Fallout Devs Want to Work On Chrono Trigger

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fallout Devs Want to Work On Chrono Trigger

When asked what JRPG they'd love to "Westernize," two of the leads at Obsidian Entertainment chose the 1994 SNES classic Chrono Trigger.

Many of the folks at Obsidian have a long and storied pedigree of working on Western RPGs, from tenures at Black Isle working on Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment to their time at Obsidian with Knights of the Old Republic II and the upcoming Fallout: New Vegas. Speaking with recently-announced Dungeon Siege 3 [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/06/obsidian-would-like-to-work-on-chrono-trigger/], however, two Obsidian higher-ups discussed RPGs from the other side of the Pacific.

According to Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart, the developer had been in talks with JRPG giant Square-Enix for quite some time - which is how they'd been tapped to make Dungeon Siege. "We were talking to Square for quite awhile," said Urquhart, "You make RPGs, we make RPGs, it would be great to see what we could do together. And they really wanted to start getting into Western RPGs. And, so it kind of all ended up fitting together."

When asked what other Square-Enix franchise they might want to work on, however, Urquhart and lead designer Nathan Chapman agreed on the seminal Chrono Trigger. "[Across] everything that I played I would have to go with Chrono Trigger. I think Chrono Trigger was one I really enjoyed."

Of course, then the question is: How do you make it into a Western RPG? "I think we're going with Chrono Trigger because it has elements of a Western RPG. It's more open, it's still mostly linear, but there are parts you can explore more," said Chapman, praising the game's multiple endings and ability to fight the final boss at pretty much any moment after an early checkpoint.

"I think it would be fun to take the setting of a Japanese RPG, which is a weird mix of fantasy and sci-fi mashed together and make a Western RPG out of that," elaborated Urquhart. "I think that would be cool. I mean it's kind of Star Wars, that's kind of what Star Wars is a fantasy in space. I think that would be interesting."

I think it would be interesting too, Feargus. It also helps that Chrono Trigger is, in this writer's humble opinion, one of the best games ever made by anyone anywhere. So more Chrono Trigger is always a good thing.

Though I can't help shake the feeling that an Obsidian-developed Trigger would actually give Crono a voice. And that would just be wrong.

I'd still play it, though.

(Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/06/obsidian-would-like-to-work-on-chrono-trigger/])

Calhoun347

Aug 25, 2009
I'm sorry Obsidian, but there is no reason for you to touch Chrono Trigger. Please, please stay away, far far away.

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
After alpha protocol you do not need to be touching anything so classic.

New vegas may grant you some leeway.

Until then stay off.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I for one support this idea. However, instead of remaking the game howzabout we focus on a new story? That way fanboys won't scream "It's ruined foreveeeeerrr!!!" if it ends up sucking.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Hard for a game of such acclaim, being tackled by a studio with such a great track record, ever living up to expectations. Easily my second favorite JRPG, and prolly only coming in second to FF7 by a hair. Though i really question what they'd do with it. I'd say don't try and just remake chrono trigger, but instead have a time travel adventure set in that universe. Maybe even hit you with some of the characters as possible party members. I think it might be for the best to just leave chrono himself out though. Toriyama too busy sippin martini's on his Dragonball money to get for art direction?

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
PhunkyPhazon said:
I for one support this idea. However, instead of remaking the game howzabout we focus on a new story? That way fanboys won't scream "It's ruined foreveeeeerrr!!!" if it ends up sucking.
I concur. I prefer Obsidian RPGs over Bioware for example. The only flaw Obsidian has is time.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
This would be a bit like George Lucas saying he wants to remake the Wizard of Oz. I hope Akira Toriyama has a bat handy.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
No, please no. "westernize" Chrono Trigger, that would clearly change mechanics and battle system pretty much changing what made the game so damn great!

Things like this should be left untouched. Besides I doubt Square would let them even try.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Icehearted said:
This would be a bit like George Lucas saying he wants to remake the Wizard of Oz. I hope Akira Toriyama has a bat handy.
Akira Toriyama just designed the character concepts...

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
No sequal that Obsidian has made is as good as the source material. KotOR 2 came close, but seriously, these guys need to stay awawy from Crhono Trigger.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
blakfayt said:
Only if they did something about the art, I enjoyed Chrono Trigger, but that damn art is just...I hate DBZ and all the art for Chrono Trigger and DQ is like looking at hundreds of Gokus.
I thought that too, after looking at the picture in the OP.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I'd love to see a western-style CT, but not by Obisidan. Maybe I'll change if they ever create a game that is not bugged to hell.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Intruiging...so long as they don't completely change the art style, setting, ect, then there's no reason that a Chrono game focusing on western rpg ideals wouldn't work.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Noooo

no no no

Please god no.

*ahem* I mean, please developers of Fallout, do not touch such a wonderful and classic game that HAS NO NEED FOR UPDATING. Besides, you wouldn't want to play with JRPGs, you make western RPGs, ones about big manly men in a world with lots of brown....unless you're outsourced by Bioware, then you make an incomplete game, but anyways: You have no need to touch Chrono Trigger inappropriately.

Luckily, Squeenix wouldn't let anyone near their property with a 10-foot Chocobo.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I saw Chrono Trigger and I was like YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS and then I saw Obsidian and i was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
zHellas said:
blakfayt said:
Only if they did something about the art, I enjoyed Chrono Trigger, but that damn art is just...I hate DBZ and all the art for Chrono Trigger and DQ is like looking at hundreds of Gokus.
I thought that too, after looking at the picture in the OP.
It's the same artist, so no surprise here.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I remain skeptical about this. Chrono Trigger is one of my favourite games of all time, and I get leery when someone wants to start messing with a working formula.
One thing they'd have to keep intact is the original character design and artwork. I love Akira Toriyama's artwork. Hmmmm... perhaps if they went with a graphic style similar to Dragon Quest VIII...