Blizzard Nixes Plans to Require Real Names

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blizzard Nixes Plans to Require Real Names

In response to overwhelmingly negative feedback, Blizzard has changed its plans to display users' real names on its forums.

A quick recap: Earlier this week, Blizzard announced plans [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101916-Blizzard-Forums-Make-Real-Names-Mandatory] to expand its in-game RealID system - which allows users to friend each other via their real life identities and keep in touch no matter what server, faction, or game they're playing - to its forums come the release of StarCraft II and WoW: Cataclysm. If you wanted to post, you'd have to post with your real-life name.

The community went up in flames in possibly the most overwhelmingly negative reaction I'd seen in six years of WoW (and I've seen a lot of negative reactions, believe me). Blizzard said that it was "definitely listening" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101946-Blizzard-is-Definitely-Listening-to-Real-ID-Feedback] to the community feedback on the issue, though many doubted that the developer would change its mind.

Well, guess what: Blizzard changed its mind.

According to a message written by Blizzard CEO and cofounder Mike Morhaime (posted by Blizzard community manager Nethaera) in a post on the World of Warcraft forums [http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25968987278&sid=1], all plans to incorporate RealID into the forums are hereby off the table: "We've been constantly monitoring the feedback you've given us, as well as internally discussing your concerns about the use of real names on our forums. As a result of those discussions, we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums."

Though Morhaime said that Blizzard believed that RealID was a "powerful" communications tool that real-life friends could use to keep in touch no matter what, it would remain entirely optional. "We believe that the powerful communications functionality enabled by Real ID, such as cross-game and cross-realm chat, make Battle.net a great place for players to stay connected to real-life friends and family while playing Blizzard games. And of course, you'll still be able to keep your relationships at the anonymous, character level if you so choose when you communicate with other players in game."

So this means that StarCraft II players will just be posting with their StarCraft II character name, and WoW players will continue posting on their characters and level 1 trolling alts as per usual.

In the end, I'm glad to see that Blizzard was in fact listening to the community's feedback on this, though I'm also glad that RealID is sticking around in its current form - it really is great talking to friends in-game who play on completely different servers. So the people who like RealID get to keep it in game, and the people who don't like RealID get to keep their anonymous forums. Everybody wins!

Everybody, that is, except for certain people who have spent all morning writing a column that is now completely invalidated.

Dammit.

(World of Warcraft Forums [http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25968987278&sid=1])

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I'm actually disappointed with this. I like the idea of being forced to use your real identity online, provided it's all safe and secure. I use my real identity, and it's a great idea to crack down on people who abuse the system and the forums. Fine, usernames are good too. But why not let Blizzard do something like The Escapist does, allowing usernames but having real names on profiles, except unlike here, making those real names compulsory? A bit of compromise might help sooth the wounded trolls on the Blizzard forums...

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Blizzard's intentions were good (sort of), but the cons really did outweigh the pros in this case. Gamers like to keep their game lives and their social lives separate for more reasons than trolling, after all.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
*pats John*
Don't worry, you can still publish it, just as an afterthought of the whole deal. I wouldn't mind reading it.

As for 1 lvl alt trolling, i still cant see how a name would fix it. You still wouldn't know the guys character, would you ? ^^ Trolls only really care for not being discovered in-game so they don't get kicked out from guilds/raids/arena teams. It can be easily solved by making your forum avatar link to all characters associated with that poster. Or..well, moderate them forums?

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Heh, thought it wouldn't work. In spite of not playing it anymore, it's still good to see that marketing considerations don't take priority over PR considerations with WoW. Though in conjunction with another bit of news about another MMO, which just came out a few hours ago, this retraction of theirs might be a little...hrm...badly timed. *grins evilly*

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well, now Blizzard haters have another reason against them. "Them" being the haters, that is.

Although, the idea never annoyed me in the first place, but I'll never understand people...

Andantil

May 10, 2009
Glad to see this madness never came to be. Anonymity is the most powerful thing we can ever have.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Wow, perhaps some other groups could listen to feedback, too? Maybe ubisoft. Man, I fucking hate ubisoft.

Fuck you, spellcheck, they don't deserve a capital letter.

Oh, and go Blizzard.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
I wouldn't consider this a victory just yet, they have a slight loophole in the 3rd or 4th paragraph. This is more damage control than anything, still a good sign.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Wow players will complain about this too, likely. Seems the vocal minority of that game is pretty awful.

I enjoyed the fallout from the announcement quite a bit, but I suppose long term letting people be anonymous will provide more laffs und lulz.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I'd be genuinly happy with that, not the fact they have scapped real Id but that they listened to the community, I just lately as a gamer feel as though their is less connection between the companies and those who buy their games lately. Nice to know I was wrong.

Verkain

Sep 5, 2004
Citrus Insanity said:
Blizzard's intentions were good (sort of), but the cons really did outweigh the pros in this case. Gamers like to keep their game lives and their social lives separate for more reasons than trolling, after all.
I agree.

I was not as vehemently opposed to the idea as some (I just was never going to post on the official boards) but I still didn't think it was a good idea.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Too bad. I was kind of liking the concept of accountability. Personally- and I say this as someone with a very VERY rare last name- it would've been an effective tool for reducing the amount of childish namecalling. The concerns in re: mistreatment of minorities and females were legitimate, though, so I can see why they decided to back off rather than risk that.

Of course, given that I never go to the forums except for Tech Support, I suppose I won't be much impacted either way.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Bravo to Blizzard for listening to its supporters...again.

Now if they would just listen and somehow remove themselves from Vivendi...

The Singularity

Jun 3, 2008
Keava said:
*pats John*
Don't worry, you can still publish it, just as an afterthought of the whole deal. I wouldn't mind reading it.

As for 1 lvl alt trolling, i still cant see how a name would fix it. You still wouldn't know the guys character, would you ? ^^ Trolls only really care for not being discovered in-game so they don't get kicked out from guilds/raids/arena teams. It can be easily solved by making your forum avatar link to all characters associated with that poster. Or..well, moderate them forums?
Yeah exactly, aren't all WoW characters linked to the like master account that holds all their characters? Why not simply make them use that master account so you can then look at their characters and blacklist all of them?

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Trivun said:
I'm actually disappointed with this. I like the idea of being forced to use your real identity online, provided it's all safe and secure. I use my real identity, and it's a great idea to crack down on people who abuse the system and the forums. Fine, usernames are good too. But why not let Blizzard do something like The Escapist does, allowing usernames but having real names on profiles, except unlike here, making those real names compulsory? A bit of compromise might help sooth the wounded trolls on the Blizzard forums...
I and many others wouldn't even consider posting here if real names were required. You can still browse the forums without signing in or signing up, so hackers can cruise for names to sell to advertisers.