Deathspank: Gaming's "Chocolate/Peanut Butter Combo"

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Deathspank: Gaming's "Chocolate/Peanut Butter Combo"

How do you follow up a videogame based on Penny Arcade? If you're Hothead Games, you make your next RPG even more insane.

When it comes to RPGs, Hothead Games doesn't want to just put out the same thing over and over again. In a conference call with the development team for Deathspank, the studio's soon-to-be-released action-RPG (initially created by Ron Gilbert), it was explained that the studio wanted to create something bigger and crazier than its previous titles. From the sound of things, it seems like Deathspank will easily pull this off.

Gamers are probably familiar with Hothead's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99549-Penny-Arcade-Adventures-Ends-Abruptly>Penny Arcade Adventures games, which took a JRPG approach to gameplay with a pre-determined story and turn-based combat. However, Deathspank is taking a very different approach to gameplay this time around.

"From a design standpoint, one of the big struggles... was going from the turn-based, static style of combat to a fluid style of combat," said Darren Evenson, the game's lead designer. "Making that system took some time and a few tries... it's a very different system."

It sounds fun, too. At one point during the call, the Hothead team explained how the Repeating Crossbow will not only fire as fast as players can press the attack button, but that you will see every arrow sticking out from an enemy, "like a porcupine."

The fluid combat is expected to make the game more exciting than the Penny Arcade titles, too. "Our first experience was more laid back; you were in the back of your chair. We wanted to create something that was more 'edge of your seat'," said Vlad Ceraldi, the game's executive producer. Not only that, but Hothead is aiming for bigger laughs than it did last time.

"I think we're the first game to have a leaderboard for 'Most Chickens Killed,'" joked Ceraldi. The game's irreverent, twisted sense of humor doesn't end there, either. Players can also expect to see a lot of poop jokes, since outhouses will serve as checkpoints, respawn areas, and teleportation locations. Other humorous items mentioned during the call included a sock, "turtle gonads", and C-4 charges.

Based on what the development team revealed today, as well as footage available on the official website it looks like this will be a blast. Ceraldi certainly seems to think so. "I think we definitely found the chocolate/peanut butter combination of videogame form," he said.

Deathspank is due out for Xbox Live (1200 points) and PSN ($14.99) next week.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow...I think my brain may have just exploded a little...the Penny Arcade game was pretty fun, I can assume they will follow through with this soon ^^

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
I really, really dig that art style.

Shame I don't own a 360 or PS3, would've liked to have tried this out.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
What, no PC release? Damnit, we used to OWN indie stuff like this...

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
vansau said:
Other humorous items mentioned during the call included... "turtle gonads"...
Oh my...

Seriously though, sounds like a very fun game and seeing how those two Penny Arcade ones were pretty good, there's little reason to doubt this one will be competent.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Fast as I can tap you say?

I feel like im going to be using the crossbow.

Or the turtle gonads, they sound fun, and deadly.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Nimbus said:
Ron Gilbert said:
DeathSpank is poised to hit PSN, XBLA and [REDACTED] on July 13th, July 14th and [REDACTED] [REDACTED]th.
Source. [http://grumpygamer.com/9089133] Fill in the blanks.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Flying Dagger said:
That screen shot looks awfully similar to psychonauts.
Kinda, but I was also somewhat reminded of the Paper Mario games.

Not that there's anything wrong with comparisons to either of those art styles.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I've been looking forward to this one for awhile; unfortunately xbox.com still has no info in regards to a demo yet.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Nimbus said:
PSN and XBLA are amazing things for console only gamers like myself. Eventually, every gamer is going to have to have access to all the major platforms, otherwise you'll get left in the dust somewhere along the way.

albino boo said:
Deathspank, isn't that what happed to David Carradine?
Fantastic.

Ankhwatcher

Mar 21, 2008
For those of you outside of the US mixing chocolate with peanut butter is how Americans make up for having crap milk that makes worse chocolate.
This method is successfully used in a number of delicious treats.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
It'll hit PC, I'm sure. They're a part of Greenhouse [http://www.playgreenhouse.com], which is kinda like an 'indie Steam'. I'm sure they just received an incentive to keep it on the consoles initially.

That said, I may not wish to wait. I loathe buying things on PSN, but this one might force my hand.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
solidstatemind said:
It'll hit PC, I'm sure. They're a part of Greenhouse [http://www.playgreenhouse.com], which is kinda like an 'indie Steam'. I'm sure they just received an incentive to keep it on the consoles initially.

That said, I may not wish to wait. I loathe buying things on PSN, but this one might force my hand.
How is PSN any different than the other digital distribution channels? I'm not familiar with Steam, but both PSN and XBLA work pretty much the same way.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Next week?! I thought this thing wasn't coming out for ages. Damn, thats another £15 gone.

For those who are on the fence skip to 5:30 on this video. Some of the funniest dialogue I've heard in a game for a long time.

Zombus

Apr 29, 2009
I may jusr have to invest in this game; I like that they say it has a real story, not a crappy videogame one.