Sony: PS3 Built With Move, 3D in Mind

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony: PS3 Built With Move, 3D in Mind

SCE boss Kaz Hirai says that expanding the core functionality of the PS3 was always part of Sony's plan.

The PlayStation 3 was built with enough power to accommodate things like 3D gaming and the Move controller, said SCE chief executive Kaz Hirai, in order to give the console more longevity.

"Four years ago - when you look at the console's power and its retail price - a lot of people were critical with the fact that there was so much packed under the hood," he said. "Now we're especially pleased to be introducing things like Move and 3D gaming because we're able to show tangibly why we released the PS3 with the power it has, and why it makes so much sense to future proof a console.

"The proposition we're offering customers is to reward their investment with a long and valuable piece of hardware," he added. "[3D and motion controls] are things we talked about internally before the launch. We knew that the PS3 needed to have a 10 year life cycle - much like the PlayStation and the PS3. Given how fast technology turns over now, we knew going in that we had to pack a lot of horsepower into the PS3."

Hirai also said that Sony was willing to take it's time to get something right, and didn't want to be constantly iterating technology: "We don't want to be in a position where we're having to come out with something like 'PlayStation Move Plus' two years from now. We may take more time introducing these new technologies but that's because we want to make sure we get it right the first time," he said. "We don't want to be first into the market if we're faced with a situation where we have to make too many improvements down the line."

If this console generation really is the ten year battle that Sony seems to think it is, then having the most powerful hardware may actually be the best long term decision. When you're running a marathon, you need stamina as much as you need speed.

Source: The Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/7877149/E3-2010-Kazuo-Hirai-interview.html] via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/hirai-ps3-was-built-with-move-in-mind]

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Built with powerful hardware in preperation of changes in technology? I'll buy that.
Specificly with Move and 3d in mind. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul CRAP

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
I love it when execs start randomly spouting shit and making themselves look like idiots. Surely nobody buys this?

"Also, I'm the best Killzone 2 player in the world and Little Big Planet was all my idea."

Fuck off...

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
While it isn't unlikely that Sony has been experimenting with implementing motion control in the past, saying that the the PS3 was built to be able to accomodate it... riiight... Investing in development and production of consoles is probably horribly expensive, so you're not going to add too much functionality you have no idea of whether or not you will be using it later.

Ah well, nobody will buy the Move anyway.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
zala-taichou said:
Investing in development and production of consoles is probably horribly expensive, so you're not going to add too much functionality you have no idea of whether or not you will be using it later.
Although, of course, build in everything plus the kitchen sink and then start taking away the features you decide you didn't want (irrespective of whether users wanted them) appears to have been the design philosophy of the PS3 from the beginning.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Sony said:
We may take more time introducing these new technologies but that's because we want to make sure we get it right the first time
We are still waiting.....

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I thought the Sixaxis was what the PS3 was developed for... and look what happened there.

However, it sounds more like he was saying they were developing the PS3 to adapt to any situation. Which I can see, but I don't honestly expect them to make me believe they always planned on developing the Move. That and the fact they've backtracked a few of their older features that people actually wanted kept is a little concerning and one of the factors why I wouldn't believe them.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
sony, we arent stupid, we know you just made move to try and run into nintendo's territory, remember when the motion controls thing was a "fad"? when you werent interested any anything so "childish"?
you just look pathetic, and thats something youve been doing really well lately.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
zala-taichou said:
Investing in development and production of consoles is probably horribly expensive, so you're not going to add too much functionality you have no idea of whether or not you will be using it later.
Although, of course, build in everything plus the kitchen sink and then start taking away the features you decide you didn't want (irrespective of whether users wanted them) appears to have been the design philosophy of the PS3 from the beginning.
Haha! I suppose that's true. Damn Sony, curses!

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Hey, Sony, I got a little secret to tell you: YOU CAN'T PULL A TEAM FORTRESS 2 ON A PHYSICAL VIDEO GAME CONSOLE!!!

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Sony said:
We may take more time introducing these new technologies but that's because we want to make sure we get it right the first time
This explains why they rushed the launch of the console instead of patiently investing making the console easier to program for and cheaper to buy.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009

Absolute bullcrap. Sony is trying everything they can to keep people from realizing that the PS Lollipop is a Wii clone, and that Avatar took them as well as the rest of the world by surprise.

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Hirai also said that Sony was willing to take it's time to get something right, and didn't want to be constantly iterating technology: "We don't want to be in a position where we're having to come out with something like 'PlayStation Move Plus' two years from now. We may take more time introducing these new technologies but that's because we want to make sure we get it right the first time," he said. "We don't want to be first into the market if we're faced with a situation where we have to make too many improvements down the line."
Sure, Sony, you really got the PS3 right the first time, that's why you made the PS3 Slim, right? Or why you introduced the Dualshock 3.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The PS3 was never intended to be this powerful. What we're seeing now is merely the byproduct of extensive damage control.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
Riiiight so Sony is in no way shamelessly ripping off the wii. Intresting fact: back before the N64 came out nintendo was playing around with a cd-rom based system but they decided to go with a cartridge system so they sold the desgin to Sony and thus you have the birth of the playstation.

My point is that sony has been living off of nintendo's inovations for awhile now.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
I dont really care about Sony that much, I love the ps3 and its great for gaming.

But come on, im not prepared mentally to play games with a dildo.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
As much as I love you Sony, I just can't bring myself to believe you. The 3D wouldn't surprise me but don't pretend that Move is anything but an attempt to keep up with the Joneses.

megamanenm

Apr 7, 2009
pauleatssmils said:
I hate the lonely life. Im an excellent lawyer, rich and single now. So, I put my self with hot pics on --** R i ch C ha tS . c o m --under the name 'James2564'. It's for famous and successful businessmen, lawyer, doctor, CEO, CFO, beautiful models, Celebrities and more. Check me out! Im a serious!
Well if you're a serious...

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Sony has been screwing with motion controls and camera controls since the early PS2 days.

Have any of you heard of the PSX? Probably not, it only came out in Japan. It had the cross media bar, internet, and the ability to record TV shows.

So it looks like its just easy to be skeptical and assume you know everything. Sony works on many many things in several departments GLOBALLY. Just because your region doesn't see the same thing as other regions does not mean they were not trying to introduce it or work on it early. Japan gets loads of weird crap we don't ever see. Just like the PSX.

I commend them for trying to make products that grow (all though taking features away has definitely been the most retarded move they've ever done) with legacy hardware and don't need marginal upgrades.

Look at Nintendo, they come out with an upgrade every 6 months to a year and its just bullshit. Look how many iterations of the DS there has been or the I-phone, and a bunch of zombies just walk up and spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in marginal upgrades in hardware that should have been there in the first place.