Stolen Pixels #208: Nine Bullets

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #208: Nine Bullets

Zombie hunters have really had budget problems in today's economy.

Read Full Article

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Steering wheel? I'm impressed, she's a wom-

I kid, I kid. This comes at an excellent time as i just brought resi evil 5 yesterday. XD

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I agree with the Sheva point...if she was being controlled by an AI, the things she would do at times was so dumb...Wasted so many bullets!

Bloodeye

Aug 25, 2009
I tried to look on the bright side with sheva. I thought she made a good pack mule.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
My favorite A.I. moment in Resident Evil 5 was when she wouldn't automatically use a turret during gratuitous-boss-in-ocean. I had commanded her onto one at the start of the fight, but had been too busy dodging tentacles and shooting things to notice. It wasn't until she said "reloading!" that I noticed her pistol was almost out of ammunition. I can't remember if she had already wasted her rifle ammo or shotgun ammo or if that was next in line, but I screamed in a rage at the realization that I had to keep on telling her to take control of a turret.

There are just some moments where you'd think the testers would have walked up to the A.I. programmers or lead designers or whatnot, and say "Um, yeah, it would be nice if Sheva would have some kind of protocol in this fight that said 'use the god damn mother fucking turret you stupid whore'". I mean, really, aren't testers getting paid to find stuff like that in addition to glitches and bugs?

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
All they need to do is give you average/ good guns at the beginning, and then have an excuse for losing it all. Problem solved.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I recently did the game solo on Normal, and found it best to give her two guns:

Shotguns and Snipers. The Snipers are one hit kills on normal, usually, even if not a headshot.

And a shotgun...is a shotgun.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I stopped playing because of her. The game is built from the ground up to be co-op, and it shows badly when you try to play alone (because you have to because there is no Live in your country). I had the same feeling playing Twilight Princess for the 'Cube, the game was so very obviously built with the Wiimote in mind that I felt I was playing an emulated version.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
SL33TBL1ND said:
That's why you play co-op, shot to the leg and a foot in the face.
And thus the game garners even more resentment from people who prefer to play alone.

It seems the lackluster AI is one to force people to buddy up, but if I wanted to work on social skills I wouldn't be sitting on a couch playing video games.

Jordo141

Jan 14, 2009
Yeah, she was great for carrying all that useless crap.

I never could get past the damn crocodiles though... I tried to use her as bait, but no dice

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
On the plus side, Sheva never fails a quick-time event. This comes in very handy in certain boss fights.

She also is pretty good about healing you ASAP, although sometimes I'd rather get out of melee range before being healed, thank you very much.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
forced co-op sucks, I can't think of a single game that gives you a required companion that pulls it off

however optional co-op rules rules going all the way back to arcade shmups, perfect dark and into more modern gaming like halo 1 (never played 2 or 3)