Next Mortal Kombat Aimed at Hardcore Players

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Next Mortal Kombat Aimed at Hardcore Players

The new Mortal Kombat will be a much deeper experience than previous games in the series, says NetherRealm's Ed Boon.

There are some fighting game fans that can pull off a Dragon Punch every now and then, and then there are those who pull off enormous combos with ease. According to NetherRealms Ed Boon, the upcoming Mortal Kombat game will be aimed more at the latter, more hardcore group, rather than the casual player.

"This game, we are really going after that hardcore player," he said. "We have some features in the game that are really layered into the game. I think the casual people will still have a good time, but they're not going to dig as deep in terms of fighting mechanic, features and strategy."

Boon added that regardless of how the casual or hardcore a given game might be, he felt that the perception of fighting games being intricate and impenetrable was a tough thing to overcome: "Unfortunately, I think that some people are associating [with the fighting genre] this kind of complexity that they don't want to learn. That makes some developers shy away from [the genre] because it's really such a niche market."

That last Mortal Kombat was the teen rated Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe which sold nearly two million copies in two weeks in 2008. Ownership of the series was transferred to Warner Bros. when it bought most of the bankrupt Midway's assets in 2009. The new Mortal Kombat, which has no number or subtitle attached, is due to be released in 2011.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29221/Mortal_Kombats_Boon_Hardcore_Reputation_Hinders_Sales_In_Fighting_Game_Genre.php]

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
I'll reserve judgement for now. I've never been a MK fan, but I do love fighting games, so if it's good i'll probably enjoy it.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Oops.
That's all there is to say really, I think they could be the victims of their own downfall with that statement.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
While it isn't going to sell to the masses as much, it's still great for me, because I play Mortal Kombat games more most of my library, and have gotten used to stringing intricate combos and long moves.
I can't wait for this game.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
As much as I love the old MK games (especially Ultimate 3 and MK2) I do agree that they really are very simple, casual-minded games. There really aren't too many combos, or at least very few compared to MvC2 or SF4 or something like that. I'm not sure which game I'm more excited about, Mortal Kombat or the new Marvel vs Capcom... 2011 will be a great year!

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Combos? Who uses combos in MK?
You punch them rapidly, and when Shao Khan says finish him you kick 'em in the shin.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
There are some fighting game fans that can pull off a Dragon Punch every now and then, and then there are those who pull of enormous combos with ease. According to NetherRealms Ed Boon, the upcoming Mortal Kombat game will be aimed more at the latter, more hardcore group, rather than the casual player.
Well they just lost a sell... Was thinking to get it (on 360 i really didnt care about the 3d annoncement) Was a bit excited to play a return to root of the MK serie... but I,m no hardcore players by any streatch, even less of combat game. If they make the game like they say i will rage on it 1 hours and never touch it again.... so no thanks

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Surely by next MK he means the one coming after this new reboot.. right? Because if he means this one, it looks exactly like the same broken stilted MK game we've been playing for years (and years) now. Sorry Mr. Boon, but adding ex versions of special moves and an xray visual autocombo doesn't make your fighting game deep or hardcore.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
They can say whatever they want but a fighting game is always just going to be a fighting game... you know some thing you either play for 5 minutes and get bored or something you play for years and master.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I can't help but wonder if it will still be as clunky and sluggish as their previous entries.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ill take this with a pinch of salt for now, but, look forward to seeing what they pull out

AngelSword

Castles & Chemo Founder
Oct 19, 2008
I thought they killed the Mortal Kombat franchise with...what was it called? Oh, yeah. ARMAGEDDON.

That's quite the mountain to retcon.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
Ed Boon... he's been making MK since 1995, right?
Dannnng!
1992 actually, he co-created it alongside John Tobias, who left around 2000.

OT: I'm really looking forward to this game, the story sounds interesting from what i heard.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Zeromaeus said:
Combos? Who uses combos in MK?
You punch them rapidly, and when Shao Khan says finish him you kick 'em in the shin.
I've only done a proper finisher once, Babality.
I then vowed never to spend time trying to learn the silly combos.