XBLA Summer of Arcade Detailed: 5 Cool-Looking Games for $15

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
XBLA Summer of Arcade Detailed: 5 Cool-Looking Games for $15

Another "Summer of Arcade" is upon us, and Microsoft has detailed the dates and prices (or rather, price) for its five nifty-looking XBLA downloadable titles.

You know, I think you can definitely put me down in the "fan" category when it comes to Xbox Live's now-annual Summer of Arcade. You get some cool-looking games relatively cheaply, and it's a great way to bypass the standard blockbuster model of game development that takes teams of hundreds and years to complete one title.

Microsoft has announced the dates and prices for this year's Summer of Arcade - though really, that should be price in the singular, because all five of the games will cost you 1200 Microsoft Points, or $15.

[blockquote] * Limbo: July 21
* Hydro Thunder Hurricane: July 28
* Castlevania: Harmony of Despair: August 4
* Monday Night Combat: August 11
* Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light: August 18
[/blockquote]

While I'm sure that Hydro Thunder and Monday Night Combat will be fine on their own, it's the other three titles on the list that catch my eye. Lara Croft looks absolutely fantastic and haunting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010/7746-E3-2010-Tito-s-Five-Favorite-Games].

If you buy all five games, you get a 1200 point rebate - essentially a "buy five, get one free" deal - and buying three of them will get you an extra 400 points.

I'm getting at least three, I know that much. What about you guys?

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/06/summer-of-arcade-xbla-games-dated-and-priced/])

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Looks pretty decent. 1200 sounds a bit too much though. Especially for Lara Croft. What, is there Multiplayer or something?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I'm kinda curios about Lara Croft, even if the price is a bit steep. I'll probably try out the demo to see if I like it. I'll wait to hear how long it'll be before I decide to buy it. Sometimes you can get your money's worth if the game is long enough.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
The only thing i care about is when Limbo will be released on the PC (hopefully through Steam or Impulse)

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Not as good as last years. But hey, Hydro Thunder. That's probably going to be the only one I'm getting, but I'm going to try out Guardian of Light in demo form when it comes out.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I will probally end up getting the last three. They do look pretty awesome, I have to say.

Nouw said:
Looks pretty decent. 1200 sounds a bit too much though. Especially for Lara Croft. What, is there Multiplayer or something?
Co-op, I do believe.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
I found the previous Summer of Arcade much more appealing. I think I will look into the trails but seems like a giant pass for me.
Well last one did have Shadow Complex.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I'm interested in trying out Limbo (I have a bit of a weakness for "arty" platformer type games) and I'd like the Lara Croft game to be good or at least worth a look.

I can't say I'm really too fussed on the other three at the moment.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I might have to book the day off work when Castlevania is released. Lara Croft holds no interest for me, MN combat looks like a TF knock off and hydro is out as I dont do racing games. Limbo looks interesting.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The Tomb Raider one has my eye, thats for sure. I think I will definetly have to look and think abot that one!

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
The games that I'm interested in are Monday Night Combat and Limbo. MNC looks like a fun time and I'm a sucker for an Running Man type schtick . Limbo looks to be a pretty cool platformer with good physics and nice aesthetics. I LOVE Castlevania and all but am I the only one that feels like this game had absolutely no effort put into it? It looks simply like they decided to put SotN, DoS, OoE and PoR in a blender and didn't bother to wipe away the blood. Never the less I will try the Trial. Lara Croft looks ok and its good to see the Tomb Raider series try something new, but I'm really not that interested in it. I don't even think Hydro thunder is on my radar at all.

Overall, I'm underwhelmed, last year gave us the great Shadow Complex which I thoroughly enjoyed and 'Splosion Man, which I absolutely adored. The year before was even stronger with Braid, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Galaga Legions and the masterpiece of Castle Crashers. I think if they'd released the games Battle Block Theater, Comic Jumper, and Hydrophobia then it would have been much stronger.