NASA Brings Gamers to the (Realistic) Final Frontier

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
NASA Brings Gamers to the (Realistic) Final Frontier

That's one small step for video games, one giant leap for NASA.
Affordable day trips to the moon may not happen as soon as<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Trip_to_the_Moon>Georges Méliès would have had us believe, but NASA is giving us the next best thing: a virtual adventure to a lunar station where players get to save the day.

Moonbase Alpha, the first game from NASA, has finally launched and is now available for download from Steam. The title was created by The Army Game Studio and North Carolina-based developer Virtual Heroes. Up to six gamers can play together and - in keeping with government-sponsored games like America's Army - it won't cost players a dime to download.

Players are cast as astronauts in a "futuristic 3D lunar settlement," according to the game's website. "Their mission is to restore critical systems and oxygen flow after a nearby meteor strike cripples a solar array and life support equipment. Available resources include an interactive command center, a lunar rover, mobile robotic repair units and a fully stocked equipment shed."

Moonbase Alpha is actually more of a multiplayer scenario than a proper game, since it only takes around a half hour to actually beat. However, there are apparently plans to eventually develop the title into a proper MMOG. NASA has announced that this is the first of two commercial-quality games it's working on with commercial developers, so maybe the MMOG will be the next title out of the queue.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
This looks pretty cool. I heard about this a while ago and I'm glad it's still coming.

Although, whenever I see "Final Frontier," my mind immediately goes to Iron Maiden's upcoming album.

MomoHime64

Jul 4, 2010
This takes me back to the mission simulators they put on for the schools at the Johnson Space Center... Quick, down-and-dirty, group-oriented and tremendously fun endeavors. I wouldn't mind a MMOG based on those old missions - it could be this generation's Oregon Trail in the classrooms.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
OOO! can't wait i love this kind of stuff.

curse my computer's slow download speed!

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
MomoHime64 said:
This takes me back to the mission simulators they put on for the schools at the Johnson Space Center... Quick, down-and-dirty, group-oriented and tremendously fun endeavors. I wouldn't mind a MMOG based on those old missions - it could be this generation's Oregon Trail in the classrooms.
"Wagon Train to the Stars"? I would play that. "You're party dies of space malaria".

And I remember those games from Space Center Houston.

havoc_91

Jun 17, 2010
downloading it now

i remember the Oregon trail back in the day, good times, good times.

Starscream48

Jun 1, 2010
I played this game today with a friend of mine and it was better than I expected. And it's fun too. Can't wait for further missions or other (free) stuff!

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I'm reserving my enthusiasm for when we earthlings become able to do the real thing.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I think most people would rather have a game about being an astronaut in open space, not on the moon. Still it's a decent edutainment title that clearly requires players to work together to get the job done on time.