New Spider-Man Announced for Movie Reboot

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Spider-Man Announced for Movie Reboot

Columbia Pictures makes its choice for a new friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

The Spider-Man reboot was announced earlier this year after problems with the script got Spider-Man 4 cancelled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97458-Spider-Man-4-Canceled-Reboot-Set-for-2012]. But a new movie meant a new hero, and speculation over who would play the titular web-slinger threw up all kinds of names, including some that you might never have considered, like Community actor Donald Glover [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101250-Stan-Lee-on-Black-Spider-Man]. But Columbia Pictures put the speculation to rest today, by announcing British actor Andrew Garfield [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1940449/] as the new Spider-Man.

Garfield has appeared in Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, as well as a couple of episodes of Doctor Who. Director Marc Webb acknowledged that Garfield was a very new face, but said that there was nothing to worry about: "Though his name may be new to many, those who know this young actor's work understand his extraordinary talents," he said. "Mark my words, you will love Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker."

Producer Avi Arad concurred with Webb, saying that Garfield was the perfect for the role."I'm incredibly excited about Andrew Garfield. In the Spider-Man tradition, we were looking for a smart, sensitive, and cool new Peter Parker who can inspire us and make us laugh, cry, and cheer. We believe we have found the perfect choice to take on this role and lead us into the future."

The casting of a relative unknown is heartening, as it suggests that acting ability was valued more highly than star power. We won't get to see how Garfield does until 2012, but it's going to be interesting to find out.

Source: Film Junk [http://www.filmjunk.com/2010/07/01/andrew-garfield-is-the-new-spider-man/]

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
So... a reboot would mean they're going to tie this one into the current movie universe like the other Marvel movies, right? Right?

Because that would be awesome.

Still, topping the first two Spider-Man movies is going to be tough. I'd love to see it happen, but I don't think it will.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
When Marc Webb said "Mark my words" I found that a little scary. I'm imagining him in a cave-like lair laughing demonically at his new creation.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Curse you, Westbrook! You made a better article than I did! Grrrr

*shakes fist*

He looks like he could play the part well, but I have no idea, as I've not seen him in anything (although he's been in Dr Who so I may have).

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:
I'm going to miss good old Tobey, but I'll give this guy a chance.
Every time you think about Tobey, think about his dance in Spider-Man 3. And then shudder, don't worry, we all shudder at that mental image that was imprinted in everyone who watched the movie.

Logan Westbrook said:
AboveUp said:
Still, topping the first two Spider-Man movies is going to be tough.
Yeah, but topping the third one really, really won't.
Oh come on, it wasn't that...

*emo Peter Parker flashback*

Hanogar

Feb 10, 2010
so they f... up the 3 movie and now they make the first movie again? yeah thats "new" *sigh*

anyway i hope for a "little" tie in the marvel-movie-verse a short cameo in one of the next big mavel filmes? perhaps a crook running in a web screaming "on no its spider..." BAM ironman beats the bad guy or thor ... you know what i mean. or perhaps after the credits spidy knocking on the door of avenger mansion?

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
MrPop said:
When Marc Webb said "Mark my words" I found that a little scary. I'm imagining him in a cave-like lair laughing demonically at his new creation.
I have a good feeling about any director willing to laugh demonically about their latest project. It shows enthusiasm.

That said, a reboot? they're going to tell his origin story again?
Why would they do that? he has an established film continuity. They were (mostly) good films, there's no need to reboot them. It's not like he's out of villains and they have to rehash the Green Goblin or something.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I loved him in Parnassus and I really hope the movie's script and story turns out to be solid enough to let him shine here.

I honestly couldn't stand Tobey anymore. I know that the character might've been that kind of a person and hence he had to play it as such but really...he just came across as a bored-out-of-his-skull teen-tard to me whenever he showed off his half-closed eyes look.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
This just made me cry out "awwww... do we have to?" in that little singsong voice we all used at least once when we were children. I don't have anything against Andrew Garfield (in fact, I'd even go so far as to admit that he's pretty cute), but enough is enough. They gave us 3 Spider-Man movies not so long ago, and there are so many other super heroes that they could choose from...

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I think i was the first one to annonce it ;)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.206337-Poll-Spider-Man-movie-reboot#6990787

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Reboot? They havnt even gone that far into it...

Well, I suppose have to wait and see whats brought out

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
So it now only takes a few years for a movie to require a reboot? I seriously hope this doesn't become a trend, there's been very few interesting things released at the flicks recently.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I didn't think the first three Spidey movies were that bad. Sam Raimi's directing was great and Toby MacGuire did great in the role of Peter Parker. The problem is that the movies got progressively worse writing to the point Raimi and MacGuire couldn't salvage the train wreck that was the majority of Spider-Man 3.