inFamous Developer: You Can't Do That on a 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
inFamous Developer: You Can't Do That on a 360

inFamous [http://www.amazon.com/Infamous-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK7ZOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278346075&sr=1-1] developer Sucker Punch Productions says it was a rough ride figuring out the PlayStation 3 architecture but the payoff was worth it because the Xbox 360 just doesn't have the power to handle such complex games.

inFamous, an open-world sandbox game in which the hero finds himself gifted with unique powers following a devastating explosion in Empire City, was well-received following its launch in May 2009. The development process was a bumpy one at times, according to Sucker Punch [http://www.suckerpunch.com/] Development Director Chris Zimmerman, but he said the lessons learned by the studio through its struggles with the PS3 will most definitely be reflected in the sequel.

"We made some really dumb decisions in [inFamous], but we've managed to fix them," he said in an interview with Play Magazine [http://www.play-mag.co.uk/latest-playstation-news/sucker-punch-we-made-dumb-decisions-with-infamous/]. "We had to tear a whole bunch of stuff up and put it back together. In technical terms the biggest thing that we've done is migrate a much larger part of our code to run on the SPUs. The PS3 has this elaborate architecture where there's a whole bunch of different places you can have your code run and we had it all running in the slow part."

The payoff for slogging through the PS3 learning curve, Zimmerman added, is that it can handle games other platforms can't. "If you look at games like inFamous 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-2-Among-Thieves-Playstation-3/dp/B001JKTC9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278346251&sr=1-1] is going to be the same way. You'll look at it and see that there's no way we could have done this game on 360."

inFamous 2 is currently targeted for release sometime in 2011.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Because graphics equal substance, right?

Come on devs, stop thinking graphics mean shit, people practically blew drug dealers to get Modern Warfare 2 and it looked like a game from 2005.
Not that I'm saying I liked MW2 personally, but it certainly didn't sell on graphics.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
I can't wait. InFamous, while decent wasn't as good as I hoped. This however looks like GotY stuff.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Don't they say the same things with Halo etc. i just seems like they feeding the fanboy, however i will still buy the game cos i liked the first.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
I officially call bullshit.

I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty damn sure that the Xbox and the PS3 can both handle the exact same things.

Next time, I hope they just say, "Yeah, screw Xbox, we like PS3 more."

Jul 22, 2009
That is be yu double ell honkey.

Sounds like a Sony written statement.

The PS3 and Xbox can handle pretty much exactly the same.

The PS3 has technically stronger processing power... but only marginally.

And the Xbox has technically better hardware.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
people practically blew drug dealers to get Modern Warfare 2 and it looked like a game from 2005.
I actually walked past someone who was. It was insane here in Britain, even with it costing like £20 when it came out. I swear modern warfare 2 is the one game thats gone up in price since its release.

But yeah, this is essentially flamebait. This is just gonna spark yet another flamewar between the xbox and PS3 fanboys.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I'll just drop in to say that I'm excited for inFamous 2 and I am very happy that they chose to improve upon the original's rougher areas.

[sub][sub][sub]Now where did I leave my keys...[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
I hope it'll be better than the first one. The first one was a lot of fun but wore thin after a while.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Well that's such a surprise to hear coming from a developer that has worked exclusively with Sony for the past decade.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
The Austin said:
I officially call bullshit.

I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty damn sure that the Xbox and the PS3 can both handle the exact same things.

Next time, I hope they just say, "Yeah, screw Xbox, we like PS3 more."
Remember the Air Force buying a shitton of PS3s for processing power?, they didn't buy 360's for processing power.
I'd rethink that statement, lol.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
I think its kinda odd how most people say the Xbox has better hardware when it has a higher HARDWARE failure rate.

Look, I'm not trying to start a flame war, but if you want to get into the specs of the two systems, the PS3 is better, but the xbox isn't far behind at all. Anything you can run on the PS3 you can run on the Xbox, you just might have to sacrifice graphics, or speed of running. And it won't be noticeable, trust me. It will be so marginal, the company will have to come out right and say "We made the xbox version inferior." I think the best example of this would be Dragon Age: Origins.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
And still no word on it coming to the PC, which you'd think would work fine as long as you met "minimum requirements."

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
HuCast said:
Rage will prove him wrong ;)
No joke.
Games look phenominal on both systems. Look at Rage, for example, which looks fantastic. Or Crysis 2, which also looks amazing. Both of which run fine on both systems. Poor flamebait marketing crap is poor.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Wow, lots of fanboyism in these comments. It's pretty widely known that the PS3 can run things the 360 can't, that's part of the reason it costs more. Why are you acting surprised/hurt/indignant?

HG131 said:
Baby Tea said:
HuCast said:
Rage will prove him wrong ;)
No joke.
Games look phenominal on both systems. Look at Rage, for example, which looks fantastic. Or Crysis 2, which also looks amazing. Both of which run fine on both systems. Poor flamebait marketing crap is poor.
Look at Halo: Reach. Look at those SPARTANs. They're beautiful!
To me Reach looks pretty much the same as H3, Only the environments have looked improved, and Killzone 3 puts them to shame..