outfit is totally rediculous; pants, high heels and a metal bra.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
BlueInkAlchemist said:
If anybody can breathe new life into a tried and true if somewhat flagging character like Wonder Woman, it's JMS.
On the other hand, no-one likes what he's done with Spider Man, and some of it wasn't even Joe Quesada's fault.

Anyway, I think Wonder Woman is a lost cause as a character, because no-one gives a damn about the person in the suit, and you can't really make that happen overnight by giving her the same much retrod origin story as Superman, Martian Manhunter, and all the rest of the last members of a lost civilization.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I actually like the new look, leather makes awesome armour, and still looks attractive. I never really enjoyed female heroes that dress in short skirts/etc, it just doesn't make sense to me, makes it hard to take them seriously, so this could make me die a couple of issues... mmm don't think I've brought a Wonder Woman that wasn't a batman cross over before.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Didn't she try [http://www.comicvine.com/wonder-woman/29-2048/all-images/108-217010/58457-wonder-woman/105-385735/] the leather jacket before?

But joking aside, this is a good thing, now if only they can help Donna Troy with her idenity...

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
But is she still powerless if tied up by a man? That's a really important weakness for Wonder Woman, it allows her to be strapped to all kinds of phallic objects like missiles hurtling towards cities, at the complete mercy of the evil man that put her there.