Guns and Lego Bricks Build Epic Shootout

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Guns and Lego Bricks Build Epic Shootout

Lego toys may be small, but they can pack a hell of a punch.

Something I hate about most action movies I see is that the actual fight sequences are nearly incomprehensible due to quick-cuts and confusing camera angles. Case in point: By and large, I enjoyed The A-Team, but there were a couple of moments where I had no idea who was doing what in a fight. Anyone who's considering making an action movie should watch this video. Not only is it one of the best shootout scenes I've ever watched, but it was made with Lego toys!

This is the latest YouTube video by Custard Productions, which has put together a number of amazing stop-animation videos featuring Lego characters and settings (the <a href=http://www.youtube.com/user/Keshen8#p/u/2/1jzApuEW0U4>Metal Gear Solid parody is especially brilliant).

In terms of quality, I'd put this up with the <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc>shootout from Heat. Not only does it present an exciting, coherent narrative from a single angle, but it also features a sequence where a dude flies with a jetpack.

I'm not sure how long it would take, but I'd love to see a Lego adaptation of the lobby sequence in The Matrix. Based on Custard's track record, it would probably look amazing.

Source: Geek.com

spike0918

Apr 16, 2009
Well, that almost looks like they got the right number of pictures for each second, (I can't remember if it's supposed to be 24 or 60). But I found it really janky and hilarious when the BJ Blazkowicz wannabe would run from cover to cover. He would kinda look like a zombie, hunched over and not visibly moving his legs much.

Still pretty awesome though, thanks for sharing.

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
I have to say that is the most epic thing I have ever seen. The fact that it was in lego made it even better.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
That was great. I liked the use of one long, low shot, it really puts you "in" the action and this is honestly one of the best shootouts that I've seen in a while. Also, jet pack mook FTW!

Completely off-topic here, but does anyone else prefer the old yellow lego people to the new peach ones? I find the new skin tone ones detract from the silly charm.

SideburnsPuppy

May 23, 2009
When one guy has a Kevlar vest and the rest don't, it's not exactly fair. It can, however, still be awesome.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
vansau said:
Legos may be small, but they can pack a hell of a punch.
I'm sorry this is going to make me sound REALLY anal but I'm afraid I have to point this out because it REALLY bugs me!

When referring to Lego, the plural of Lego is LEGO, not LEGOS. There is no s on the end. It is like the word sheep. You have one sheep or many sheep. You do not have many sheeps.

For example:

I love to play with Lego
I built this model using 200 Lego bricks
I have a lot of Lego

It is something that Lego themselves got a bit touchy about a few years back and people navigating to Legos.com would recieve a message politely telling them to refer to it simply as Lego. Lego is a brand name and the individual pieces are Lego bricks or Lego toys, it is a brand name and not a description of the actual product.

/rant

Sorry about that, it really annoys me, is all!

OT: The video was really cool! I love to see traditional animation still being made and with a medium which seems to suit it perfectly, Lego!

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
@Proverbial John: I've heard it argued both ways. I know there was a case in 1980 with Lego asking parents to protect the brand name itself, but I can't find any official documentation officially clarifying this. Do you have a link?

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I must admit my favorite part was that the wilhelm scream was used to the start.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
vansau said:
@Proverbial John: I've heard it argued both ways. I know there was a case in 1980 with Lego asking parents to protect the brand name itself, but I can't find any official documentation officially clarifying this. Do you have a link?
Sure do:

Proper Use of the LEGO Trademark on a Web Site
If the LEGO trademark is used at all, it should always be used as an adjective, not as a noun. For example, say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGO BRICKS". Never say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGOs".Also, the trademark should appear in the same typeface as the surrounding text and should not be isolated or set apart from the surrounding text. In other words, the trademarks should not be emphasized or highlighted. Finally, the LEGO trademark should always appear with a ® symbol each time it is used.
From this page on the official Lego site: http://www.lego.com/eng/info/fairplay.asp

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any offence. I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi really, so it's the only reason I brought it up. I can understand Lego wanting to protect their brand name. However if you put legos into google, you're never too far from anything Lego related, so I guess it doesn't matter in the end. :p

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
OK, cool. I'm making edits now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

Benefactor

Jul 5, 2010
His expression reminded me of May Payne the entire time. I'd love to see a "making of" video of this.

DoodleTheory

Feb 8, 2010
Gears of Lego, that would be so sick, a huge jump from the current lego games and people like this would benefit from the new range of lego guns they would release.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Hahaha, that was awesome. And the cardboard Gear Solid one was also brilliant.

Major credit to this guy.