Google Invests Over $100 Million Into Zynga

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Google Invests Over $100 Million Into Zynga

The Farmville developer is apparently negotiating a deal with Google to be the cornerstone of its new game service.

While you might not have played a Zynga game yourself, it's almost guaranteed that you know someone who has. With tens of millions of players around the world, Zynga's games have incredible reach, something that Google is apparently trying to tap into with an injection of venture capital and a new strategic partnership.

Sources suggest that Google invested between $100 million to $200 million into the casual game developer, and is in talks to make games like Farmville and Mafia Wars a major part of a Google Games service, believed to be launching later this year. If such a partnership does happen - and it's hard to see any reason why it wouldn't - Google Games could become a very big player in social gaming very quickly, thanks to users coming from all of Google's other services.

Zynga has made $350 million in revenue in the first part of this year, say sources, with around half of that being operating profit. Projections for 2011 suggest that Zynga expects revenues of over a billion dollars. The deal with Google is just part of nearly $500 million in venture capital raised in the last year.

Source: Techcrunch [http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/10/google-secretly-invested-100-million-in-zynga-preparing-to-launch-google-games/] via Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/google-invest-over-100-million-in-zynga-prepares-for-google-games/]

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Google are going to get a return in the short term but there not going to be making money for long.

The whole Ville thing is going to end in a few years, but they'll probably get there money back and more.

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
Yeah I agree with DSM. I think (or at least hope) that those 'grinding/building up' type games will wear out in a few years. I never played them myself but people I know who were into farmville never play it anymore, I don't think anyone I know plays Zynga games now that I think of it.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Oh look, it seems that they have completely forgotten about their famed "Don't Be Evil" motto... not like it ever meant something, anyway.

I sorta wonder if good ol' Google has "chronic backstabbing disorder" or not. After all, when you want to take over the world, there can be only one.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
What!? D:

If I begin getting Zynga games in my Android Market...

I'll have to ignore them! xD

Silly Zynga and their twisted morals.

MissPixxie

Mar 15, 2010
Lem0nade Inlay said:
Yeah I agree with DSM. I think (or at least hope) that those 'grinding/building up' type games will wear out in a few years.
I just worry about what will follow them, they're bad enough on their casual level...

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I have to echo The DSM's sentiments and say that Zynga games are now finally on the way out. Unless Zynga actually pulls some creativity and originality out of their rear ends and injects a bucketful of interactivity into their games - people will leave them in droves in a few years.

Don't get me wrong, Zynga will continue to make money for a while - but zeitgeist has moved on.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Shame to see that although Google may have promised not to be evil, they can certainly be boring.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
poiumty said:
Capo Taco said:
a huge hit on google's credibility.
No, a huge hit on google's DIGNITY. What are they doing making deals with a morally dubious company? For fucking shame.
It's all about the money, Google doesn't really care whether the Zynga is morally dubious or not, all they care about is a profit.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Google?! WWHHHHHHHYYYY?!?!

A terrible blow to google and everything it stands for, if Zynga do join I may have to never use it again!

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
They obviously have money to burn anyway. Investing in casual seems smart at the moment for some. However "girlfriend" and "mom" have short attention spams and this casual thing may blow over in a year or two.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Capo Taco said:
a huge hit on google's credibility.
They're not in it for credibility. They're in it for all the people who play it...and the money that comes along with it. Especially the money that comes along with it.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
If the recent Wii down turn is any indication, it is that casual gamers don't invest long term.