BP Offshore Oil Drilling Board Game Has Unfortunate Implications

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BP Offshore Oil Drilling Board Game Has Unfortunate Implications

I'm sure that forty years ago, someone at British Petroleum thought that an offshore oil rig board game was a great idea.

There are moments in life where someone just has to shrug and say, "It seemed like a good idea at the time." Everyone goes through them, though some are of greater magnitude than others. For instance, it's probably a good bet that when one of the higher-ups at BP suggested cutting corners on safety measures at the Deepwater Horizons oil rig to cut down on costs, people agreed that it seemed like a good idea ... at the time.

And speaking of BP, it seems that the recent tragedy in the Gulf of Mexico has spurred interest in a "rare" and "obscure" officially-licensed BP board game from the 1970s [http://www.metro.co.uk/news/834121-rare-1970s-bp-board-game-promises-oil-thrills-comes-back-to-haunt-them] called Offshore Oil Strike. In the game (complete with surprisingly ominous box art), player must manage their own offshore oil rigs to rake in the big bucks while being wary of "hazard cards" that could spell doom. Like, for instance, this one:

"Blow-out! Rig damaged. Oil slick clean-up costs. Pay $1 million."

Considering that BP has spent an estimated $3 billion (£1.9 billion) since April fighting the actual oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, I think those numbers need to be slightly revised somewhat, don't you?

The game itself apparently was a flop at the time - hence its obscurity - but thanks to BP's modern-day notoriety in causing one of the worst man-made natural disasters of all time, is now showing up on eBay [http://cgi.ebay.com/BP-OFFSHORE-OIL-STRIKE-GAME-100-V-GOOD-CONDITION-/230426869986?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Toys_Games_Games&hash=item35a68300e2#ht_2187wt_911]. One can only imagine that BP wishes that this game, like so much else, would just disappear forever beneath the waves.

Oh well, seemed like a good idea at the time, yeah?

(Gizmodo [http://www.metro.co.uk/news/834121-rare-1970s-bp-board-game-promises-oil-thrills-comes-back-to-haunt-them])

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
Considering that BP has spent an estimated $3 billion (£1.9 billion) since April fighting the actual oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, I think those numbers need to be slightly revised somewhat, don't you?
Well, inflation since then should be considered.

Why are you taking this so seriously anyway? Its just some random boardgame.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Wow. neither the game, nor the offshore drilling rigs used by BP have been updated in over 30 years.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Mmm... This irony taste great!

It was 30 years ago, I doubt they planned it knwoing there would be a major ecological disaster 30 years later.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I started reading this article with the absolute certainty that the product in question was a joke... and this is apparently real and not fictional. Now my brain hurts!

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Funny aneurysm moment. There may be someone at BP now going "Owww, my pride".

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
And I'm sure a Toyota has sped up and wrecked in Gran Turismo at one time or another.

Besides, everyone knows the boss of 70's drilling games was King Oil:

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
That's kind of hilarious in that tragic, oh-no-not-the-gulls kinda way. I want to go find this on ebay now, and play it with my family over a nice seafood dinner :p

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
So thats what they've been using to train themselves all these years!

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Hey, wait a second, that board game's not right. That's the European edition!

butteforce

Mar 4, 2010
Now with the optional ruleset of "draw a hazard card every 15 seconds"!

I think I'd like to see a mashup of this board game and http://fakescience.tumblr.com/post/576451712/how-do-we-get-oil

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
I think this is the result of a plea of some low-level worker who, gifted with the ability to see the future, anxiously tried to warn the world of the impending doom. BP executives turned his warning into a silly boardgame because they were bored in between making offensive amounts of money and cutting safety corners.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
That is ironically-tragically-amusant, though I also hear that DC comics is also covering the disaster aswell.

[http://img682.imageshack.us/i/bpkillsaquamanghjgjhgjh.gif/]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Marmooset said:
And I'm sure a Toyota has sped up and wrecked in Gran Turismo at one time or another.

That actually looks like fun! o.o

OT : Heh...if someone at BP Executive Team saw that I am sure more than a couple red faces would be showing!

butteforce

Mar 4, 2010
Marmooset said:
Unless there was an option to set the ocean on fire, I'm going to have to remain skeptical of this "boss" status.

Feb 13, 2008
I work on the basic

strategy, where the Environmentalists are perfectly happy with my oil drilling.

Ever since their last leader had that dreadful industrial accident.

I don't think we ever found most of his body.

Ah well, profits life goes on.

polarizebeta

Feb 3, 2010
Well, using a quick on-line inflation calculator, the 1,000,000 in 1975 would only be 3,943,186.08 in 2009 dollars. (no calculator for 2010 until next year). The $3 Billion would be worth $760,806,094.52 in 1975. I tried to find their IS for that year to see if they made enough to cover this, but no such luck. Anyways, someone could have a lot of fun playing this and making fun of all of the current goings on at the firm.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
I misread the title and thought this was gonna be about an indie game that I saw getting some news backlash last night.

...because a game about cleaning up the oil spill is aparently "in poor taste".