Frontier: Kinectimals Doesn't Share Tech With Milo

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Frontier: Kinectimals Doesn't Share Tech With Milo

What's the difference between a virtual boy and a virtual tiger? A heck of a lot, according to Kinectimals dev Frontier Developments.

Despite certain similarities, Frontier Developments chairman David Braben wants to make it clear that Kinectimals [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78109] wasn't inspired by Lionhead's Milo, nor do the two share any technology. Braben is responding to comments made by the Phil Spencer, VP of Microsoft Game Studios, who suggested that Peter Molyneux had seeded some of the ideas from Milo to other developers in his role as European creative director.

"I'd like to address some stories that are currently circulating, that Kinectimals from Frontier is somehow related to Milo and Kate from Lionhead," said Braben. "Kinectimals has been in development since before we saw Milo. It is built using Frontier's own technology shared with other Frontier games in development, and ideas evolved from earlier games like Dog's Life. There has not been any involvement in the technology or design by Lionhead. Milo and Kate is a completely separate (and intriguing) development from Lionhead."

There seems to have been a lot of crossed wires at Microsoft over the last few weeks about what is actually happening with Milo. Aside from Spencer's comments, Aaron Greenberg told Australian television at E3 that Milo was never going to be released [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101744-Microsoft-Milo-Just-a-Tech-Demo-UPDATED]; a statement he later clarified by saying that it wasn't going to be released this year, but was still in development.

Kinectimals is due to be released at the same time as the Kinect itself in November, and Milo and Kate is due to be released at some unspecified point in the future.

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=20807]

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Bullshit.

It uses the same technology in which they go to the lowest pits of the uncanny valley to find amazingly creepy creatures, like they did with Milo.

Everytime I blink I see that tiger, and it trys to steal my soul.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
'How is the technology different?'

'.. It has Tigers in it.'

That's honestly all I saw reading that...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Looks like a dog...barks like a dog...yeah, I think you get the picture

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
The DSM said:
Bullshit.

It uses the same technology in which they go to the lowest pits of the uncanny valley to find amazingly creepy creatures, like they did with Milo.

Every time I blink I see that tiger, and it tries to steal my soul.
Skittles is coming for you!!! Muhahaahahah!!!

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
The tiger is cute. Seriously, I want to try it out, especially when that little asian girl played with it in a very fake enthusiastic manner.
I agree on the cute-ness of the tiger... but i wont buy that, not even for my child... i dont see the point of caressing an animal... who is not there... i will buy a tiger plush instand

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I remember something about tigers going (nearly) extinct in the real world. I wonder if abominations such as this will be all that will soon remain of their existance.

But seriously...that tiger is so cute it's creepy (read - too cute...it's like the extra big-eyed anime girls, I can't stand to look at them, not because they'd be too cute but because...well...they look inhuman!)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
That's good to know. Personally, I'd rather not think about some creepy old guy interacting with Milo the same way the Kinect demo little girl interacted with Skittles. *shudder*

Gerrawn

Apr 2, 2009
Alright, I've got to know this; can you punch the tiger? Seriously, that's the only thing I want to do when I see it. I don't know why, but I just want to just punch it. It feels like a reflex of sorts. Natural instincts if you will.