Nintendo Admits 3DS Marketing is "Tricky"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

How do you promote a product that has to be seen in person to be believed? If you know, you might want to give Nintendo a phone call.

Pretty much everyone who got a chance to check out Nintendo's 3DS handheld [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/3ds] at E3 2010 came away with glowing, baffled reports. It seemed like Nintendo had something absolutely golden on its hands, something that would almost surely fly off shelves and sell a million bazillion copies.

But wait: Its big feature is that its special screen provides a 3D image without the use of clunky glasses. How do you demonstrate the system's 3D capabilities in media that still remains prominently two-dimensional - or that can display 3D, but only with the same 3D glasses that Nintendo is tossing by the wayside?

"We are constantly discussing how to market the product," 3DS producer Hideki Konno told Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/nintendo-3ds-marketing-%E2%80%9Cvery-tricky%E2%80%9D] in an interview. "Our internal PR departments are saying that we should use cinema advertising, because cinemas are capable of showing 3D movies. But our key point with 3DS is that you don't need glasses, which you obviously need to use in cinemas. So we think regular marketing and promotional activities will be very tricky for us."

Nintendo is hoping, he said, that once the system starts getting into peoples' hands, word of mouth will do the rest. In fact, even within Nintendo itself there were many doubters who weren't on board the 3DS train until they saw the technology for themselves, said Konno. "We weren't completely successfully with Virtual Boy so there was a suspicious tone within the company. First, I introduced the latest technology - the 3D panel - attached it to the Wii and showed a demo showing Mario Kart Wii and Animal Crossing."

Since saying that Nintendo "wasn't completely successful" with the Virtual Boy feels like saying that the Chernobyl reactor "wasn't performing up to expectations," it's understandable that Nintendo's higherups might have seemed a bit wary over jumping into the 3D pool again.

Luckily, the 3DS tech won them over. "In Japan there's a maxim: a glance is better than a hundred words," said Konno. "Even with words I wasn't able to convince anyone. So I presented the demo to Miyamoto and Iwata and they were stunned and agreed to take it in that direction."

So far, the gamble seems to have paid off for Nintendo, with the buzz for the system being overwhelmingly positive. But the problem still remains - can word-of-mouth alone sell a console?

(Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/nintendo-3ds-marketing-%E2%80%9Cvery-tricky%E2%80%9D])

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Stick demo stations in every game store known to man.

Kids will find it, play it, and yell "MOM, this is so cool! I want one!"

Everyone else will hear it through word of mouth via trustworthy sources. Such as this site.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Why don't they just do the same thing Sony is doing to market it's 3D stuff? It's possible to show an image 'leaving' a screen and entering the 'real world'. Just show the person not using glasses and you know everything you need to. Plus, it is called the 3DS. I think people can assume it does 3D, and Nintendo will get the point across that you don't need glasses.

DangNabbit

May 23, 2010
John Funk said:
Nintendo is hoping, he said, that once the system starts getting into peoples' hands, word of mouth will do the rest. In fact, even within Nintendo itself there were many doubters who weren't on board the 3DS train until they saw the technology for themselves, said Konno. "We weren't completely successfully with Virtual Boy so there was a suspicious tone within the company. First, I introduced the latest technology - the 3D panel - attached it to the Wii and showed a demo showing Mario Kart Wii and Animal Crossing"
<a href='/news/view/101962-Nintendo-Admits-3DS-Marketing-is-Tricky'
Woah,am I reading this right? A 3D attachment for the Wii? Did I miss something?

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
I'm not sure the 3DS's technology really has to be seen to be believed. I've never seen a 3DS, but I assume the technology is pretty much this, right?
At 3 mins 30 seconds

They could just have a commercial showing something similar to what Johnny Lee here did.

guiltless

Feb 11, 2010
We see the cliche 3D events in movies. In a video game, they will become more cliche and turn into a gimmick, especially on hardware like a Nintendo. Maybe when 3D games like Metro 2033 become more prevalent, and just rely on environment for immersion, 3D gaming will be better. Because that is the point, right? Immersion. But this is just another invitation for Nintendo to make more of the same, but different, games, because they can't make an original IP for the modern era unless its tied to their hardwares gimmicks.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Simple word of mouth is enough when you already have about 130 million people who already own a DS. It's not like it's an obscure brand new piece of hardware, most of these people will buy the 3DS when they hear that it works and get a chance to play with a display model at their local retailer, if it's affordable anyway.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
You could advertise at 3D cinemas? Or maybe some sort of WonkaVision style device to let people have a go, but then you'd need a giant 3DS.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Im not sure why traditional means wouldnt work. Look at avatar. sure it had 3d previews in theaters but outside of that the movie made a shit load of money from traditional marketing and its main selling point was awesome 3d. Also im sure they will come up with some way to get 3d videos of it playing in gamestops around the world. all they would need to do it make it mounted in a way that provided an infinite number of viewing angles so everyone could see it properly.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
DarkRyter said:
Stick demo stations in every game store known to man.

Kids will find it, play it, and yell "MOM, this is so cool! I want one!"
This, and they better be doing a tour like they did with the original DS.

Mukil

Mar 23, 2010
umm I saw this video on youtube. "what 3DS could look like" ; He manages to show 3D quite well, maybe they should try this!

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
The Sharp Quattron TV did it very well (normal TVs can't show the extra yello colour), so they joked saying stuff like "Picture the beautiful ocean views, in your mind"

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Well, their biggest problem is the people who understand how its possible aren't exactly going to be impressed by it.

Unless they're doing something beyond cross prism polarization to achieve the same stereoscopic effect used in cinematic 3D (basically merging the glasses and the screen and screaming "OMG NO GLASSES"), the thing sounds like you must hold it a specific distance from your face, else it simply doesn't work.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I guess you should just tell people about it and wait for them to actually use it, what else can you do?

ScorpSt

Mar 18, 2010
Citrus Insanity said:
I'm not sure the 3DS's technology really has to be seen to be believed. I've never seen a 3DS, but I assume the technology is pretty much this, right?
At 3 mins 30 seconds

They could just have a commercial showing something similar to what Johnny Lee here did.
Mukil said:
umm I saw this video on youtube. "what 3DS could look like" ; He manages to show 3D quite well, maybe they should try this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_P4gyjf5tQ&fmt=18
The problem with these is that these are just simple head tracking. It adjusts the perspective you see based on the direction you're looking at the screen. This is easier to display on a video that what Nintendo is doing. The 3DS is broadcasting two separate images to your eyes, something you can't do without using some kind of 3D technology.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Why not try to simulate the effect through some fancy graphic? Just get as many descriptions of the 3D effect from a dozen people, and compile the information the best way possible.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I suppose they could show 3D ads in cinemas, and say something along the lines of:

"Take of your glasses. Are you viewing the picture in 3D now? No? We thought as much... Try the new 3DS today!"