Rumor: New Tomb Raider Coming Christmas 2011

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: New Tomb Raider Coming Christmas 2011

Sources suggest that a new Tomb Raider game is in the works.

A source close to developer Crystal Dynamics has revealed that a new Tomb Raider game is scheduled for release on the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360, during holiday period of 2011.

The source said that leaked documents [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93096-Tomb-Raider-Reboot-in-the-Works] from last July, which suggested that the next Tomb Raider game would be more of a reboot rather than a sequel, were related to the upcoming game. These documents also claimed that the new game would be open world, rather than the more linear experience of past titles.

The source said that Crystal Dynamics were entirely focused on the Tomb Raider series, with a small team working on downloadable title Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, due out later this year, and the remainder working on next main Tomb Raider installment. With Guardian of Light now apparently finished, the whole studio is working on the next game.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/new-tomb-raider-due-xmas-2011]

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Hope they don't overdo the whole 'open world' thing. Wouldn't want to see another game like the cel-shaded prince of persia.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
Seems to me they're taking the WRONG approach to Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider Legend was excellent, with fun platforming and pretty good dialogue. Underworld was a bit too bleak for me, and the funny radio conversations were completely gone. But open world? Does everything have to be open world? All that's going to mean is that it'll take longer to reach the good bits of the game.

"Sure, you can raid that tomb. You just need to drive across this wasteland for 10 minutes to reach it."

Seriously, what is so bad about linearity? Too much of it sucks, (FF XIII) but some of the best games of this generation have been linear, such as Uncharted 2 and Super Mario Galaxy.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I so fucking want this!
Dr. wonderful said:
...I don't know about you guys, but Tomb raider: legends wasn't a bad game.
That game kicked ass. I don't know why it sometimes gets a bad rap.

Although, even though I loved Angel of Darkness, it is perfectly acceptable to beat on that game. Legend, there is no excuse to diss it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Later this year?

I was under the impression that Guardian was out late July/early August?

That's about a month.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, been a while since I have had a good go at Tomb Raider...lets hope its a good one...I wish they would go back to how the stories used to be ,in first couple games

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
well this is exciting news! ive been really into tomb raider ever since the release of legend, so much so that anniversary is on my list of favorite games of all time. but open world? im not so sure about that. the great thing about the new tomb raiders is the puzzling and platforming. that open world would just make we wait longer to see the puzzles and platforms. well ill withhold judgement till we see it.

exciting news though!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
WHY are they re-writing Lara's back story?

They already ret-conned around half of it when Legends was released, why do they need to do it again?

If you want to fix it, make it control like a modern game to start with - for some reason Lara's still bastard-awkward to move around. Then overhaul the shooting, and then remove half of the shooting sequences.

Get a better writer on for the stories too, don't bother with the comic-relief side characters (the tech guy is just annoying) and make Lara more emotionally involved. I mean, in Underworld she had to

see her dead mother, then shoot her in the face.

and in about 5 minutes she'd resolved that issue in her mind. Speaking of Underworld, don't do vehicle sections unless you can do them properly.

Also: more boob physics.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Later this year?

That's about a month.
Well... late July/early August is later this year, isn't it?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Woodsey said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Later this year?

That's about a month.
Well... late July/early August is later this year, isn't it?
I was just checking to see if he meant it was pushed back or not. I'm rather excited for it.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Macgyvercas said:
I so fucking want this!
Dr. wonderful said:
...I don't know about you guys, but Tomb raider: legends wasn't a bad game.
That game kicked ass. I don't know why it sometimes gets a bad rap.

Although, even though I loved Angel of Darkness, it is perfectly acceptable to beat on that game. Legend, there is no excuse to diss it.
Sure there is.

EXCITING CUTSCENE IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME!

*picture appears with Lara doing... something hard to tell what*
*dead*
Wait, what? Oh, I was supposed to click a button...

*4 tries and game overs later*

Screw that. Uninstall.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Other than Lara Croft being an obvious sex symbol. Wasn't the purpose of Tomb Raider the focus of extremely difficult puzzle solving inside cryptic tombs? As long as it has that (and a few good body shots) i'll enjoy the game to the fullest. Maybe some multiplayer like Uncharted 2?

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
*sigh* Just let the ***** die, guys. She's dead enough as it is. Although I will be surprised if Guardian of Light is good.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Don't worry Lara, I still love you, and will wait patiently for this and the guardian of light. Tomb Raider 1 still remains my favourite game of all time, why? Because it was damn fun!