142: How to Devour the Flesh of Your Ancestors

Colin Rowsell

Jan 14, 2008
How to Devour the Flesh of Your Ancestors

"Ancient rulers from Indus to Sumeria knew the power of godhood lay in death and fertility - the ability and the obligation to heal the land by dying. The king would go with his servants to a great tree by a crossroads. There, lashed to the trunk with cruel straps, he would hang, deprived of water and food and comfort, left to the elements for nine whole days while his own meat broiled in the afternoon sun."

"The king would die. The harvest would come."

"So where's Major Nelson when we need a yappy corpse to string up? Yahtzee, are you free Wednesday?"

Read Full Article

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
I'm having a hard time understanding the end idea. Are you suggesting we dismantle games journalism and start afresh, or something different? Because, frankly, it was somewhat hard to pin down what you meant.

Nevertheless, many good points on the stagnation of journalism. A good read.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Surggical_Scar said:
I'm having a hard time understanding the end idea. Are you suggesting we dismantle games journalism and start afresh, or something different? Because, frankly, it was somewhat hard to pin down what you meant.

Nevertheless, many good points on the stagnation of journalism. A good read.
I think he is pointing out that while other types of journalism are cynical and weary that games journalism doesn't have to be that way.

DreamerM

Feb 28, 2008
sammyfreak said:
I think he is pointing out that while other types of journalism are cynical and weary that games journalism doesn't have to be that way.
True, but it does seem to be going that way.

I wonder what'll happen...

Lampdevil

Dec 12, 2007
If there's anything I've taken away from this article, it's that I now know that I am not the only kid on this planet who would buy game magazines for systems that she did not own. My God. It's such a head rush! I may have lived in a Nintendo household, and never had an N64, and Sega was to be shunned as inferior, and hell if we'd ever be able to afford a PSX.... but I'd drool and grasp at any Gamepro I could get my hands on. I COLLECTED Game Players, which is quite possibly the finest, funniest video game mag that there ever was and ever will be. I couldn't play most of what was in there, but who freakin' cared?! GAMES. Glorious GAMES. Digital beauty, wonderful, wonderful things, each one a sparkling gem and an example of the wonders of modern computing technology.

All this gushing rather misses the point of the whole damned article. I don't care.

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
Heck, I haven't even bought a console for this generation (I finally got a DS, though), and my PC can't even run Psychonauts at full speed. Yet I still faithfully come here, watch Yahtzee and other good reviewers, etc. There are usually only a few games that I like each generation, and I don't see buying a console to play 5 games max. Still, I'm here, and enjoying every last minute of it.

I20I3

Nov 21, 2008
I found this very interesting and also would like to point out how gamers, as of yet are somewhat immune to this trend. Take for example the Spike TV Video game awards. Its the epitome of what he's saying it will turn into, and the best part is, most serious gamers wouldn?t take its advice for anything. Its clear as day to us that its a sell-out, sure we watch it, to see some games on TV but as for letting it influence us(well most of us) we couldn?t take it less seriously. From all the "celebrities" and "hot girls" who are "into gaming" and clearly were not told what to say the day before, to the over the top antics, and obvious advertisement, that creates an obvious biases. I think that one sure-fire safeguard would be to have review reviews, where someone analyzes the reviewer and there "influences?", and lets the public know if there recommendation can be taken seriously

Alias42

Sep 10, 2009
Do you suggest video game writing should stay naive in a world where almost no-one takes it seriously, not even the gamers themselves? I would personally go for a much deeper approach to games to dismantle it as an artform.

Yes, it might be semi-intellectual wanking, but we'll never be taken seriously without it.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
11 hours playing Final Fantasy 7. Got to the beginning of disk 2 then had to stop before my brain melted.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Lampdevil said:
If there's anything I've taken away from this article, it's that I now know that I am not the only kid on this planet who would buy game magazines for systems that she did not own. My God. It's such a head rush! I may have lived in a Nintendo household, and never had an N64, and Sega was to be shunned as inferior, and hell if we'd ever be able to afford a PSX.... but I'd drool and grasp at any Gamepro I could get my hands on. I COLLECTED Game Players, which is quite possibly the finest, funniest video game mag that there ever was and ever will be. I couldn't play most of what was in there, but who freakin' cared?! GAMES. Glorious GAMES. Digital beauty, wonderful, wonderful things, each one a sparkling gem and an example of the wonders of modern computing technology.

All this gushing rather misses the point of the whole damned article. I don't care.
I used to borrow gaming magazines from my local library. Usually Nintendo ones, despite not owning a Nintendo system. I once wrote out most of a guide for space station silicon valley because it sounded so awesome and I knew I'd have to return the magazine.