Dragon Quest's JRPG Mascot Inspired By Western RPG

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dragon Quest's JRPG Mascot Inspired By Western RPG

The Dragon Quest series' iconic slime creature has become a mascot for the JRPG, though its origin is not of Japan at all.

Dragon Quest's slime is usually the first monster encountered in any of the series' nine main entries. Not only is it cute, cuddly, and loved by all, but it sometimes morphs into larger forms possibly strong enough to send players back to an inn with only half of their gold. Who would have thought that it was inspired by creatures from western RPG Wizardry?

Dragon Quest creator Yuji Horii spoke to MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/07/09/dragon-quest-creator-sheds-light-on-the-creation-of-the-slime] about the origins of the slime and said: "I was really hooked on Wizardry the PC game, and that's kind of where I got the inspiration for the Slime."

"There's...slime-looking characters [in Wizardry], so I got the inspiration from it," he continued. "I was doodling the slime-looking character and I took it to Mr. Toriyama, who did the character design, and he made it the Slime we see today."

Surprising? It actually shouldn't be. Wizardry, a first-person RPG series created by Sir-Tech in the 1980s, was very popular in Japan. Its influence can still be seen in JRPGs such as Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey [http://www.amazon.com/Etrian-Odyssey-III-Drowned-Nintendo-DS/dp/B003S55EX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278721660&sr=8-1]. Wizardry has survived to this day in Japan with new titles released on the DS and in development for the PS3, though Wizardry 8 for the PC was the last major entry released in North America.

So there we have it: The most popular icon in Japanese RPG history was created thanks to a western RPG's influence. Go western RPGs... I guess? I consider myself a resident of the world, so it doesn't really matter, but any Western RPG fanboy has another factoid to put in his book. Horii's latest, Dragon Quest IX [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-IX-Sentinels-Nintendo-DS/dp/B002I0EH6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278719518&sr=8-1], will be released in North America on July 11 if you want to get a look at the latest Wizardry-inspired slimes.

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/07/09/dragon-quest-creator-sheds-light-on-the-creation-of-the-slime]

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Ugh....am I the only one who gets an unpleasant jab when a Japanese developers talks about a PC game? =/

It's so sad that the game that inspired him comes from one of the most neglected platforms in Japanese video game history. Well, not so neglected, I suppose, considering that they still see some sort of logic in releasing PC versions of games exclusively in one of the world's weakest PC gaming markets. -_-

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
I now want to go and try out Wizardry, otherwise, I absolutely love Dragon Quest and Persona so I won't scoff at such awesome progeny from a game that probably should be far more popular over here than it is.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
First the quest system now the mascot. Tell me what else is inspired by us westerns?

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Oh, shit! You mean "J"RPG stuff was based off of "W"RPG stuff, way back when?! Well, duh. And Wizardry/Might & Magic/Ultima/whatever was inspired by D&D/pen'n'paper games in general. All the themes/worlds of RPGing came from the west (and were ripped off from, basically, Tolkien + assorted mythology + pulp fantasy). As far as the "slime" goes, D&D had, let's see.. Green Slime, Ochre Jelly, Black Pudding (har har), Gelationous Cube.. I'm probably forgetting a few more. It would be interesting to pinpoint where exactly the idea for a globular slime-style monster came from, originally. I'm guessing either "The Blob" movie or something by Lovecraft. But those are rather intimidating "enemies" - who decided to make it so small and weak? Hmm, I dunno.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Tom Phoenix said:
It's so sad that the game that inspired him comes from one of the most neglected platforms in Japanese video game history.
I take it you've never heard of Visual Novels before.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
ahlycks said:
zombie711 said:
Fist the quest system now the mascot. Tell me what else is inspired by us westerns?
god dammit you guys. just give it a rest, i'm sure western rpgs took things off of Japanese ones. too bad they did not copy the fact that the Japanese ones are fun to play *glare*

edit:Or the fact that they have a good story
you should be careful of what you say, as you do not want to start a flame war. Also bioware's sonic chronicals borrows alot from jrpg's and has a very good story.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Love me some DQ however i'm pissed that every installment from now on will most likely be on a Nintendo platform. I wanted so badly to play the 9th installment on my ps3.

Anyways yeah i wish the slime was more iconic in the west maybe people would have some respect for one of the best rpg franchises of all time.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I love me the slimes. Also, I want Yuji Hori to admit that he has someone on payroll just to come up with the groan-inducing puns for monster names.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Tom Phoenix said:
Ugh....am I the only one who gets an unpleasant jab when a Japanese developers talks about a PC game? =/

It's so sad that the game that inspired him comes from one of the most neglected platforms in Japanese video game history. Well, not so neglected, I suppose, considering that they still see some sort of logic in releasing PC versions of games exclusively in one of the world's weakest PC gaming markets. -_-
I don't agree with that assumption at all. Perhaps things have changed. A trip to the local Net cafe here in Japan will surprise you. Everyone is playing MMOs and PC RPGs. Also, the majority of Love Sims and interactive novels are on PC as well (not talking about the over publicised and distorted (in the West) adult games). PC based gaming might not be as big as consoles, but it's plenty big enough. The difference is that it fills a niche that is more than a little different.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
scotth266 said:
Tom Phoenix said:
It's so sad that the game that inspired him comes from one of the most neglected platforms in Japanese video game history.
I take it you've never heard of Visual Novels before.
I have heard of visual novels before, but a single genre of games (if you can call them that; they probably fall more under the term "interactive fiction") doesn't really change the fact that the PC has always been under the radar over there. In Japan, console is king.

Of course, ironically, the fact that console is king in Japan is precisely the reason why the PC platform dominates in South Korea, since the country maintained an embargo on Japanese goods for a very long time (and still partially does so).

UberNoodle said:
Tom Phoenix said:

I don't agree with that assumption at all. Perhaps things have changed. A trip to the local Net cafe here in Japan will surprise you. Everyone is playing MMOs and PC RPGs. Also, the majority of Love Sims and interactive novels are on PC as well (not talking about the over publicised and distorted (in the West) adult games). PC based gaming might not be as big as consoles, but it's plenty big enough. The difference is that it fills a niche that is more than a little different.
Perhaps. It is rather peculiar that Last Remnant saw a PC release and that Front Mission Evolved is also seeing a PC port. I guess with Japanese developers increasing their focus on the Western market, the PC is getting some love as a result of that as well.

I guess we will just have to wait and see how this experiment turns out.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Hm, that's good.

Maybe later developers will start making JRPGs less liner and more true to the definition of 'role-playing'.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
ahlycks said:
god dammit you guys. just give it a rest, i'm sure western rpgs took things off of Japanese ones. 1.) too bad they did not copy the fact that the Japanese ones are fun to play *glare*

edit: 2.) Or the fact that they have a good story
1. This is purely subjective, hardly a point in favor of your argument.

2. Not only subjective, but not even related to the genre in question. What decides a good story is whether or not the team of writers are any good and they're being given good direction.

Also, be careful when talking about this in such a manner. It can lead to a flamewar, then again it could also easily lead to a sensible debate, such is life. And when you refer to Western RPGs taking things from Japanese RPGs, I'm going to assume you meant that they've taken aspects or ideas and either used them or attempted to improve upon them. If so: I'm sure there are.

Otherwise, I'm sure there is a form of logic that can prove you wrong. I already thought of it myself, but I'm not here to discuss that, I'd rather assume you meant what I've taken into assumption.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
I have to ask, whats wrong with linear games? Linearity lends itself better to storytelling.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
ahlycks said:
zombie711 said:
Fist the quest system now the mascot. Tell me what else is inspired by us westerns?
god dammit you guys. just give it a rest, i'm sure western rpgs took things off of Japanese ones. too bad they did not copy the fact that the Japanese ones are fun to play *glare*

edit:Or the fact that they have a good story
Someone has never heard of Bioware.